Kelvin Benjamin Alert: Tryout with Giants [Edit: signed as TE]

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Kelvin Benjamin Alert: Tryout with Giants [Edit: signed as TE]
12 hours ago, Logic said:

I’ll never hate on Kelvin Benjamin. He made two crucial catches in the Colts snow game that led to the Bills winning. Had the Bills lost that game, they would not have broken the drought and made the playoffs that year.

Kelvin Benjamin directly contributed to a game outcome that allowed the Bills to make the playoffs.

I’ll never say a negative thing about him.

.....That said, it WAS pretty funny when Booger said he was one Popeye’s biscuit short of being a tight end. 

I never hated KB.   And I supported the trade at the time because I felt that McBeane and Whaley had botched the WR situation so badly that offseason that they were absolutely desperate for help.   McWhaley not picking up the Watkins then-not-fully guaranteed option was dumb........drafting/acquiring the unexceptional Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews and trying to become bigger and slower at WR bordered on inexplicable........then Beane trading Watkins for a compromised return without the option year killed the teams offensive potential.   After 3 consecutive poor/medicore WR drafts for the NFL........the market for veteran WR was barren.

Unlike the majority on this site.....many of whom thought the Bills had a "tank year" roster............... I understood that the Bills were still taking a veteran laden 10-6 caliber team to camp in 2017.    I knew how much making the playoffs meant from day one that McDermott was hired.  No name hires can't afford to come out losing.  

In the McDermott regime they have an unfortunate history of making the wrong decision the first time..........but have also earned the reputation for learning from and correcting the mistake.    The growth mindset.   It's hard to build a "dominant" roster with 1 step back and then 1 step forward but it's worked well enough to have a good one that is capable of winning big with a franchise QB at the helm.

But early on, the reponses to mistakes weren't as consistently good.   KB didn't replace Watkins......Watkins played well enough in 2017 to earn a $16M/year deal so as much as people here trashed him for not putting up a massive statistical year in LA he had A LOT of value.       

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, Just in Atlanta said:

I often don't understand how people can dislike players they don't even know. But the vitriol for Kelvin Benjamin, long removed from Buffalo, is deserved. 

Laziest receiver I've ever seen. Guy would give up on routes, and not even attempt to tackle a defender after he gave up an interception. To have that kind of skill, and paycheck, and act that way on national TV is something I just can't understand. No idea what McBeane saw in this fatso. 

Remember their project 1st round QB Allen trying to build better rapport with him, "Dude want to run some routes and warm up with me?"

"No".

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never hated KB.   And I supported the trade at the time because I felt that McBeane and Whaley had botched the WR situation so badly that offseason that they were absolutely desperate for help.   McWhaley not picking up the Watkins then-not-fully guaranteed option was dumb........drafting/acquiring the unexceptional Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews and trying to become bigger and slower at WR bordered on inexplicable........then Beane trading Watkins for a compromised return without the option year killed the teams offensive potential.   After 3 consecutive poor/medicore WR drafts for the NFL........the market for veteran WR was barren.

Unlike the majority on this site.....many of whom thought the Bills had a "tank year" roster............... I understood that the Bills were still taking a veteran laden 10-6 caliber team to camp in 2017.    I knew how much making the playoffs meant from day one that McDermott was hired.  No name hires can't afford to come out losing.  

In the McDermott regime they have an unfortunate history of making the wrong decision the first time..........but have also earned the reputation for learning from and correcting the mistake.    The growth mindset.   It's hard to build a "dominant" roster with 1 step back and then 1 step forward but it's worked well enough to have a good one that is capable of winning big with a franchise QB at the helm.

But early on, the reponses to mistakes weren't as consistently good.   KB didn't replace Watkins......Watkins played well enough in 2017 to earn a $16M/year deal so as much as people here trashed him for not putting up a massive statistical year in LA he had A LOT of value.       

Watkins hurt himself.  Lots of reports out there. Understand why they traded him. Become a me first type player and rest is history.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Watkins hurt himself.  Lots of reports out there. Understand why they traded him. Become a me first type player and rest is history.

Benjamin was even worse.   He was lazy and a bad teammate.   The issues became abundantly clear in the preseason of 2018.........yet rather than cutting bait like they did with Watkins after he had argument on the sideline in preseason game #1 of 2017.............they rode it out with KB and wasted $9M for about half a season before surreptitiously cutting him. :lol:  

This is the thing........when McD came in the assumption was that everyone he would let go had personality issues that limited the teams ability to win............whether it was Robert Woods or Gilmore or Watkins or Darby or Dareus.    Over the next two seasons every one of them played on teams that made it to championship games or SB's.  

You can't keep everyone........but obviously the narrative that they only kept and collected the wheat and threw out the chaff was actually very incorrect.

It came home to roost in that 2018 season with KB's total lack of interest and Vontae Davis quitting at halftime and the entire, expensive class of free agents being a waste of space.   That 2018 team with "their guys" was an embarrassment..........except for Josh Allen.   That great pick made a real shaky stretch of personnel decisions look worthwhile.........when in fact, it was a very poor start for them in pro personnel decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the thing........when McD came in the assumption was that everyone he would let go had personality issues that limited the teams ability to win............whether it was Robert Woods or Gilmore or Watkins or Darby or Dareus.    Over the next two seasons every one of them played on teams that made it to championship games or SB's.  

You can't keep everyone........but obviously the narrative that they only kept and collected the wheat and threw out the chaff was actually very incorrect.

I just want to point out that I don’t think Woods or Gilmore can fairly be classified as players that McDermott “let go”.

Both were free agents, and because of the Rex Ryan clown show, the Marrone ridiculousness, and the general dumpster fire atmosphere that preceded McDermott’s arrival, I don’t think any amount of money was going to get either guy to stay here. They both wanted out of Buffalo badly, and I don’t blame either one of them, and their departure had nothing to do with McDermott.

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is the problem with him as a TE.  If he is not going to block, the team is better off with a WR on the field.  Same with Tebow.

Tebow will prob block at least. 

is Engram still on their roster?  

8 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

TE? Because he is such a willing blocker?  Lol!

I think this is like a Super Model getting a job as a Plus Size Model for a catalogue on a contingency basis. It’s not exactly flattering.   🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, cle23 said:

FB_IMG_1621214018627.jpg

Does not have a ghost of a chance of sticking on roster.

Kelvin : Four-million dollars?

Dave Gettleman: Yes. Four-million dollars. And, um, how would you like that, Mr. Benjamin?

Kelvin : Tens and twenties?

Dave Gettleman: No, a cashier's check!

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I saw the KB trade as a both a push for the playoffs (we were more competitive than we thought we would be in 2017) and at worst, a "cheap" potential #1/2 WR for our rookie QB the next season.

As such, it wasn't a terrible idea. Worked out horrifically, yes. But KB comes into Buffalo ready to work, he would have fit quite nicely on the JA timeline.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Benjamin was even worse.   He was lazy and a bad teammate.   The issues became abundantly clear in the preseason of 2018.........yet rather than cutting bait like they did with Watkins after he had argument on the sideline in preseason game #1 of 2017.............they rode it out with KB and wasted $9M for about half a season before surreptitiously cutting him. :lol:  

It came home to roost in that 2018 season with KB's total lack of interest and Vontae Davis quitting at halftime and the entire, expensive class of free agents being a waste of space.   That 2018 team with "their guys" was an embarrassment..........except for Josh Allen.   That great pick made a real shaky stretch of personnel decisions look worthwhile.........when in fact, it was a very poor start for them in pro personnel decisions. 

Was Benjamin a worse teammate?  I don’t claim to know how bad KB was, but sammy admitted how bad he was in Buffalo.  I’m sure you read Tyler Dunnes article in BR.  Getting staying up all night, every night completely ripped and half a**ing it through practice.  Not sure how one could be worse than that tbh.  rippedhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes.amp.html 

Also.....cutting bait with Sammy was receiving a 2nd rd pick and EJ Gaines. Cutting bait with Benjamin was cutting him.  Much more incentive to cut bait when you get a 2nd rd pick and a starting CB.  Darby, got a draft pick.  Dareus, got a draft pickZ. Gillislee, got a draft pick. they weren’t thrown away, insinuating that they got nothing for them in return.  They got picks all of them. 

I hated letting gilmore go, but he didn’t wanna be here. I hated letting Woods go.  We knew his Woods’ heart never left LA.  He was going home regardless. Had nothing to do with his attitude. He didn’t wanna be here, just like gilmore.  I don’t blame either of them for wanting to leave. 

I’m shocked that you didn’t use the word “luck” once.  After all, that’s what McB is.  Lucky. 

• Like (+1) 3