Other Teams & Players You Don’t Mind Succeeding (except against us)

Over the last 20 years I've had to have an NFC team to root for in the post season to beat the patriots in the Super Bore. That team is the Saints. On Thanksgiving this year I won't be rooting for them, though I hope they go 16-1 and face the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Any player or team playing the patriots or Bucs I hope has a great game and wins.

I always want to see Fitz do well unless it’s against us.  WFT has a nice defense and they added some offense.  I don’t like rooting for a team that destroyed us in SB26, but Rivera seems like a great guy, groomed our guys, and would love it anytime they can beat Philly and Dallas twice.  I’m ambivalent on the Giants as they humiliated the Pats twice in SB’s.  I love them for doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

Most recently had a soft spot for the Coughlin led Giants teams. You know, those teams that beat the Pats in 2 SBs.

A debt of gratitude to big blue back then! Not anymore. They have gone off the reservation. 

Always kinda liked the Colts. Sure, Reich and all. They were also the first game I went to see at War Memorial. Always admired Bert Jones too! 

Almost forgot. Just mentioned in another thread the WFT. I like what Rivera is building down there. Rivera/Fitz I could hook my wagon to in the NFC presently. 

Edited by inaugural balls

I have lived in the Bay Are for 11 years now (San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose), so I don't mind if San Francisco does well, though I am not really a fan. I have also been spoiled by the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco Giants multiple championships in the past decade. Easy to support those two teams when Buffalo doesn't have any. The A's and Sharks have also done well. But I can't stand the former Oakland Raiders though.

Now when I lived in southern Maine in the 90's, the Patriots fanaticism was insane. I couldn't stand it.

Edited by chongli

Cool topic and some great replies.

I grew up in Philly, never really like the Iggles but they were the home team.  As a kid I liked the Raiders.....was a tough time in our house when the Raiders beat the Iggles in the SB XV!!  I always tell everyone my first words were Dallas Sux!  Not huge WFT not NYG fan either......the way my parents rooted is why.

I then moved to Rochester NY.  I had a co worker that was a DIE hard Bills fan, they were 2-14 then, actually 2-14 2x's in a row.  He begged/pleaded with me to go to a game.  Just go for the tail gate!  Thank goodness I did.  Ended up getting season tixs in 1986 and finally relinquished them in 2009.  Been to a handful of games after that and then moved to Southwest FL 3 years ago.  DIE HARD BILLS fan now.  Amazing to me how many there are down here.  Specially when all the snowbirds are here.

I kinda sorta like TB.....that is until TB12.  Never liked that guy, respected him but never liked him as a human.

I root for ANYONE playing the Cowgirls

I root for Stafford for sure

I root for da Raiders - one colorful fan base there!!

I root for Any Reid and Frank no matter where they coach now or in the future.

GO BILLS!

I have always like the Saints.

Back in the Aaron Brooks years, they were always exciting to watch, but stunk.

Cool uniforms, cool city, easy to root for during the Katrina years.

Then Drew Brees came along and made them more fun to watch and he's a likeable guy as well.

If my Bills fandom is a 10, Saints are about a 3, but every other team is a 2 or less.

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I don’t have a 2nd team. I love the Bills. That’s like having a backup girlfriend or something. Which would be cool but mostly frowned upon. 

As a kid (very young) I fell in love with the Bills.  My Mom's whole family is Bills fans and I naturally rooted for them.  Being in CNY though, my Dad's family were mostly Giants fans so I rooted for both teams.  Then wide right happened.  So I dropped the Giants and picked up the Redskins because I liked Gibbs, the color yellow, and they could get revenge on the Giants.  Then over officious jerks happened and I officially gave up having a second team.

I do root for the Packers though as my Aunt who passed was a huge fan.  I'm not really a fan though as I will root against them if it is convenient for the Bills.

Due to my fantasy football addiction I do have a lot of players I like to follow:

Megatron - possibly my favorite non-Bill.  He was just absolutely unstoppable.  Retired obviously but HOFer for sure imo even though the career was brief.

Julio Jones - don't need to explain really another amazing wr.

Keenan Allen - maybe the most underrated player in the league.

Derrick Henry - love watching him run the ball.  I will admit the violence he runs with is fun to watch.  I know it was against the Bills but wow he sent Norman to another dimension!

DeAndre Hopkins - used to love this dude but then hail murray happened and now ***** that dude lol

It is players and coaches more than teams. 

I think Drew Brees is my favourite NFL player of all time, so I normally ended up rooting for the Saints in the NFC come playoff time. Now Drew is gone they won't have any pull for me. 

John Harbaugh I just love. Great football coach and unlike his brother who I always find objectionable when on any kind of media I think John comes across well. His session with the Buffalo media before the playoff game last year where he was talking about his relationship with McDermott and coaching together in Philly was typical of him. His record in Baltimore is incredible when you consider he has never had a Quarterback that was a real top flight elite guy. Yes Flacco had that playoff run, and yes Lamar won an MVP but in a tough division where Pittsburgh are always competitive and Cincy had a nice run the first half of this decade and now Cleveland are on the rise he just always turns out good football teams. 

Fitz. How could you not love Fitz? Heart of a lion. 

After that there is a bunch of guys I really liked as draft prospects who went undrafted and then proved their worth who I always root for because I felt they got passed on - the Roby Andersons, the James Robinsons, the Allen Lazards and the Bryce Huffs. 

Most other teams/players that I root for are still at least tangentially Bills related.

I root for Fitzpatrick. He's the biggest one.

Starting this year, I'll be rooting like hell for Sam Darnold, because I think the Jets did him wrong and because his becoming a star elsewhere would make them look like the fools they are.

Both of those clearly relate back to the Bills.

I guess the only non Bills related rooting I would do would be for the Raiders. The league is more fun when the Raiders are winning. And even though he's a goofy sonofabitch, I like Jon Gruden.

Another vote for Fitz.

Part of why I became friends with one of my best buds from college was relating over Bills/Browns woes, so them. Fun to talk about both teams now.

Theo Riddick. Heck any Domers that don’t go to division rivals.

Reich.

John Brown. Liked his game before we signed him.  

Edit: Kamara because he’s fun to watch and was the primary reason for a couple fantasy championships 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

Players:  Anyone who played at Kentucky, as I am a huge UK fan.  I also tend to pull for former Bama players to do well, because I live in AL and watch a lot of their games with friends who are big Bama fans.

Teams:

(1) Steelers.  Love their history and uniforms;

(2) Titans.  Grew up in TN and Nashville is only 3 hrs from me now; and

(3) anyone playing the Pats.  

50 minutes ago, section122 said:

As a kid (very young) I fell in love with the Bills.  My Mom's whole family is Bills fans and I naturally rooted for them.  Being in CNY though, my Dad's family were mostly Giants fans so I rooted for both teams.  Then wide right happened.  So I dropped the Giants and picked up the Redskins because I liked Gibbs, the color yellow, and they could get revenge on the Giants.  Then over officious jerks happened and I officially gave up having a second team.

I do root for the Packers though as my Aunt who passed was a huge fan.  I'm not really a fan though as I will root against them if it is convenient for the Bills.

Due to my fantasy football addiction I do have a lot of players I like to follow:

Megatron - possibly my favorite non-Bill.  He was just absolutely unstoppable.  Retired obviously but HOFer for sure imo even though the career was brief.

Julio Jones - don't need to explain really another amazing wr.

Keenan Allen - maybe the most underrated player in the league.

Derrick Henry - love watching him run the ball.  I will admit the violence he runs with is fun to watch.  I know it was against the Bills but wow he sent Norman to another dimension!

DeAndre Hopkins - used to love this dude but then hail murray happened and now ***** that dude lol

Oh yeah fantasy football changes everything. One year I ended up with Tom Brady as my QB1 and I had to wish for him to do good 🤮

I don't root for any other teams.  I was born and raised in Buffalo and I can't fathom rooting for any other team to succeed.  I've lived in DC, LA, SF and San Diego as an adult and could never work up any interest in following the local teams.  Having said that, in any individual game, if there's a team that I hate, I'll root for their opponent to win.  

As far as players go, Fitz is the only one I truly enjoy watching succeed.  He's just a great, funny dude, with an exciting style of play.