Other Teams & Players You Don’t Mind Succeeding (except against us)

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just hope someone else beats KC in the playoffs. Whether that is Baltimore or Cleveland or Indy or LA I don't really care... but I think the Bills can beat any other team in the conference. I just don't love our chances against KC because the way to beat them doesn't really line up with our strengths at this moment in time. If the bills don't have to play KC in the playoffs next January I am confident they will make the Superbowl (obviously subject to no major injuries etc)

It would be great if someone else can knock them off but I still hope the Bills can get the #1 seed. This way they wont have to play WC weekend and I will take my chance with the Bills at home come playoff time. 

For some reason, unlike a lot of people here, I can't stand GB.

Gonna go with the Chargers as my #1 side chick, I think. Always playing second fiddle to the Rams, underrated and I honestly feel bad that they had to endure Anthony Lynn's idiocy in a season where they could have done so much more. Justin Herbert is one of the most fun QBs in the league.

The Browns...unless it ends up coming at our expense. Their fans have suffered long enough.

One of my best buds is a Lions fan, so I gotta include them. Plus, how can you dislike a kneecap biting culture?

The Panthers, I was a big fan of Julius Peppers and Steve Smith in the past.

Finally, I have a soft spot for the Football Team. I find the moniker so amusing, I like the colours, and I respect that, no matter how much everyone hates his guts, Dan Snyder is too much of a Football Team fan to ever willingly sell the team.

I used to like the Rams a lot in the Kurt Warner days, but now they have the ugliest jerseys in the league (and blue is my favourite colour) plus they are pretty boring to watch.

With other NFL teams, it's about how much I like the players, coaches and fans.  Sometimes the city itself. 

I also get very tired of seeing the same teams winning all the time, so I often root for the underdogs to start finding success.

So outside of the AFC East, it often changes by the year.

For instance, I was fine with Tampa Bay until they added Tom Brady, who is probably my least-favorite player of all-time.

I liked Kansas City until Tyreek Hill, and Andy Reid's son destroying the life of that little girl.  Now I just can't support them.

I'm tired of teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans, Dallas and would like to see some other teams get attention.

As someone else mentioned, Indianapolis has always fielded teams with likable players and coaches.  I also wouldn't mind seeing teams like Chicago or Detroit find some success in their rebuilds.

It used to be KC because of their fan base but.....although many like him....I think Andy Reid is a douche and some of the stuff they’ve done the last few years moved them off their perch for me.  I’d say Vikings, Panthers from when Reich played there, and the Lions because geez.  But nobody really.

I want to see Justin Fields and Trey Lance succeed. Sam Darnold too. I love Justin Herbert as well and would like to see them overtake the Chiefs in the next few years. 

I like what Rivera is doing in Washington and want to see them take over the NFC East.

Honestly, however unlikely, I would like to see Tebow make a difference as an H back in the league. I can't fathom why people don't like the dude. 

Browns.  I grew up and lived most of my life in Cleveland and am a lifelong fan.  When it comes to the Browns and Bills playing each other I’ll root in utilitarian fashion.  If they meet in the playoffs then I’ll root for the team I think is better and has the better chance at winning it all.

Bears - Because of ST coordinator Chris Tabor and QB Justin Fields.  Got to know the Tabor family a bit when he was with the Browns.  Great people.  Also I’m a big fan of Fields as a player and would love to see one of my Buckeyes succeed in the NFL as a QB. 

Fitz - for the reasons mentioned and because a friend of mine got to know him a bit when he played here.  Had nothing but good things to say about him.  

Josh McCown - in all likelihood he’s retired now, but I wanted him to win a playoff game so bad.  He’s one of the true class acts in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, however unlikely, I would like to see Tebow make a difference as an H back in the league. I can't fathom why people don't like the dude. 

Speaking personally I find his very outspoken religious views a little grating. Some of the groups he has aligned himself with have views that I personally find offensive. I don't object to anyone having faith, their faith is their personal right as much as my atheism is mine, but when they are so outspoken about it in the public eye they should expect scrutiny of some of the positions they align themselves to. 

That is different to my view on him as a player, as I said previously, I always try and separate the personal from the professional. I don't hate him, I won't be rooting for him to fail, but I never particularly liked him as a character or rated him as a Quarterback. I think had he been willing to convert earlier in his career he might have found success in the NFL as a tight end / h-back. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Speaking personally I find his very outspoken religious views a little grating. Some of the groups he has aligned himself with have views that I personally find offensive. I don't object to anyone having faith, their faith is their personal right as much as my atheism is mine, but when they are so outspoken about it in the public eye they should expect scrutiny of some of the positions they align themselves to. 

That is different to my view on him as a player, as I said previously, I always try and separate the personal from the professional. I don't hate him, I won't be rooting for him to fail, but I never particularly liked him as a character or rated him as a Quarterback. I think had he been willing to convert earlier in his career he might have found success in the NFL as a tight end / h-back. 

I agree wholeheartedly with all of that.  The only thing I didn’t like about him being in the league was his fans.  Every time he was legitimately criticized for something relating to his play you could count on his rabid fans screaming that any and all criticism was based solely on people hating him for being so outspoken about his religion.  I never held it against him though and I thank him for that playoff win against the Steelers.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If an atheist was outspoken about atheism and spent their entire life dedicated to helping the impoverished in third world countries, advocating for victims of human trafficking and starting a charity that holds a worldwide prom every year for special need students, I certainly wouldn’t attack their “character” due to disagreeing with their atheistic beliefs and an alignment with others who hold those beliefs that I may find problematic.   

If Tebow can actually play the position, I’ll be rooting like crazy for him.. We need more people that exude his positivity, and most people that have been around him say he’s 100% authentic. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

If an atheist was outspoken about atheism and spent their entire life dedicated to helping the impoverished in third world countries, advocating for victims of human trafficking and starting a charity that holds a worldwide prom every year for special need students, I certainly wouldn’t attack their “character” due to disagreeing with their atheistic beliefs and an alignment with others who hold those beliefs that I may find problematic.   

I agree Tebow has done a lot of good. I don't dispute that. I don't root against him as I said, never did when he played. I don't believe I attacked his character either. I said at times he grates on me and I have fundamental issues with the views of some of the groups he has aligned himself with. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Tebow has done a lot of good. I don't dispute that. I don't root against him as I said, never did when he played. I don't believe I attacked his character either. I said at times he grates on me and I have fundamental issues with the views of some of the groups he has aligned himself with. 

Tebow goes out of his way to promote his faith..........you go out of your way to criticize religion.

The whole Houston Texans thing.........where you were defending the heavily religious-invested Deshaun Watson from perceived "Jesus freaks" in management........because you wouldn't like working for religious bosses..........was a weirdness.    

I understand why you may have your strong opinion and have no problem with it........ but the NFL is built heavily on players from the deeply religious US south.........to put yourself in their shoes you gotta' have faaaaaith.:beer:  

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tebow goes out of his way to promote his faith..........you go out of your way to criticize religion.

The whole Houston Texans thing.........where you were defending the heavily religious-invested Deshaun Watson from perceived "Jesus freaks" in management........because you wouldn't like working for religious bosses..........was a weirdness.    

I understand why you may have your strong opinion and have no problem with it........ but the NFL is built heavily on players from the deeply religious US south.........to put yourself in their shoes you gotta' have faaaaaith.:beer:  

I wasn't "defending" Deshaun Watson from "Jesus freaks" I was saying I wouldn't work with people who made decisions based on faith above anything else and you know that and are deliberately mischaracterising the nuance. I get that the NFL is built heavily on religion. I remember hearing Coach Billick talking about he, as a not particularly religious person, always felt slightly out of place in NFL locker rooms when a lot of the pre and post match prayer was taking place. I get it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. 

I don't go out of my way to criticise religion but I do get irritated when it is overtly shoved in my direction at every turn. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they wish to. I don't preach my atheism to them, they don't need to preach their religion to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't "defending" Deshaun Watson from "Jesus freaks" I was saying I wouldn't work with people who made decisions based on faith above anything else and you know that and are deliberately mischaracterising the nuance. I get that the NFL is built heavily on religion. I remember hearing Coach Billick talking about he, as a not particularly religious person, always felt slightly out of place in NFL locker rooms when a lot of the pre and post match prayer was taking place. I get it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. 

I don't go out of my way to criticise religion but I do get irritated when it is overtly shoved in my direction at every turn. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they wish to. I don't preach my atheism to them, they don't need to preach their religion to me. 

I do appreciate that we've been able to have constructive back and forth conversations about this sort of thing without resorting to ad hominem attacks on each other GB, even where we stand on opposite ends of the faith spectrum. You've always been respectful in those interactions.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No, I don't know that.    You were defending Watson for wanting out of Houston using the excuse that Houston management was too religious.........when Watson was a practicing christian.    It's not like christians are like......"whoah there boss.......you believe in God too much for me".    When you are a practicing christian you might roll your eyes at a few things someone says but you aren't really offended by overtly religious people.   

As for the "I don't push my lack of belief on people so I am not as annoying as them" take............of course you don't push not believing in something.   Not believing in something kinda' makes that thing irrelevant and unimportant to you.    For believers it's VERY important and they are taught to spread the word.    It's really not the same thing.......and you know that.B-)

I'm not defending religion here,   I'm ambivalent about it but you seem to think you are not at an extreme..........and the fact that you go out of your way to show offense to it........like the professionally irrelevant situation with Texans management.........indicates otherwise. 

I'll watch all 32 teams in the league but I never catch the same emotion and energy I do from watching the Bills. That's how you know it's your team. 

Aside from that, though...I have a buddy who's a Giants fan and the Bills are his #2 team so we'll keep an eye on how each team is doing. I've kinda always liked the Bengals because I really liked the colors as a kid. I really like Burrow, he just seems like he has that "it" thing they always talk about and he doesn't seem to get rattled at all. Their coach on the other hand, I knighted that guy as the ultimate weenie after his meltdown at the end of the 2019 game when Tre picked it off to seal the game. I guess I just don't get it. It's one thing to be passionate but that can be done without screaming so insanely you look like you're gonna pass out. On top of that, how have all coaches not learned that the temper tantrums never change things?

That James Connor kid had a good story so I was rooting for him. Rodgers is fun to watch because he's so frickin' good, same with Brees. Meh, can't think of anything else but in general I like seeing people succeeding and having fun doing it....unless it's against da Bills, which in that case, I root for them to play like hot garbage. 

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, I don't know that.    You were defending Watson for wanting out of Houston using the excuse that Houston management was too religious.........when Watson was a practicing christian.    It's not like christians are like......"whoah there boss.......you believe in God too much for me".    When you are a practicing christian you might roll your eyes at a few things someone says but you aren't really offended by overtly religious people.   

As for the "I don't push my lack of belief on people so I am not as annoying as them" take............of course you don't push not believing in something.   Not believing in something kinda' makes that thing irrelevant and unimportant to you.    For believers it's VERY important and they are taught to spread the word.    It's really not the same thing.......and you know that.B-)

I'm not defending religion here,   I'm ambivalent about it but you seem to think you are not at an extreme..........and the fact that you go out of your way to show offense to it........like the professionally irrelevant situation with Texans management.........indicates otherwise. 

Utter nonsense. You are intentionally completely mischaracterising my position on the Houston situation. It was about people in a football organisation making decisions based on things other than football. Jack Easterby making hires based on what people believe rather than what they can do. I wouldn't work in that situation and I don't blame anyone else for not wanting to either.  

Believers can believe whatever they want. As for them being taught to spread the word, fine, when they get as far as me I ask that they stop and Tim Tebow has aligned himself with organisations that have said things that would apply to me personally that are downright offensive. 

I don't care if you think I am an extreme. That is up to you. But I suggest anyone who thinks a non-believer is an extremist is in pretty dangerous territory already.