Other Teams & Players You Don’t Mind Succeeding (except against us)

As the title states, are there any other teams or players you are hoping have a good season this year? I don’t like the term “backup team”- but there are some I don’t mind seeing do well... as long as it isn’t against us.

For example, I don’t hate Green Bay or the 49ers. If they do well, good for them. I think it’s just nostalgia from growing up watching those teams always be fairly great with Montana/Young and Favre. Plus, NFC so that helps lol. 

Honestly this year for me I’d like to see Fitz finally get a playoff game in Washington. They should be able to take that division in my opinion with their defense and the struggles of their rivals. I hope week 3 he plays like FitzTragic, but otherwise I wish him well.

• Like (+1) 2

For me, there's a handful:

Colts: mostly due to Reich being there

Chiefs: Andy Reid as a HC and I don't mind seeing young stars like Mahomes rack up accolades

Packers: a classic team with great fans... too bad MGT can't keep star QBs happy there

Cardinals: my second favorite team as a kid because I liked their helmet

Rams: cool uniforms and I want to see Stafford finally enjoy some winning because he is a class act and totally underrated as a QB due to playing in DET

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

For me, there's a handful:

Colts: mostly due to Reich being there

Chiefs: Andy Reid as a HC and I don't mind seeing young stars like Mahomes rack up accolades

Packers: a classic team with great fans... too bad MGT can't keep star QBs happy there

Cardinals: my second favorite team as a kid because I liked their helmet

Rams: cool uniforms and I want to see Stafford finally enjoy some winning because he is a class act and totally underrated as a QB due to playing in DET

If I had to include AFC teams I’d definitely agree with the Colts. Reich is a great coach and they are definitely one team I can respect. I personally can’t cheer for the Chiefs at this point until we take our win and get that monkey off our back.

I just saw the Chargers NFL schedule video and for that alone I may cheer them on. I think Herbert is going to be a force, too. May be a problem down the road for us.

• Like (+1) 2

I used to be a Peyton Manning fan and rooted for him with the Colts and Broncos. I also liked Drew Brees, so I liked seeing the Saints succeed. Frank Reich with the Colts.

Any team that faced NE, although with them dropping back down to reality that's not as important anymore.

I used to root for Andy Reid and the Chiefs until I found out how insufferable their fan base is, plus they have a few players that are easy to root against, like Tyreek Hill. I'm to the point that I enjoy seeing them lose, although I'll always be an Andy Reid fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fitz - probably my favorite football player of all time.

Stafford - got drafted by a dumpster fire of a team and put up HOF numbers every year.

Darnold - got drafted by the biggest dumpster fire in the league and never stood a chance.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Darnold. 

Because Josh and Sam are besties. 

Could definitely get behind this. I hope he plays well and gets a shot on a competent team. Plus, the fabled Carolina Connection... but he’s gotta go back to Jet Level Sam week 15

• Like (+1) 2

San Fran.: One online friend is a fan of theirs, as is one person I used to support (I work at a day hab).  And I thought Jimmy G got a raw deal in NE.

Denver: One online friend, and I really wanted Peyton to nab a ring there.

Indy: As above, I'm a Peyton fan, and I kinda feel a draw to cheer for the estranged former AFC East team.  That, and I'm pulling for Frank.  Really wanted them to make the playoffs last year, but hated that they had to meet us there game one.

Raiders: Had two former co-workers that are fans, loved the unis as far back as a kid.  And I loved the secret connections between Ralph and Al.

Then there are two I have mixed feelings over...

Dallas: My cousin and her husband are Cowboys fans, so I do pull for them.  But I still hate the team for the whole "America's Team" days.  So, I compromise.  I pull for them when it doesn't involve Buffalo.  But when they play the Bills I truly relish any beatdown we put on them, such as the Thanksgiving slaughter.

Tampa: *sigh*.  An online friend of mine is a hardcore Tampa fan, football and hockey, so Tampa used to fall in the above group for a few years.  Now TB12 and Gronk are there and...ugh...I just have mixed feelings.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I root for all former Notre Dame players to be successful in the league. Fitz is an easy guy to root for as well. As far as another team's success goes? When I was a kid I used to root for the Eagles on the side because I liked Randall Cunningham a lot and that defense led by Reggie White. Once that team was dismantled I didn't have any others outside of Buffalo. 

I’m waiting fir the beat down so have fun with it as I expect 100 hate replies.  I grew up in Buffalo (Hamburg) on South Park Ave. so I’m always a 100% a homer.  That will never change.  Against this team it’s Bills all the way when we play them in December.  With that said, I move to Tampa in the early 90’s.  I love my second home and they are an NFC team.  I resisted even liking them somewhat until Dungy came and started to turn around the popsicles culture.  

Since we didn’t play the Bucs, I was so happy they humiliated the Chefs in the SB, and I know a lot of the hate is due to. Brady.  That. Made it even better for me as I hate a lot more BB than Brady.  If the Cheats get sweeped again by us and beaten by the Bucs when they play this year,BB is marginalized and this crap of chess vs. checkers especially when he spent millions and millions in one year with two of the best available TE’s, I’ll be so happy.  I want Belicheck to lose every game against the Bills forever, and the Brady proved it was him not BB.

So my bottom line is I hope the Bucs lose to us in the season, I’ll probably be there in my MGK jersey, the Cheats lose to the Bucs miserably against the Bucs, the Bucs go 14-3, and so do we, and we crush them in the SB.

As Doc Holiday said, my hypocracy only goes so far.  I’ll never root against the Bills, but my life is here now and my friends, my kids, etc. loves the Bucs.

Beyond that, I’d be happy if the Chargers had a Goodyear as I like that Herbert kid.  As far as the Packs, I’d only root for Icebowl, but Rodgers is a ninny.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

As the title states, are there any other teams or players you are hoping have a good season this year? I don’t like the term “backup team”- but there are some I don’t mind seeing do well... as long as it isn’t against us.

For example, I don’t hate Green Bay or the 49ers. If they do well, good for them. I think it’s just nostalgia from growing up watching those teams always be fairly great with Montana/Young and Favre. Plus, NFC so that helps lol. 

Honestly this year for me I’d like to see Fitz finally get a playoff game in Washington. They should be able to take that division in my opinion with their defense and the struggles of their rivals. I hope week 3 he plays like FitzTragic, but otherwise I wish him well.

Cool topic. 

I've built up a hearty hate (well, not really hate--football fan "hate") for most of the AFC (and Cowboys, Eagles, WFT), but the few NFC teams I'm OK with winning other than against us:

New York Giants -- live here, know many fans who are lovely people, Tiki Barber did great for my fantasy team a few years.

Green Bay Packers -- love the fanbase and the Lambeau Leap and feel like they are our cousin in emphatic small-town fandoms (also love that they have stock in team), liked Aaron Rodgers until recent nonsense in which whatever the true story is, there's not really a scenario that paints him in a favorable light here)

Carolina Panthers -- know many people from the area and do an annual draft analysis on a local radio station there

Players I'll root for are mostly just former Bills--and it's still hard in many cases to root for them as if they do great, they go into the "one that got away" category...

Fitz - hard not to root for him and would love to see him in the playoffs someday, while admiring how he keeps finding his way back to starting roles.

Shaq - could not root for him in Miami, but always thought he got a bad rap here.

Jordan Phillips - I'm a well-wisher in that I wish him no specific harm.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m waiting fir the beat down so have fun with it as I expect 100 hate replies.  I grew up in Buffalo (Hamburg) on South Park Ave. so I’m always a 100% a homer.  That will never change.  Against this team it’s Bills all the way when we play them in December.  With that said, I move to Tampa in the early 90’s.  I love my second home and they are an NFC team.  I resisted even liking them somewhat until Dungy came and started to turn around the popsicles culture.  

Since we didn’t play the Bucs, I was so happy they humiliated the Chefs in the SB, and I know a lot of the hate is due to. Brady.  That. Made it even better for me as I hate a lot more BB than Brady.  If the Cheats get sweeped again by us and beaten by the Bucs when they play this year,BB is marginalized and this crap of chess vs. checkers especially when he spent millions and millions in one year with two of the best available TE’s, I’ll be so happy.  I want Belicheck to lose every game against the Bills forever, and the Brady proved it was him not BB.

So my bottom line is I hope the Bucs lose to us in the season, I’ll probably be there in my MGK jersey, the Cheats lose to the Bucs miserably against the Bucs, the Bucs go 14-3, and so do we, and we crush them in the SB.

As Doc Holiday said, my hypocracy only goes so far.  I’ll never root against the Bills, but my life is here now and my friends, my kids, etc. loves the Bucs.

Beyond that, I’d be happy if the Chargers had a Goodyear as I like that Herbert kid.  As far as the Packs, I’d only root for Icebowl, but Rodgers is a ninny.

The Superbowl was so strange for me. I went into it fully prepared to root against Brady and the Bucs, but found myself rooting against the Chiefs and enjoying the beat down they were getting. I guess I was bitter from the championship game and all of the shenanigans between our teams, plus Chiefs fans are the worst.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It really varies from year-to-year.

Two years ago  I was really happy to see Andy Reid finally win a Super Bowl. Now I cant stand the Chiefs and always want to see them lose.  

It's easy to empathize with the Browns and I like seeing them become competitive, but will grow tired of it quickly. 

It's also very easy to root for whoever is my fantasy teams. 

• Like (+1) 2