Anyone been to a game in New Orleans?

Virgil

Here's one thing that I found interesting.  The roads in Nola were destroyed in Katrina 15 years ago...well they just got the check from FEMA last January for 350 mil or something so they've been working on the roads and they should all be repaired by next year supposedly.  So the city should start looking better by the fall.  

4 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

I lived there for awhile, it doesn’t suck. It offers much. Sure, there’s draw backs just like any other city. That said, the NFL wouldn’t select it as a Super Bowl city over and over if it sucked. 

They pick it over and over for the same reason the trade show goes there over and over. It's an excuse for the vendors and sponsors to go there and act ridiculous without their families for a short period of time. If you're into that sort of thing you'll probably like it a lot. If you're not it's not going to be a place you like to go. When she's there for a trade show the majority of her time is spent at the convention center, the hotel, and the areas immediately around there. Also known as the places most tourists would see. She doesn't like to take her run in the morning because the streets in that area are disgusting in the morning, she doesn't like to be out after dark because it's complete amateur hour every night not to mention sketch AF in parts. That makes it not a super fun place to be for her. She looks forward to dinner and they eat at some fabulous places. Other than that, she can't wait to leave.

It's totally different to live in a place as opposed to visit a place. Buffalo is a very nice place to live, it's a terrible place to go from a Tuesday to Thursday for work purposes and then go home.

Went to SB31 (1997, GB v NE).  Had to fly in and out of Pensacola as flights to NO were booked solid (understandable).  Wound up in some pseudo-hotel / hostel.  Phew, that was in a sketchy area.  One block in the "wrong" way and it was not pretty.  I did get to meet Ralph Wilson, among many other NFL types, at the Friday nite NFL cocktail party.

15 hours ago, Mango said:

Has anybody been to a Thanksgiving game? Curious about ticket prices and timing.

There are going to be 6 of us. Looks like we are $250+ to sit way up high. I’m thinking sticker price is high since the season is just kicking off. I can’t imagine NO is all that great with either Hill or Winston. I’d expect to see a price drop. 

When I lived in OKC I thought of hitting a Dallas game on Thanksgiving just because it was something to do. They were a quality team, Romo was playing, and I could grab tickets the week before at sun $200. 

Any thoughts?

Considering I'm only 3 hours away (slightly less) and I'm not sure what I'm doing Thanksgiving, I'm going with the wait and see. Usually NO only cares when they are winning, other times tickets are cheap.

I think they will decrease in value, but who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Considering I'm only 3 hours away (slightly less) and I'm not sure what I'm doing Thanksgiving, I'm going with the wait and see. Usually NO only cares when they are winning, other times tickets are cheap.

I think they will decrease in value, but who knows. 

I keep thinking about QB play, but that defense was really good last year. They managed to win games with a TE behind center. 

They could be in a rough spot by the time they get to November. I could see them "possibly" dropping 5 before NOV. SEA, GB, and TB, plus two more. Unpopular board opinion, the Pats won't be the easy out for any team like they were at the back end of 2020. My wallet is rooting for NO to lose 2 of NE, CAR, or WAS. 

GB

@CAR

@NE

NYG
@WAS

BYE
@SEA

TB

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I keep thinking about QB play, but that defense was really good last year. They managed to win games with a TE behind center. 

They could be in a rough spot by the time they get to November. I could see them "possibly" dropping 5 before NOV. SEA, GB, and TB, plus two more. Unpopular board opinion, the Pats won't be the easy out for any team like they were at the back end of 2020. My wallet is rooting for NO to lose 2 of NE, CAR, or WAS. 

GB

@CAR

@NE

NYG
@WAS

BYE
@SEA

TB

I could see them losing those games for sure but at the same time I have immense respect for Sean Payton. 

He is one of the best coaches at winning with what he has. Brees was not a great QB last year so we will see.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They pick it over and over for the same reason the trade show goes there over and over. It's an excuse for the vendors and sponsors to go there and act ridiculous without their families for a short period of time. If you're into that sort of thing you'll probably like it a lot. If you're not it's not going to be a place you like to go. When she's there for a trade show the majority of her time is spent at the convention center, the hotel, and the areas immediately around there. Also known as the places most tourists would see. She doesn't like to take her run in the morning because the streets in that area are disgusting in the morning, she doesn't like to be out after dark because it's complete amateur hour every night not to mention sketch AF in parts. That makes it not a super fun place to be for her. She looks forward to dinner and they eat at some fabulous places. Other than that, she can't wait to leave.

It's totally different to live in a place as opposed to visit a place. Buffalo is a very nice place to live, it's a terrible place to go from a Tuesday to Thursday for work purposes and then go home.

Sounds like you should go and experience it for yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have been many times both for work and with family. There is plenty to do for a family and my biggest suggestion is stay on other side of Canal St from French Quarter. The city does get crazy in FQ at night but until at least 8 nothing "adult" has happened around me. There is lots of history and cool things there to see even if you have no interest in Bourbon St.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, Virgil said:

Thinking about going to the Bills game there.   Anything I should know, hotels, the city, etc.

Stay in Metairie or Kenner for better hotel prices and just Uber around.

Dedicate a whole day just for the WW2 museum. It’s huge and a lot to take in. A swamp tour is great. The aquarium is cool.

Great restaurants all over, don’t go to any chain restaurants.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

Sounds like you should go and experience it for yourself. 

Nah, I'm good. Thx.

As I've previously stated, the Mrs. Isn't going there for pleasure, ever. I'm not going on a bachelor weekend at my age. Frankly after the length of time I've been married I'm fine trusting her opinion on things and there are enough places on the planet that either one of us has been and liked or that neither of us has been to at all that I don't have a burning need to go there. You can enjoy it there. That's fine.

My vacation money is going towards taking my kids to Wyoming and South Dakota this year. I've been there, none of them have. I liked it. I'm pretty sure they will to. I know them pretty well.

Edited by That's No Moon

26 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Nah, I'm good. Thx.

As I've previously stated, the Mrs. Isn't going there for pleasure, ever. I'm not going on a bachelor weekend at my age. Frankly after the length of time I've been married I'm fine trusting her opinion on things and there are enough places on the planet that either one of us has been and liked or that neither of us has been to at all that I don't have a burning need to go there. You can enjoy it there. That's fine.

My vacation money is going towards taking my kids to Wyoming and South Dakota this year. I've been there, none of them have. I liked it. I'm pretty sure they will to. I know them pretty well.

That’s the point, you’re offering a negative opinion on a city that you really know nothing about, except for what your wife said. There’s more to the city than getting hammered and puking in the streets. It’s a destination city that provides more than bars and Mardi Gras, pretty ideal for a football weekend (which is what the thread is referring to, “Anyone Been to a Game in New Orleans”). Glad you know your kids? As opposed to not knowing them? 😂

Edited by KellyToTasker

5 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

That’s the point, you’re offering a negative opinion on a city that you really know nothing about, except for what your wife said. There’s more to the city than getting hammered and puking in the streets. It’s a destination city that provides more than bars and Mardi Gras, pretty ideal for a football weekend (which is what the thread is referring to, “Anyone Been to a Game in New Orleans”). Glad you know your kids? As opposed to not knowing them? 😂

Fine. I'm sure it's great. Go. Enjoy it. I honestly don't care what any of you do.

Edited by That's No Moon

On 5/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, Redneck said:

Haven't been to a game, I plan on going this season!  My daughter went to Tulane so we went to NOLA several times a year.

Suggestions for eating (been to everyone of these places):

Breakfast:

Café du Monde (the famous place - don't be too discourage by a long line, it can move fast) and use cash.

Café Beignet - more locations, some would say the beignets are better, but to me a tie.

Daisy Dukes - traditional breakfast with some NOLA flair

Ruby Slipper

Lunch/Dinner

Mint (my daughter's favorite) 

Rum House

Shaya

Shaba

Willa Jean

Oceana  Gill

Jimmy J's

Jacques-Imo's

Dominica

Other things:

1.  WWII Museum https://www.nationalww2museum.org/
    1. A must see if you are a WWII buff but you will need more than 1/2 day and it will not be enough.
  2.  Swamp Tour https://www.honeyislandswamp.com/
    1.    A bus will take you about 1 hour in the swamps on a boat where you can see alligators, etc.  They have food for the alligators so you should be safe.
  3.  Bike Tour https://confederacyofcruisers.com/
    1.  Ride a bike around for 3-4 hours and get a tour of the city from a unique perspective.  The guide can explain some of the more interesting locations and terms (a shotgun house??)

I would certain check any new hours or closures due to COVID - hope that helps!

re the Bike tour, my wife and I did that there, and it was ridiculously dangerous. We were all riding in a long line, weaving in and out following our guard through all sorts of traffic. At least when we were around the French quarter it wasn’t a great experience. Not ideal spot to ride. When we got out to the river and to other neighborhoods, it got a little better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.