Anyone been to a game in New Orleans?

Virgil

I love NOLA but will be off to the newly rescheduled fall Jazzfest in October.  So I won't make the Bills game.   

Great food, jazz breakfasts, LaFayette Cemetery, Jackson Square, cool music spots everywhere..    

They love their Saints down there.

Edited by CNYfan

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

My wife has to go there fairly regularly for trade shows.  She hates it.  Easily least favorite place she goes.  Restaurants are awesome, everything else sucks hard apparently.

I lived there for awhile, it doesn’t suck. It offers much. Sure, there’s draw backs just like any other city. That said, the NFL wouldn’t select it as a Super Bowl city over and over if it sucked. 

I have many times and now that I'm living in Pensacola Fl again I'll go many more. Its a fun party place and pretty wild at night in the French quarter, food is great , and if you don't want Rowdy go to the garden District walk past the old homes , cant miss the Manning House . Like all big cities you need to avoid walking alone from the French quarter to your hotel late in the morning if you are in the bag , you could become a target. I treat New Orleans like Vegas , have for for 3-4 days max then get out .

My wife and I were in NOLA during the National Championship Game in 2020. Quite honestly I was expecting a LSU fan onslaught, and it was anything but. We saw a group of LSU fans in the country bar we stopped into, and saw a group of LSU students throwing beads from a balcony on Bourbon Street. But really the only sign that there was a national championship game going on was the Media Zone down by the river. Turned a parking lot into ESPN Zone, FOX, and others had huge booths. Fun seeing that while enjoying our morning Beignets. 

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Has anybody been to a Thanksgiving game? Curious about ticket prices and timing.

There are going to be 6 of us. Looks like we are $250+ to sit way up high. I’m thinking sticker price is high since the season is just kicking off. I can’t imagine NO is all that great with either Hill or Winston. I’d expect to see a price drop. 

When I lived in OKC I thought of hitting a Dallas game on Thanksgiving just because it was something to do. They were a quality team, Romo was playing, and I could grab tickets the week before at sun $200. 

Any thoughts?

I went to a Saints, Rams game during Goff’s rookie year (Thanksgiving weekend/Sunday). Picked up the tickets off StubHub at $25 per. Granted we sat up high, but the seats certainly weren’t bad (around the 40 yard line, upper level). The Saints weren’t even “out”, more like “in the hunt”, really easy to grab tickets. 

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I went to a Saints, Rams game during Goff’s rookie year (Thanksgiving weekend/Sunday). Picked up the tickets off StubHub at $25 per. Granted we sat up high, but the seats certainly weren’t bad (around the 40 yard line, upper level). The Saints weren’t even “out”, more like “in the hunt”, really easy to grab tickets. 

That’s sort of what I’m thinking. Also I can’t find anywhere what stadiums are selling ticket wise vs. capacity. I’m gonna take my chances and wait this one out. 

Huh! Appalled by some of the comments. Clearly all these guys have done is go to NOLA and drink up, throw up and pee on the street:) I guess it is a rite of passage to go to NOLA and do that once.

If you go outside the touristy places, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. History, culture, music, fine dining, beautiful parks, unique festivals - you will find everything there.  You will never find nicer people anywhere else. People will actually stop what they are doing and come up to help if they think it is needed.  Walking on St. Charles next to streetcars with the mansions on the two sides will take you back a 100 years.

Yes - one shouldnt stroll out alone outside the French Quarter after 11 pm - but that is stupid in any city. The only thing bad about NOLA is the condition of the roads (potholes everywhere) - so dont drive around in anything but an SUV if you are unfamiliar with the roads.

And the Saints have the second best fan base in the world. They know football. Your Uber driver will likely  know all about the Bills' 17 year drought and Josh Allen. 

You are gonna gave a great time OP!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s sort of what I’m thinking. Also I can’t find anywhere what stadiums are selling ticket wise vs. capacity. I’m gonna take my chances and wait this one out. 

My thoughts too. Peak Saints, probably tough to get, first year without Brees, I like our chances of getting decently priced tickets. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KellyToTasker said:

My thoughts too. Peak Saints, probably tough to get, first year without Brees, I like our chances of getting decently priced tickets. 

My luck will absolutely be that Winston is lighting it up this year. NOLA will have a major outbreak circa October and capacity will be reduced to 25%. Now I will end up just watching the game at the Air BnB. 

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Huh! Appalled by some of the comments. Clearly all these guys have done is go to NOLA and drink up, throw up and pee on the street:) I guess it is a rite of passage to go to NOLA and do that once.

If you go outside the touristy places, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. History, culture, music, fine dining, beautiful parks, unique festivals - you will find everything there.  You will never find nicer people anywhere else. People will actually stop what they are doing and come up to help if they think it is needed.  Walking on St. Charles next to streetcars with the mansions on the two sides will take you back a 100 years.

Yes - one shouldnt stroll out alone outside the French Quarter after 11 pm - but that is stupid in any city.

And the Saints have the second best fan base in the world. They know football. Your Uber driver will likely  know all about the Bills' 17 year drought and Josh Allen. 

You are gonna gave a great time OP!

Live here now. Was just about to post something similar, but you put it much more succinctly. The “it smells like garbage, urine and vomit” take is what tourists say after spending all their time on Bourbon St. It’s akin to the enlightened Buffalo opinion that all it does is snow based on one visit in January or February. 

One correction, those houses are 300 years old. The city celebrated its tricentennial in 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SDS said:

I have not. Talking with family. Reserved a hotel room at Nopsi just in case. 

The Nopsi rocks, I am there too. I was just at a wedding there this past weekend.   For those traveling to NOLA be advised that is also the weekend (11/27/21) of the Bayou Classic, Southern vs Grambling which is a very BIG game.  There will be a ton of fans arriving for that game Friday as well. Plan and book hotel, dinners flights ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, I have been to a game there.  Completely different experience then a Bills game.  My wife grew up in New Orleans and all my in-laws are season ticket holders.  We happen to be in town for a game.  It was last minute and I didn't want to bug my in laws for ticket.  I figured we go to the stadium and scalp tickets.  There is no tailgating but there is a big square adjacent to the stadium with booze, bands and the like.  Leaving the hotel we asked the bellman for tickets and he wanted $300 each.  We passed.  We got there and tried to scape and there wasn't a single seller- it was a late season game with zero playoff implications.  We kept walking around and asking and some guy asked if we were Saints fans.  I lied and said yes, and he gave us two tickets.  

The crowd was fun but not nearly as rowdy or vocal as Bills fans.  The stadium is nice, with escalators to the upper levels.  There are jazz bands on the landings as you walk through the stadium.  Everyone was really friendly, but it lacked the enthusiasm and craziness of a bills game.

One thing to consider is that generally the Saturday after Thanksgiving is the big Grambling/Southern game (Bayou Classic) in the dome.  The French Quarter fills up quick so book your hotel now if you want to stay there.   Also the Bayou Classic fans will be loud and proud- so be ready for that.  The French Quarter is a bit of a walk to the stadium but is walkable.  We took a cab because we were running a bit late (noon start).  Either way transportation was not an issue.  You may want to consider staying at a hotel in the Garden District or Uptown.  Both are close to the stadium but not walkable.  If you stay uptown and want a bit of a walk, the trolley car will get you there. 

There really isn't a bad seat in the house.  We were endzone and the highest level and were fine. 

We had planned on going this year, but ironically my in-laws are coming here for Thanksgiving. 

If you plan on going, book early, make sure you have tickets (literally zero scalping), if dinner is your thing make reservations ahead of time! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, davspo said:

Yes, I have been to a game there.  Completely different experience then a Bills game.  My wife grew up in New Orleans and all my in-laws are season ticket holders.  We happen to be in town for a game.  It was last minute and I didn't want to bug my in laws for ticket.  I figured we go to the stadium and scalp tickets.  There is no tailgating but there is a big square adjacent to the stadium with booze, bands and the like.  Leaving the hotel we asked the bellman for tickets and he wanted $300 each.  We passed.  We got there and tried to scape and there wasn't a single seller- it was a late season game with zero playoff implications.  We kept walking around and asking and some guy asked if we were Saints fans.  I lied and said yes, and he gave us two tickets.  

The crowd was fun but not nearly as rowdy or vocal as Bills fans.  The stadium is nice, with escalators to the upper levels.  There are jazz bands on the landings as you walk through the stadium.  Everyone was really friendly, but it lacked the enthusiasm and craziness of a bills game.

One thing to consider is that generally the Saturday after Thanksgiving is the big Grambling/Southern game (Bayou Classic) in the dome.  The French Quarter fills up quick so book your hotel now if you want to stay there.   Also the Bayou Classic fans will be loud and proud- so be ready for that.  The French Quarter is a bit of a walk to the stadium but is walkable.  We took a cab because we were running a bit late (noon start).  Either way transportation was not an issue.  You may want to consider staying at a hotel in the Garden District or Uptown.  Both are close to the stadium but not walkable.  If you stay uptown and want a bit of a walk, the trolley car will get you there. 

There really isn't a bad seat in the house.  We were endzone and the highest level and were fine. 

We had planned on going this year, but ironically my in-laws are coming here for Thanksgiving. 

If you plan on going, book early, make sure you have tickets (literally zero scalping), if dinner is your thing make reservations ahead of time! 

I’m confused… how are you not living here if your wife is from here? 🤔 Is she embarrassed because you refer to the streetcar as a “trolley”, so she still has some reforming to do before you’ll fit in? 😂

One more thing I’ll add about the Bayou Classic, it’s not a very friendly rivalry. It may be worth finding things to do outside of the Quarter the day of the game…

56 minutes ago, Mango said:

My luck will absolutely be that Winston is lighting it up this year. NOLA will have a major outbreak circa October and capacity will be reduced to 25%. Now I will end up just watching the game at the Air BnB. 

It wouldn’t be a total surprise, the current Mayor could easily make restrictions. 

Haven't been to a game, I plan on going this season!  My daughter went to Tulane so we went to NOLA several times a year.

Suggestions for eating (been to everyone of these places):

Breakfast:

Café du Monde (the famous place - don't be too discourage by a long line, it can move fast) and use cash.

Café Beignet - more locations, some would say the beignets are better, but to me a tie.

Daisy Dukes - traditional breakfast with some NOLA flair

Ruby Slipper

Lunch/Dinner

Mint (my daughter's favorite) 

Rum House

Shaya

Shaba

Willa Jean

Oceana  Gill

Jimmy J's

Jacques-Imo's

Dominica

Other things:

1.  WWII Museum https://www.nationalww2museum.org/
    1. A must see if you are a WWII buff but you will need more than 1/2 day and it will not be enough.
  2.  Swamp Tour https://www.honeyislandswamp.com/
    1.    A bus will take you about 1 hour in the swamps on a boat where you can see alligators, etc.  They have food for the alligators so you should be safe.
  3.  Bike Tour https://confederacyofcruisers.com/
    1.  Ride a bike around for 3-4 hours and get a tour of the city from a unique perspective.  The guide can explain some of the more interesting locations and terms (a shotgun house??)

I would certain check any new hours or closures due to COVID - hope that helps!

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the worst part of going to Nola for a Bills game is the tailgating experience.  Not sure if things have changed since the last time I went, but there was no tailgating.   There was a huge gathering of bills fan at a bar Sunday morning, but it wasn’t the same as being outside in the parking lot, throwing the ball around, the smell of charcoal, the sound of tables smashing.  Bar tailgates suck

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

Thinking about going to the Bills game there.   Anything I should know, hotels, the city, etc.

1. Hotels are old and expensive for what you get. 

2. Bourbon Street and the French quarter is worth seeing but its best for early afternoon drinking and then completely avoided.  Think lunch at Acme/Dragos then bar hopping for a bit and get the f@#$ out before the night crowd starts showing up.  

3. Frenchman street is kinda ok and its where uptight white people go to pretend to like jazz.  You'll love it.

4. Make reservations way in advance for any fancy restaurant.  Its a dining destination so do your research and make the most of your meals.

5. Uptown and the Garden district is night life for adults.

6.  New Orleans is TrashVegas.  There is the same "What happens here stays here" type attitude and and bad behavior is basically obligatory but you're not at the Bellagio next to some high rollers. You're with a crowd who just left WWF Monday Night Raw.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.