Devin Singletary got swoll

19 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Singletary has a career average of 4.8 ypc.  Last year, his “down” year, was 4.4. People need to find a new scapegoat for the run game.  Singletary can improve, and I’m glad he’s working hard, but the 5 guys up front have to do better.  

Remove the first year and remove the occasional 50+ yard scamper in garbage time when the opposing D has turtled (like against the Broncos) and remove the 10 yards or so the D would give him in 3rd and 15+ situations and the like - I'd bet that stellar looking average don't look so stellar. When we needed the tough yards, they consistently didn't come last season. Are some of us maybe a little too harsh on him? Perhaps. But let's not overcorrect and point to his inflated ypc to say he's solid. Tell me what the O-Line did wrong on this drive killer in the championship game?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

How many years did we suffer through front office morons thinking that investing draft capital in the RB position was a good way to go?

In fairness.........a 3rd round pick is a "starting player/majority of carries" round for a RB nowadays..........and Beane used a 3rd rounder on a RB two years in a row.........that's not a guy that doesn't believe in investing draft capital in RB's.

Can't be certain that they wouldn't have drafted one in the 1st round had they not already invested so much.

Singletary and Moss are decent players but,  predictably,  they are picks that are very easy to be at least somewhat justifiably critical of.

I had Singletary as the best back in the RB-weak 2019 draft...... and even I thought a 3rd was a full round reach at least.    Individual RB's don't have much say in the outcome of games any longer so they gotta' be absolute beasts to be worthy of a pick in rounds 1-3.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Remove the first year and remove the occasional 50+ yard scamper in garbage time when the opposing D has turtled (like against the Broncos) and remove the 10 yards or so the D would give him in 3rd and 15+ situations and the like - I'd bet that stellar looking average don't look so stellar. When we needed the tough yards, they consistently didn't come last season. Are some of us maybe a little too harsh on him? Perhaps. But let's not overcorrect and point to his inflated ypc to say he's solid. Tell me what the O-Line did wrong on this drive killer in the championship game?

No,  his production is accurate in those regards.   All backs get boosts from big gains or the occasional 3rd down give up.........which the Bills rarely do, btw.

The only notable stat that helped inflate Singletary's production was a high tendency to run at 6 man boxes in 2019.     There was a weird stat that indicated that Gore ran almost entirely against stacked boxes and Singletary got light ones.   But nonetheless.......4.4 ypc in 2020 was still solid.     Leonard Fournette has a career 3.9 ypc and he has ripped off 80 and 90 yard runs in his career.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I just re-watched the rams game. Singletary looked really good in that game. 14 carries for 71 yards, 5.5 ypa, 4 receptions for 50 yards. He also had a couple of nice pass blocks. Moss was injured that game and didn't play.

Singletary definately has it in him to be a good running back. He showed it his rookie year and he showed it at times in 2020.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Mango said:

So, like, sarcasm is a thing....

I don't think we need 3 new running backs, no. I don't think I have ever said that either. 

I am in the Singletary is not good enough a RB to do what the Bills need him to do camp. I think it is difficult to have a good NFL backfield with two slow shifty guys. Moss has some more physicality to him than Devin, and for whatever reason it looked like Moss also is a little more explosive. I find DS hesitant at times as well. I thought Moss was the better back in 2020. 

I am most certainly not rooting for Singletary's failure. In fact, I am very much rooting for his success at the moment since he is still part of the RB stable. I don't know a ton about Brieda, so as far as I am concerned DS is still very much the lead horse in the running for RB1. "I told ya so's" are worth much less than wins to me. But it is an internet message board, so I have done the message board thing and have (gasp) given my opinion on some of the players on the roster at times even if they are at times unfavorable. 

Sorry to offend Mrs. Singletary. 

That camp, the "he's not good enough a RB to do what the Bills need him to do camp," doesn't make much sense.

He's a very good running back, his excellence in 2019 and his very solid performance in 2020 despite the Bills being one of the absolute worst at yards before contact shows that. And that's what they need, a good RB.

Don't get me wrong, they could use an RB who's terrific, elite, sensational, a home run hitter, all those things. But they don't need it. 

I'm of the belief that what they'd have to give to get one unless they somehow find one in the 5th round some year or as a cheap FA, isn't worth spending on an RB. Other things are much bigger priorities. 

The Chiefs are a great example of that, going with RB in the first and getting not much more out of their running game.

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But on the other hand, remove all the bad runs and his stats look really good!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's like saying that flipping coins produces a lot more tails than heads if you just remove a bunch of the times it comes up heads.

Every RB will look worse if you take out a bunch of his best runs. You don't prove anything by doing so except that if you change the data you change the results. 

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

But on the other hand, remove all the bad runs and his stats look really good!

Hah! Great minds.

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What a ridiculous post.  So remove all his good plays so you can prove he’s bad!?  If you did this same exercise with every RB in the league their stars wouldn’t be very good.  

Sorry, but this post was an epic fail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's typical.  The General Managers on TBD typically think that various players suck and can be traded for 2nd round picks.

At the same time, we believe we can acquire talented players off other rosters for a 5th or 6th rounder.

Spot on, 💯%

:thumbsup: 

47 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

so you want to cherry pick his actual numbers and “bet” they wouldn’t look as good but are too lazy to actually do the math. Got it. Real convincing. The two (again, cherry picked) video clips really help as well. 

20 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I have to disagree here. Rbs adding muscle mass, rarely works out for the better. Your frame has to be able to support it, without losing any speed or quickness. Devin should be more focused on speed and quickness, than power. 

I'm sure he is , just cause he added muscle mass doesn't always correlate to speed or quickness. Look at Frank Gore , just as someone who also swolled up early in his career.  

At the end of the day, he's a professional athlete,  surrounded by professional trainers and coaches and I'm sure the Bills coaching signed off on this off season workout regimine and probably suggested it. 

His vision imo is his biggest strength, not his speed. He always reminded me of a young Leveon Bell. Who was arguably the best back in his prime and was never known for his speed. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're right.  He shouldn't work out.

Really?  I think you missed the point. He’s always had “speed” issues. You can work out and get faster. What you can’t do is add weight and expect to correct a speed problem. 

6 hours ago, sunshynman said:

LOL. Look at all the trash calling him slow! I'd bet all the Bitcoin that he would beat anyone on this board by 20 on the 40 dash!

nobody is criticizing him as a person lol last year everyone was goo-goo over the guy doing sprints up the side of the road, and saying he would compete for the rushing title etc etc... and then had an awful year. so the proof can be in the pudding this year. for everyone saying he averaged 4.4 last year or whatever it was: theres a difference between 4.4 in this offense versus what a 4.4 guy meant to a team in a rushing league. 

Our passing game gave him a back peddling defense, and small passing personnel.  does anyone think thats the same thing here as it is in Baltimore or TN? those runningbacks are going against run D personnel, and opening the pass game for their team, not being the beneficiary. so no 4.4 =/= 4.4ypc. 

He isn’t as bad as some like to make him sound, I do hate the way he catches the ball. I said that long before the playoff game, he drops his hips and it slows him down. 

Running the ball? He will be just fine if the line brings some fight instead of just finesse. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

honest to God i dont know how anyone could disagree with this fair/reasonable take lol yet they did. I must be imaging all the 1st downs he failed to pick up in short yardage positions. Hes a drive killer

50 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Really?  I think you missed the point. He’s always had “speed” issues. You can work out and get faster. What you can’t do is add weight and expect to correct a speed problem. 

Have you never trained in anything before or something?

Adding more muscle increases speed.  He's not adding bad weight....he may not have even gained any weight.  Why do you think sprinters are so muscular?  Muscle weighs more than fat.

Singletary is a professional athlete who works with professional trainers....this is what they do for a living.  Do you think you know something that they don't know?

Usain Bolt when he first turned pro to later on.  He added a ton of muscle.  I can't believe he got faster!

Usain Bolt.jpg

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree, if you take away all of Singletary's good runs, he's not that good.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have you never trained in anything before or something?

Adding more muscle increases speed.  He's not adding bad weight....he may not have even gained any weight.  Why do you think sprinters are so muscular?  Muscle weighs more than fat.

Singletary is a professional athlete who works with professional trainers....this is what they do for a living.  Do you think you know something that they don't know?

Usain Bolt when he first turned pro to later on.  He added a ton of muscle.  I can't believe he got faster!

Usain Bolt.jpg

This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do people know how much weight Motor has gained?

• Like (+1) 1

You can cherry pick anything to suit your purpose.  Throw out his good runs and then yeah, his average declines.  Why don't we throw out the runs with no blocking and see his average climb?  If your point is that sometimes we need someone to grind out a yard or two yards in short yardage, then I agree with you there.  Neither Moss nor Singletary is that kind of back, someone to push a pile for a yard to get a first down.  The Bills should get a bigger back for that duty and I think they have neglected that role.  IMO they thought Moss could it, but I think he's too small too.  As for the drop...he dropped it.  All players screw up.  If you want to vilify him for that, that's your preogative.      

Wow. Guy puts in some serious work in the offseason and people are upset? 

He may never be the guy that everyone wants, but he’s trying his best to be the best he can be. It’s kinda gross seeing grown men bash a 20 something year old kid for trying to do the best he can for his/their team. 

Would you rather he just quits and listens to you guys and decides he’s not good enough? Where does that leave us for next year? Some folks here have a lot of growing up to do.

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1