Devin Singletary got swoll

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

So, like, sarcasm is a thing....

I don't think we need 3 new running backs, no. I don't think I have ever said that either. 

I am in the Singletary is not good enough a RB to do what the Bills need him to do camp. I think it is difficult to have a good NFL backfield with two slow shifty guys. Moss has some more physicality to him than Devin, and for whatever reason it looked like Moss also is a little more explosive. I find DS hesitant at times as well. I thought Moss was the better back in 2020. 

I am most certainly not rooting for Singletary's failure. In fact, I am very much rooting for his success at the moment since he is still part of the RB stable. I don't know a ton about Brieda, so as far as I am concerned DS is still very much the lead horse in the running for RB1. "I told ya so's" are worth much less than wins to me. But it is an internet message board, so I have done the message board thing and have (gasp) given my opinion on some of the players on the roster at times even if they are at times unfavorable. 

Sorry to offend Mrs. Singletary. 

Scoffing at dumb critiques makes someone the player's mother, does it?

And yes, I'm aware that post was supposed to be sarcastic, I just thought it was weird that you'd post something you desire in a sarcastic tone, Mrs. Breida or whoever you want to replace Singletary with, even though the problems with the run game were like 80% because of the OL.

46 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

...because teams play to stop Allen, not Dingleberry...😉

Yeah, I remember all the MVP chants for Josh in 2019.

This is a ridiculous argument. First because Singletary ran up that figure in 2020 while the line had problems and the Bills had one of the lowest yards before contact figures in the league. And second because there are plenty of examples through the years of teams with dominant QBs having RBs who can't make yardage.

The Chiefs in their Lombardi year in 2019 only managed 4.2 YPC. In one of Rodgers' MVP years, 2011, the Pack managed 3.9 YPC. In Peyton's first MVP year they went 3.7 YPC.

The problem wasn't so much the RBs, and Beane agrees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, I remember all the MVP chants for Josh in 2019.

This is a ridiculous argument. First because Singletary ran up that figure in 2020 while the line had problems and the Bills had one of the lowest yards before contact figures in the league. And second because there are plenty of examples through the years of teams with dominant QBs having RBs who can't make yardage.

The Chiefs in their Lombardi year in 2019 only managed 4.2 YPC. In one of Rodgers' MVP years, 2011, the Pack managed 3.9 YPC. In Peyton's first MVP year they went 3.7 YPC.

The problem wasn't so much the RBs, and Beane agrees.

Well, this year should prove if he will be the top dawg moving forward...I, personally, don’t think Singletary is THAT guy...to me, he is a “Patriots” style running back- a dime-a-dozen...I prefer more of a playmaker, a threat to run and catch, not JAG...I have very low expectations for our run game this year, and wouldn’t be surprised if he is not the starter by season’s end...

Edited by JaCrispy

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, this year should prove if he will be the top dawg moving forward...I, personally, don’t think Singletary is THAT guy...to me, he is a “Patriots” style running back- a dime-a-dozen...I prefer more of a playmaker, a threat to run and catch, not JAG...I have very low expectations for our run game this year, and wouldn’t be surprised if he is not the starter by season’s end...

I honestly do think he'll get much of a chance to redeem 2020. I don't care how swoll he is. Breida and Moss will be getting the majority of the touches. Motor will be around as insurance and then probably traded down the road. 

I think it's great that he's in fantastic shape and I expect that he'll have a very good season.  Reasons why?   1) As mentioned, he's in fantastic shape and reports are that he's worked on his explosiveness; 2) he knows that Moss and Brieda present competition for his job and he'll step up; 3) the team will be dedicated to improving the run blocking schemes and play calling, plus they have added some pieces to the OL in addition to the returning vets   

• Like (+1) 2

He's obviously working pretty hard...Good for Motor...

Hopefully it will be good for the Bills because if we can get that kid, Moss, or Brieda to break out in 2021 this Offense will be a hell of a lot of fun to watch...B-)

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Scoffing at dumb critiques makes someone the player's mother, does it?

And yes, I'm aware that post was supposed to be sarcastic, I just thought it was weird that you'd post something you desire in a sarcastic tone, Mrs. Breida or whoever you want to replace Singletary with, even though the problems with the run game were like 80% because of the OL.

Well somebody has a bee in their bonnet.

I hope Singletary and Moss have huge years. It means we didn’t waste 2 3rd rowing picks in a row on a position that still needs upgrading. 

In a weird way I think we want to hope it’s the RB’s and not the OL. That can at least mean we can approach it like the QB or WR room of 2017 and shuffle some people around. Don’t make the same mistake twice kind of thing. 

But if the problem is 80% OL like you say, we have MAJOR issues from the FO down. Because it’s not a “whoops we missed on a draft pick here, and over valued a FA there” it’s a “We went out and picked up the highest paid OC in the league, grabbed some other FA’s, then re-signed our guys to some pretty major extensions”. We have the 3rd most expensive OL in the league now”That’s a major failure in talent identification, cap management, scouting, coaching, etc. I mean it’s possible. We let Wyatt Teller get away. But we should all really hope this isn’t the case. 

All the best Mrs. Singletary. 

Edited by Mango
Signature

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Not impressed one bit. He’s already slow and I’m not sure how adding muscle will help him catch a screen pass. 

That dropped pass in championship game was a game changing play,  not sure how adding bulk makes him more agile and fast

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

That dropped pass in championship game was a game changing play,  not sure how adding bulk makes him more agile and fast

If you can access the Tyler Dunn article on him it’ll give you hope, he’s working with a RB guru (what Palmer is to QBs) and has changed his running style and worked on his speed. His hands....we’ll hit sure that can be improved

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Mango said:

But if the problem is 80% OL like you say, we have MAJOR issues from the FO down. Because it’s not a “whoops we missed on a draft pick here, and over valued a FA there” it’s a “We went out and picked up the highest paid OC in the league, grabbed some other FA’s, then re-signed our guys to some pretty major extensions”. We have the 3rd most expensive OL in the league now”That’s a major failure in talent identification, cap management, scouting, coaching, etc. I mean it’s possible. We let Wyatt Teller get away. But we should all really hope this isn’t the case. 

They just haven't prioritized run blocking o-linemen. The pass blocking last year was mostly great. As much as I got frustrated with Singletary and Moss as runners, they at least were both decent pass blockers. The biggest issue is we had no pass catching ability from our RBs at all. I'm hoping Breida can give us that element. For an offense that spreads out a lot we need a RB that can hit the hole fast and can be a weapon after catching the ball in space. Singletary and Moss are both power backs, in theory. That style makes no sense for the offense we run. James White in his prime should be our prototype.

• Like (+1) 1