Bills interested in CB Steven Nelson

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not saying we missed out on Nelson, but at the same time I don't understand what this team's thought process is at DB especially if heaven forbid White were to get hurt for a significant stretch of time.

Yes there is some potential with guys like Dane Jackson, but a marginal undrafted player like Levi Wallace isn't magically going to get better at this stage of his career and he has proven to be a liability on the field over and over again when it matters and certainly not beating the Chiefs with him as a key piece of the secondary.

The only plausible explanation is that they aren’t high on Nelson.  I have a lot of Steelers’ fans friends, and they think he is pretty meh. But I haven’t really looked hard at his play myself. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed, perhaps they are holding out for a potential cut or trade mid season, or maybe they really believe Dane Jackson can be that guy opposite White…. Either way they’ve been extremely conservative all off season in regards to use of cap space. 

I have a feeling Richard Sherman was also on the radar to be this years 'Josh Norman' type of move but obviously that's off the table now as well given his recent incident.

But regarding the cap space comment, they could and should have freed up more money dumping guys like Addison and Butler but for some reason gave them the old 'Carolina benefit of the doubt' and simply restructured.

And for all the 'run it back' hype with the Bills and fans feeling they should be getting same love as Tampa, big difference is Tampa destroyed the Chiefs and won a SB with the same roster where the Bills got smashed twice by the chiefs are basically hoping that 2 high draft picks + star Lout returning are going to magically change the pass rush and overall defense when they inevitably have to go through the Chiefs again in the playoffs.

And speaking of the Chiefs, did they 'run it back' after losing in the superbowl. On defense maybe but they addressed their biggest need in a major way overhauling their entire oline with key players.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I have a feeling Richard Sherman was also on the radar to be this years 'Josh Norman' type of move but obviously that's off the table now as well given his recent incident.

But regarding the cap space comment, they could and should have freed up more money dumping guys like Addison and Butler but for some reason gave them the old 'Carolina benefit of the doubt' and simply restructured.

And for all the 'run it back' hype with the Bills and fans feeling they should be getting same love as Tampa, big difference is Tampa destroyed the Chiefs and won a SB with the same roster where the Bills got smashed twice by the chiefs are basically hoping that 2 high draft picks + star Lout returning are going to magically change the pass rush and overall defense when they inevitably have to go through the Chiefs again in the playoffs.

And speaking of the Chiefs, did they 'run it back' after losing in the superbowl. On defense maybe but they addressed their biggest need in a major way overhauling their entire oline with key players.

You do know the Chiefs beat TB during the season last year? And you do know New Orleans beat them TWICE?  Then, according to some, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the Bucs could turn around and win during the playoffs unless they make changes to their team. Am I getting this right?

Teams split games within their division on a regular basis, year in and year out, with  no major changes in their personnel.  One reason is, a team with the same players is never the SAME, week in and week out, year in and year out. Schemes can be changed. Players get better and get worse. Get injured and get really healthy. Players can get more comfortable in the scheme and working together, etc.  

Now I'm not suggesting the Bills wouldn't have benefited from being a bit more aggressive in some areas. But given what McBeen have accomplished so far, don't you think they deserve the benefit of the doubt here?  I mean if you have a more impressive NFL resume, then feel free to present it. So far, I'd say this FO is doing pretty well. But ever year is a brand new season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t think anyone’s suggesting “there is no possible way” Bills can beat the Chiefs..... just that everything being equal(health) the Chiefs are clearly the better team personnel wise.... that could obviously change with some in house players getting better(or worse for the Chiefs)or with injury.....I think some are just saying on paper as of right now the Chiefs are clearly better and the Bills did very little to close that gap

Who knows what schemes the coaches have devised to close that gap? Who knows how much better Edmunds will be if he plays the entire year injury free? Who knows how much better Oliver, AJ, etc. will be this year?

I think you mean, the Bills didn't make the major personnel changes you would have liked, to better compete with the Chiefs. That's only one part of what makes teams great. And given the very unexpected weirdness of the past couple years and it's impact on the Cap, the didn't have a lot of wiggle room this year, to have continuity yet add major difference makers. 

And with that said, do we KNOW the Chiefs will be better this year? They signed some names on the OL, that's true. They have yet to play together, so we really have no idea.

With all that said, I don't think building a team to beat one specific team is typically a good idea. Maybe when the other team is dominant and in your division and you KNOW you will play them twice ever year, you might consider it. But what if the Chiefs don't make the playoffs and the Bills have to contend with a the Ravens or Titans in the playoffs. A team built specifically to "beat the Chiefs" may not be your best option. 

I'm not saying what they have done is enough. How the hell do we know? But I'm happy they didn't trash the current team to sign some big names, given their current position. B&B are playing the long, and short, game.

20 minutes ago, BLO_RIO said:

Thats a good plan, Waiver Priority seems to hurt us though

Indeed

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

As I said, on paper, the Bills did very little to close the gap. 

Every team dealt with the cap changes… and I’m not suggesting the Bills build a team just to beat the Chiefs, I was suggesting that they didn’t go out and pursue better, more impactful players to fix their weaknesses. Their plan was essentially status quo and hope players continue to develop within. 

But yes, ***** could change rapidly with one big injury to either team. 

Keep in mind, not every team was in the same position when Covid hit. It impacted some teams worse than others when it came to dealing with the unexpected cap hit.

Edited by The Dean

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I understand that but the Bills also delved out some bad contracts the year before that came back to hurt them(Addison, Butler, Norman to name a few) and they could(and actually did already)easily manipulate the cap to bring in a higher priced FA.... they seemed more concerned about retaining certain guys in the future then they do in the now..... as I said before, the only guy they should concern themselves with retaining in the near future is Allen, everyone else is expendable IMO. 

I agree Allen is the big contract that needs to get done. But not everyone else is expendable if you want to continue to be in the mix, year in and year out, IMO. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

All these problems goes away if the Bills can start hitting on their draft picks in. Oliver,  Epenesa,  Phillips, 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You prioritize Allen and the premier positions(DL, Tackle, CB, WR)…. Bills have mostly locked those guys up long term to this point….. Edmunds shouldn’t be prioritized at this point in his career. Maybe that changes this year, but he isn’t worth a big contract extension, IMO.

🤣🤣

Given what B&B have accomplished, I'll take their judgement over yours, or any poster, just about any day. The arrogance of some here just amazes me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The only plausible explanation is that they aren’t high on Nelson.  I have a lot of Steelers’ fans friends, and they think he is pretty meh. But I haven’t really looked hard at his play myself. 

You can be rest assured that most of the fan base only gives a cursory look at players that they want Beane to spend to money on, and then complain when he doesn’t sell the farm to sign them…,  it is entertaining though…,  passionate fan bases do this all the time. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve done a great job, but they’ve also made their fair share of mistakes…. And to this point Beanes drafts have been pretty meh outside of the HR in Josh Allen.

Wow! So they took a team that hadn't been to the playoffs (for how many years?) to the AFC Championship game in four years, but the only good move they made was QB. Right.  Again, where is your NFL resume?  I must have missed it.

BTW, EVERY Single GM makes their share of mistakes. 

BTW, EVERY Single GM makes their share of mistakes. 

Actually, let me clarify that.  IMO it isn't a mistake if you use the method that works for you, and it doesn't pan out. That's a "bad beat". It's only a "mistake" if the process wasn't sound.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

20 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The actual deal was only 1 yr 2.5 million 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/steven-nelson-16824/

not a lot considering the talent .. Bills must feel good with who they have

I watched our Steelers game Sunday. Nelson was consistently getting beaten by not just Diggs but all our receivers. I was on the sign Steven Nelson train for awhile. After seeing that game I’m Meh 😑. Let’s roll with Levi & Dane.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Well, you don’t have to worry about it because he signed with the Eagles for $4M.

Those saying he’s overrated were apparently right. End thread.

It was actually 1 yr 2.5 million per sport trac .. so not a lot of people pushing for his services it appears

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/steven-nelson-16824/

On 7/26/2021 at 9:21 AM, Eastport bills said:

Look at who Tampa surrounds Brady with. Great defense, top running attack and 3 great TEs along with 3 Pro bowl receivers. You want to put it all on Josh and the wideouts with Beasley alienating his teammates. I love your optimism.

Buffalo had a top 5 offense.  I expect the same or better.  With or without Beasley.  Tampa has vets, Buffalo has alot of younger guys who can still improve.  Tought cap year, bringing everyone back with Sanders is a good offseason.

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo had a top 5 offense.  I expect the same or better.  With or without Beasley.  Tampa has vets, Buffalo has alot of younger guys who can still improve.  Tought cap year, bringing everyone back with Sanders is a good offseason.

I think you should wait to see them on the field. I hope your right.