Bills interested in CB Steven Nelson

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

KC lost AFC Championship game in 2018. They did little the next off-season except sign Tyrann Matthieu. The Bills spent money to bring back their starting OLB and RT. I'm not Beane's biggest fan and criticize a number if his moves, but he got guys to rework their contracts and got younger with more bodies for the pass rush. The projected starting OL did not play a single snap together last year. Bills can be a better team with the moves Beane has made. It will require Edmunds and Knox to play much better, Milano to stay healthy, and find a little more balance in the offense.

I don't want to be the messenger of doom for a team with as much talent as the Bills. The only thing that troubles me is that they did not add the players in FA that will enable them to stop big athletic TEs and superior running attacks. They can't be expected to win shootouts with good teams all the time. Remember Josh was our big running threat in the playoffs. Knox was pedestrian and Diggs and Beasley had career years. I thought we'd address TE and RB in FA. Depth at Dtackle and DB wouldn't hurt. We lost to KC twice

and looked overmatched. We had to improve to expect better results. Fans will bristle at criticism of a team that was as good as the Bills were last season, but we have the capspace created by Beane's handiwork to make some key additions. Hopefully we add on.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Allen and Diggs didnt start humbing until the bye imo.  Give them an offseason with normal build to a season look out.  They should be the best Qb/Wr duo in the league.  As an offense they will go as Allen goes.  I think he will be elite.  

Good defensive coaches can neutralize a receiver if there aren't quality options.That's where TEs and RBs can help make offenses great. The Bills had Beasley and Davis play really well last year but if the backs and the TE position are below average again , Josh will have his hands full. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Iggles don't have the cap to sign him (and their 2nd round pick).  I wonder if there is a player they are willing to deal.

Anyone hear any rumors?

sorry.

They will have cap space once they trade or release Ertz to Buffalo. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

KC lost AFC Championship game in 2018. They did little the next off-season except sign Tyrann Matthieu. The Bills spent money to bring back their starting OLB and RT. I'm not Beane's biggest fan and criticize a number if his moves, but he got guys to rework their contracts and got younger with more bodies for the pass rush. The projected starting OL did not play a single snap together last year. Bills can be a better team with the moves Beane has made. It will require Edmunds and Knox to play much better, Milano to stay healthy, and find a little more balance in the offense.

No, the Chiefs did A LOT the offseason after they lost the 2018 AFCCG.

They literally fired their DC.........replaced him with a 2x SB winning DC in Spagnuolo........they traded the AFCCG goat Dee Ford and traded FOR star pass rusher Frank Clark..........and added the big name star/leader in Mathieu and also added Bashaud Breeland........both were huge additions for them in their SB winning season and both gave the Bills fits last season.    They didn't lose much.

The Chiefs were VERY aggressive under the circumstances.

And they could have easily chosen not to be aggressive..........they were clearly the best team in the AFC in 2018 and they were upset by the narrowest of margins.....in OT of the AFCCG.     That was a "1 play" game.

The Bills looked outclassed in their AFCCG against KC..............if one team looked like it needed to be more aggressive it was the Bills this past offseason.......not the post 2018 season Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Good defensive coaches can neutralize a receiver if there aren't quality options.That's where TEs and RBs can help make offenses great. The Bills had Beasley and Davis play really well last year but if the backs and the TE position are below average again , Josh will have his hands full. 

I think wr is deep enough they dont need a te to be featured.  Yes, it all falls on Allen.  I think hes a top 3 qb.  The parts are important but Allen is going to get the ball where it needs to and the guys catching will have big years beecause of it.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

weird that no one was willing to pony up bigger bucks for him. By comparison, the Bills signed Josh Norman for more last year.

They grossly overpaid for Norman.    He was coming off a very poor season and any chance he had of having a successful bounce back was limited to a few teams/schemes.    The roughly $3M-$4M OVER market that they paid Norman is an example of money that they then didn't have to spend on the roster this offseason.   All the deals count.   We have some folks on the board who like to say "it's not your money, why do you care" when there is an overpay.........obviously only a few people like maybe @zonabb (;))care about the actual $ the player is getting........cap space is why it matters when they over extend for what a player has to offer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It was a strange off-season strategy tbh…. They basically ignored their needs  in FA and focused on retention…. They addressed pass rush in the draft but they aren’t likely to reap immediate rewards.

IMO the Bills will need luck, the injury bug to hit key AFC opponents, and development(immediate development of a few guys, Rousseau and Basham) of some young players to get to and win a SB this year because they basically did nothing significant to address their immediate needs and the Chiefs are head and shoulders above them.

The Bills are essentially a year behind KC, with a lot of guys entering make or break years that the Bills FO seems to be betting on as makes. 

I would’ve rather they made a couple impact roster moves, but I can see why they believe Josh will continue to make jumps - with Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, Singletary/Moss, Knox and Davis really breaking out this season.  

That said, I’m still expecting a move and was surprised by their drafting strategy. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It was a strange off-season strategy tbh…. They basically ignored their needs  in FA and focused on retention…. They addressed pass rush in the draft but they aren’t likely to reap immediate rewards.

IMO the Bills will need luck, the injury bug to hit key AFC opponents, and development(immediate development of a few guys, Rousseau and Basham) of some young players to get to and win a SB this year because they basically did nothing significant to address their immediate needs and the Chiefs are head and shoulders above them.

I don't think there is actually an "All-In" sense of urgency this season.

I think they looked at the options and determined that they will "be better off in the long run" if they hung onto cap space and exercised their draft picks instead of trading them........and of course, "hopefully" win a SB that way.........sorta' like the Bucks just did winning an NBA title...........instead of spending future cap space and trading picks for immediate help NOW.

If it works..........that's great......it's the cake and eating it too.

But in my years of experience watching teams do this..........it can end up putting an immense amount of pressure on your team as the window before significant change comes.    The Chiefs are a tough obstacle........but the Bills have a good roster and continuity in the coaching staff.........there might not be a more ideal point.

I'm watching what happens when you defer your best shot until later right now with the New York Yankees...........the owner has been making half a billion in profits annually since his father died(except for covid 20').........literally dwarfing the earnings of most of the teams in MLB..........and he's been using a Ralph Wilson-like "cash to the luxury tax cap" model hoping that the team can win every single season and pick up a couple WS titles along the way with a payroll that's lower than it was in 2004.    All that has done is wratchet up the pressure on the organization as the window before a major re-organization is required gets smaller.    Diminishing returns follow.

Another example is Green Bay...........they have greatly wasted Aaron Rodgers career by half-stepping wrt the roster.     Rodgers has dragged them deep into the playoffs many times.......but for most of the McCarthy era in particular they really refused to go all-in to get him a title.     That is why he's so puckered about them drafting a replacement QB when they were on the precipice of another SB.    They only seem interested in staying in contention and hoping they get all the breaks and win ONE.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I think wr is deep enough they dont need a te to be featured.  Yes, it all falls on Allen.  I think hes a top 3 qb.  The parts are important but Allen is going to get the ball where it needs to and the guys catching will have big years beecause of it.

Look at who Tampa surrounds Brady with. Great defense, top running attack and 3 great TEs along with 3 Pro bowl receivers. You want to put it all on Josh and the wideouts with Beasley alienating his teammates. I love your optimism.

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

weird that no one was willing to pony up bigger bucks for him. By comparison, the Bills signed Josh Norman for more last year.

Look at when they were signed though, Nelson was after the free agent period ended and Norman was before it started. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The actual deal was only 1 yr 2.5 million 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/steven-nelson-16824/

not a lot considering the talent .. Bills must feel good with who they have

i haven’t studied Nelson, But historically, steeler CB’s have been very scheme limited. Their CB’s were really good at zone and mediocre to awful at man. That’s why Russ Cockrell was able to stick and play pretty well for them. Not sure if Nelson fits that mold or not. 

I'm not saying we missed out on Nelson, but at the same time I don't understand what this team's thought process is at DB especially if heaven forbid White were to get hurt for a significant stretch of time.

Yes there is some potential with guys like Dane Jackson, but a marginal undrafted player like Levi Wallace isn't magically going to get better at this stage of his career and he has proven to be a liability on the field over and over again when it matters and certainly not beating the Chiefs with him as a key piece of the secondary.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not saying we missed out on Nelson, but at the same time I don't understand what this team's thought process is at DB especially if heaven forbid White were to get hurt for a significant stretch of time.

Yes there is some potential with guys like Dane Jackson, but a marginal undrafted player like Levi Wallace isn't magically going to get better at this stage of his career and he has proven to be a liability on the field over and over again when it matters and certainly not beating the Chiefs with him as a key piece of the secondary.

Agreed.  McBeane preaches competitiveness and steel sharpens steel.  Looking at our CB room, our depth is nil. I’m baffled tbh.  I was (and am still) praying that we can add another CB that is more capable in man.