TBDAHOT discussion

SDS

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Augie, I don't have a spare this year, but two of our group always threaten to leave in the 1st quarter when we're not up 150 points because "we suck", so maybe I can sub you in. 🤣

I KNEW I should have bought more tickets that first day, just to QFLL...

Just pulled the trigger on four seats for the home opener. Considerably more than the seat I got from you, but if I sell a kidney we can make this work.  :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

Augie, I don't have a spare this year, but two of our group always threaten to leave in the 1st quarter when we're not up 150 points because "we suck", so maybe I can sub you in. 🤣

I KNEW I should have bought more tickets that first day, just to QFLL...

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Just pulled the trigger on four seats for the home opener. Considerably more than the seat I got from you, but if I sell a kidney we can make this work.  :)

Looking forward to meeting you two!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Looking forward to meeting you two!

You are there for the opener this year? I thought you were a second home game guy. Look forward to seeing you in person. I usually go alone, but I’ll be with my wife, son and his new wife. Please try to embarrass yourself. We aim to entertain!  :)

When I was first engaged we lived in Hilton Head. Nearby Savannah has a HUGE St Patricks Day weekend. HUGE! Including a rugby tournament with teams from about 40 states. The Old Boys from my school where I played were attending, so I told my bride we should go. IF, after meeting them, she wanted to back out of the engagement I would understand. Rugby is a culture. You may or may not like it.  This was a test. 

My Old Boys actually won that tournament, and we still got married! 

The next test is will we be divorced after a Bills home opener? After 36 years she has shown she can roll with it! 

Look forward to meeting you in person. 

7 hours ago, Augie said:

You are there for the opener this year? I thought you were a second home game guy. Look forward to seeing you in person. I usually go alone, but I’ll be with my wife, son and his new wife. Please try to embarrass yourself. We aim to entertain!  :)

A lot went into my decision to do the opener this year vs. the SHOOTY.  Been a long time and I'm looking forward to seeing some new and old faces.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A lot went into my decision to do the opener this year vs. the SHOOTY.  Been a long time and I'm looking forward to seeing some new and old faces.

Trust me, you will regret saying you want to meet both @Heitz and @Augie, I am the rose between two thorns with those two present.

I cant wait to see @Augie's wife face when he tells her she needs to be up at 5 AM to get to lot by 6am...and yes BTW dear, with traffic we would never attempt to leave that lot before 6PM..so get ready for a full day!!!!!!!...

Damn, to be a fly on the wall when that info drops!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Trust me, you will regret saying you want to meet both @Heitz and @Augie, I am the rose between two thorns with those two present.

I cant wait to see @Augie's wife face when he tells her she needs to be up at 5 AM to get to lot by 6am...and yes BTW dear, with traffic we would never attempt to leave that lot before 6PM..so get ready for a full day!!!!!!!...

So true 🤣 :beer:

A few years back I went to the LA Chargers game in Carson, CA and insisted to my girl that we get there at like 8am.  As we rolled up to the stadium we were the like the ONLY car driving in and she's like "You Bills fans...".  Of course, I knew I had done the right thing when I pulled up, parked, looked to my right and saw Captain Buffalo parking.

Lesson:  it's never too early for a Bills tailgate!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’d like to clarify a couple of points:

First, @Gugny won’t regret saying he wants to meet me as much as he will regret actually meeting me. And you are far too hard on @Heitz, my friend. He is a fine gentleman who provides paper tickets! That is an indication of class!

Secondly, by 5 AM my wife will have been up for an hour already and be happy to have something to do. She loves young adults, and will be fascinated as long as she has your merry little band of chuckleheads to observe. If you take your shirt off however, then I can make no promises. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’d like to clarify a couple of points:

First, @Gugny won’t regret saying he wants to meet me as much as he will regret actually meeting me. And you are far too hard on @Heitz, my friend. He is a fine gentleman who provides paper tickets! That is an indication of class!

Secondly, by 5 AM my wife will have been up for an hour already and be happy to have something to do. She loves young adults, and will be fascinated as long as she has your merry little band of chuckleheads to observe. If you take your shirt off however, then I can make no promises. 

who said anything about adults being present? 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

who said anything about adults being present? 

If there are going to be adults present, I'm not going.  Hammer is as close to that as we need... :beer:

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Anyone have a moment to clue me in on exactly what this tradition is/was? I've got seasons for the first time (always made it to a few each games each year since I got back in town in 2012). 

I like to boo-gie.

we drink a lot but not quite to the point of blacking out.

I believe the first TBDAHOT was in… 2000?

30 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Anyone have a moment to clue me in on exactly what this tradition is/was? I've got seasons for the first time (always made it to a few each games each year since I got back in town in 2012). 

I like to boo-gie.

it has really morphed over the decades, but we park along Abbott Road in Hammer‘s lot right in the front left corner. We sort of park in a circular style that gives us access to the empty space in the middle and a lot of great people bring a lot of great food.

Depending on the weather, we have a tent and tables for shared items. In the past they have rented a large community grill for people to use and we generally bring nonalcoholic drinks for people to have. 

Probably the longest standing tradition is meade making Stromboli in the morning. If you’re not in the lot by 9 AM you’re not getting in. Typically those who park in the tailgate area are probably there by 7:30am I think. Those spots are usually reserved.

After that, we’ve just had a laundry list of great food items that people bring and share. 

In the past, we raffled off Bills items and had fundraisers. One year we had a band. It’s probably lower key nowadays.

We don’t have any crazy traditions like being soaked in condiments or any of the other more extreme tailgating things you may hear. It’s really just people getting together and talking/eating before and after the game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/25/2021 at 2:58 PM, plenzmd1 said:

man,you best be knocking off those daily lunches out and revert to homemade tuna on white...tickets gunna be expensive. Lowest price in 135, where i sit, is 505 + fees right now!!!!

Holy smolly, for a Bills home game that has to be a record

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Holy smolly, for a Bills home game that has to be a record

Plus fees really hurts! We got four seats in 137, two sections closer to the end zone (worse). Middle of the row, which really sucks for this aisle loving guy.  We are 20 rows up, so not TOO low. Total with fees was over $2,600, but the wife had already told our son and DIL we were doing it, so money be damned! 

They were asking for $400+ for some upper bowl seats! (PLUS fees.) I know I could get them cheaper if played well, but by the time we buy plane tickets, rent hotel rooms and a car, I want to KNOW we have good seats at the game. 

Hard to believe we would ever pay that for a Bills regular season game, but the excitement level is HIGH. Maybe too high, but I will remain ever-hopeful!  

The Bills are good and a very fun team to watch, so they will have many national games on TV. I will need my DTV less than ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 5/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, RiotAct said:

we drink a lot but not quite to the point of blacking out.

I believe the first TBDAHOT was in… 2000?

I love that this is the first reply to my query. Your characterization probably describes my ideal tailgate approach to drinking: get really shmammied but don't go to the dark place. Translation: have a ton of fun you can remember. Oh, and audibly help the team.

I effing love Bills tailgates, increasingly now that I'm less spectacle and more spectator (never been belligerent; just boisterous).  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, SDS said:

it has really morphed over the decades, but we park along Abbott Road in Hammer‘s lot right in the front left corner. We sort of park in a circular style that gives us access to the empty space in the middle and a lot of great people bring a lot of great food.

Depending on the weather, we have a tent and tables for shared items. In the past they have rented a large community grill for people to use and we generally bring nonalcoholic drinks for people to have. 

Probably the longest standing tradition is meade making Stromboli in the morning. If you’re not in the lot by 9 AM you’re not getting in. Typically those who park in the tailgate area are probably there by 7:30am I think. Those spots are usually reserved.

After that, we’ve just had a laundry list of great food items that people bring and share. 

In the past, we raffled off Bills items and had fundraisers. One year we had a band. It’s probably lower key nowadays.

We don’t have any crazy traditions like being soaked in condiments or any of the other more extreme tailgating things you may hear. It’s really just people getting together and talking/eating before and after the game.

Thanks. I parked in roughly this location (front left) for the last Patriots MNF game, which was my first and only time using Hammer's lot. I've consistently used the ECC lots otherwise (those lots, and the Twin Oaks lot, are fairly young and rambunctious as you may well know). Hammer's lot was cool. Lots of enviable tailgate tents and well-established alcoves. (That was a frustrating night of football in the end.) 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, mead107 said:

The tailgate opener is always great to meet up with fellow TBD members.  
lot of great friendships have been made over the years with people from all over the world. 
A lot of thanks to Scott for starting this place. 

Huh. Sounds fun.  I may look into this.  Do I need an invitation or do I just show up?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.