Highest inflation since...

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

😂

Out-of-touch Joe Biden brings the ice cream meme to life

Biden’s ice cream antics today reminded Twitter users of this particular version of the meme,

which has been around for at least 6 months.

It is not possible to be more out of touch

Who wrote that? lmao 

lolz

Biden Warns That If Republicans Are Elected, 'Prices Are Going to Go Up'

by Rick Moran

Politics is fun, isn’t it? You can play with the truth all you want, and, as long as you’re a member of the right party, you can throw all the crap you want against a wall just to see what sticks. And no one of any significance will say a word.

Of course, that’s only true if you’re a Democrat. That’s why when Joe Biden deadpanned that prices would rise if Republicans were elected, no one laughed — out loud, at least. 

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2022/10/15/biden-warns-that-if-republicans-are-elected-prices-are-going-to-go-up-n1637366

NPR: You can run, but you can’t hide: Inflation is busting budgets, and killing joy too.

What was striking about the data was that a lot of the worst inflation is hitting us at home: rent was up 7.2%, electricity prices are up 15.5%, groceries are up 13%.

Seeing as how it’s spooky season, and the economy seems to be full of monsters, I thought it appropriate to invoke the classic horror film When a Stranger Calls (1979) –a terrifying tale of a woman babysitting a couple of kids, who keeps getting calls from a creepy stranger. She finally has the call traced (this was waaaay back in the days of landlines) and the operator calls back with the terrifying news: The calls are coming from inside the house!

Inflation, too, is coming from inside the house: lurking inside a carton of eggs (30.5% more expensive than last year), crouching in your closet (prices for women’s suits are up 10%, men’s suits are up 9.5%), or even hiding inside the walls (utility gas up 33.1%).

But unlike the killer in When a Stranger Calls, inflation doesn’t tend to get us with one deadly strike. Instead, it’s been hanging around for months, destroying our peace of mind and stealing some joy out of life. Because there’s no avoiding paying for shelter, food and health insurance (up 28.2%,the biggest jump on record) consumers have to find other places to cut back: everything from vacations to eating out to even giving up favorite activities or foods.

Did I mention this story was published by NPR? There’s zero traction for the Democrats trying to change the “national conversation” back to abortion, but Biden tried again on Tuesday, anyway, in a very weird speech.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/18/1129431951/inflation-you-can-run-but-you-cant-hide

https://notthebee.com/article/biden-had-so-many-weird-moments-in-a-speech-today-that-i-had-to-create-this-breakdown-for-yall-to-wrap-your-heads-around-it

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Because there’s no avoiding paying for shelter, food and health insurance (up 28.2%,the biggest jump on record) consumers have to find other places to cut back: everything from vacations to eating out to even giving up favorite activities or foods.

Im not seeing the austerity thing (yet). Instead, it seems to me that discretionary spending is still pretty ridiculous as people continue to emerge from the COVID lull and spend those inflated stock market gains. Example:

for years we had taken a quick January break to one of the great resort hotels in Arizona. Pre-COVID prices: maybe $500/night. Now? $900/night. I draw the line somewhere closer to the first price. Yes, inflation, but let’s not go all Yogi here and say “nobody goes there anymore; it’s too expensive.” It is expensive because demand is still ridiculously high with most weekends sold out or almost sold out. They charge $900 a night because they can afford to without leaving rooms empty. Same thing with flights. Someone here commented that his grocery bill hit 500 bucks because nice steak is now 20 bucks a pound and fish is 15. Take a step back to get perspective: if people are really feeling the hurt, wouldn’t they scale back to, oh, I don’t know, ground beef at 6 bucks a pound? 
These are the spending patterns that Jerome Powell is looking at, and the Fed is committed to rising rates until aggregate demand softens. 

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Im not seeing the austerity thing (yet). Instead, it seems to me that discretionary spending is still pretty ridiculous as people continue to emerge from the COVID lull and spend those inflated stock market gains. Example:

for years we had taken a quick January break to one of the great resort hotels in Arizona. Pre-COVID prices: maybe $500/night. Now? $900/night. I draw the line somewhere closer to the first price. Yes, inflation, but let’s not go all Yogi here and say “nobody goes there anymore; it’s too expensive.” It is expensive because demand is still ridiculously high with most weekends sold out or almost sold out. They charge $900 a night because they can afford to without leaving rooms empty. Same thing with flights. Someone here commented that his grocery bill hit 500 bucks because nice steak is now 20 bucks a pound and fish is 15. Take a step back to get perspective: if people are really feeling the hurt, wouldn’t they scale back to, oh, I don’t know, ground beef at 6 bucks a pound? 
These are the spending patterns that Jerome Powell is looking at, and the Fed is committed to rising rates until aggregate demand softens. 

If I understand you correctly Frank, you’re basing your opinion on whether Americans are hurting on your observations at a $900 per night hotel and those buying steak at the grocery store? Sure! Them’s the people that are hurting. Marie Antoinette says hi! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If I understand you correctly Frank, you’re basing your opinion on whether Americans are hurting on your observations at a $900 per night hotel and those buying steak at the grocery store? Sure! Them’s the people that are hurting. Marie Antoinette says hi! 

What I’m saying is this: aggregate demand is now driving inflation rather than a supply shock. Hey, I’m not the guy whining here about good cuts of steak and line-caught fish driving my grocery bills over $500!

So to stay in character (and echoing another commenter here): Yes, let them eat Hamburger Helper. 

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What I’m saying is this: aggregate demand is now driving inflation rather than a supply shock. Hey, I’m not the guy whining here about good cuts of steak and line-caught fish driving my grocery bills over $500!

So to stay in character (and echoing another commenter here): Yes, let them eat Hamburger Helper. 

As I’m sure you’ll agree, inflation is a complex issue, generally created by multiple factors. Everyone can opine on any number of them. What I have a problem with is those who seem intent on either denying it altogether, or blowing it off as no big deal. It’s a huge deal for the vast majority of the population who cannot increase their income at anywhere near the rate of their rising daily costs. This is yet another economic gut punch to people who just barely made it to the other side of the great COVID desert. 

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

Did I mention this story was published by NPR? There’s zero traction for the Democrats trying to change the “national conversation” back to abortion, but Biden tried again on Tuesday, anyway, in a very weird speech.

President Biden kills me with all his abortion talk.  He is a practicing Roman Catholic.  Goes to church on Sunday.  It is no secret what the Roman Catholic church preaches on abortion.  He says he doesn't want his religious belief to interfere with his decision making as president.  I can support that.

I would think a politician who is a Roman Catholic and wants to do this would try to stay away from the topic.  He would sort of recuse himself.   But no, he is huge proponent/cheerleader for the cause

He goes to church on Sunday in a denomination that's one of the the biggest proponents against and on Monday goes back to work as a huge proponent for.  Something doesn't add up here.

The other odd thing about the speech was he said if Democrats win Congress, the first bill he would send to Congress would be about abortion.  Perhaps I was asleep in Civics class, but usually Congress sends bills to the President to sign or not.  Not the other way around.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Biden is 99% politician and 1% affiliated with a religion.

It is simply impossible to claim to be Roman Catholic and support abortion, unless you are doing it for political advantage.

He uses his Catholic claim as yet another political chip.

A true phony.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

It is simply impossible to claim to be Roman Catholic and support abortion

Then it would also be "impossible" to be a Roman Catholic and to:

- support the death penalty

- support the use of contraceptives

- support same sex marriage

- support in vitro fertilization, since that necessarily results in the elimination of excess embryos

- support strict limits on immigration

Etc, etc. The reality is that the Catholic Church takes many positions on issues of morality and public policy, and it's the classic big tent - I'd say the vast majority of Catholics respect Church leadership's voice on issues of morality, but do not accept each and every specific position of the Church.

Donald J. Trump is such a Christian that he saw fit to pose with "a Bible" (Q. Is that your Bible? A. It's a Bible) in front of a church, but he still bangs hookers whenever he can and grabs women by their nether regions ... I don't think the Bible was too keen on those things either.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

President Biden kills me with all his abortion talk.  He is a practicing Roman Catholic.  Goes to church on Sunday.  It is no secret what the Roman Catholic church preaches on abortion.  He says he doesn't want his religious belief to interfere with his decision making as president.  I can support that.

I would think a politician who is a Roman Catholic and wants to do this would try to stay away from the topic.  He would sort of recuse himself.   But no, he is huge proponent/cheerleader for the cause

He goes to church on Sunday in a denomination that's one of the the biggest proponents against and on Monday goes back to work as a huge proponent for.  Something doesn't add up here.

The other odd thing about the speech was he said if Democrats win Congress, the first bill he would send to Congress would be about abortion.  Perhaps I was asleep in Civics class, but usually Congress sends bills to the President to sign or not.  Not the other way around.

You just contradicted yourself.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Then it would also be "impossible" to be a Roman Catholic and to:

- support the death penalty

- support the use of contraceptives

- support same sex marriage

- support in vitro fertilization, since that necessarily results in the elimination of excess embryos

- support strict limits on immigration

Etc, etc. The reality is that the Catholic Church takes many positions on issues of morality and public policy, and it's the classic big tent - I'd say the vast majority of Catholics respect Church leadership's voice on issues of morality, but do not accept each and every specific position of the Church.

Donald J. Trump is such a Christian that he saw fit to pose with "a Bible" (Q. Is that your Bible? A. It's a Bible) in front of a church, but he still bangs hookers whenever he can and grabs women by their nether regions ... I don't think the Bible was too keen on those things either.

Frank, you’re correct here. Politicians are not clergy. They are not supposed to represent their own views but rather the will and view of the people they serve. Thus the term “representative”. 

At the same time, if a political figure does claim to be a member of particular religious group then it’d be a good idea to clarify their personal vs their representative role view from time to time to avoid this needless confusion.

Finally, with regard to Trump holding up a Bible in front of a church, I’ve never understood the outrage. What did you want him to hold up? A copy of Sports Illustrated? It’s a symbol of what a Church building stands for, much like a cross. Get over it.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Finally, with regard to Trump holding up a Bible in front of a church, I’ve never understood the outrage. What did you want him to hold up? A copy of Sports Illustrated? It’s a symbol of what a Church building stands for, much like a cross. Get over it.

Q. Which Party expressly associated itself with upholding “Judeo-Christian values?” Which 2020 Presidential candidate did?

A. The Republicans. And Donald Trump. (Not Joe Biden and the Democrats.) Oh, and Vladimir Putin too. It’s an elite group of godly men and a few special women. 
When Republican candidates and various dictators who wantonly bomb civilians stop holding themselves out as defenders of the Christian tradition, I will gladly stop referring to a certain candidate holding an upside down Bible in one hand while the other hand is free to grab em by the you know what.