Highest inflation since...

Check what's to blame for the soaring prices here:

Food prices are still soaring - here's what's getting more expensive

Food costs spiked 11.4% over the past year, the largest annual increase since May 1979, according to data released Tuesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Americans browsing the supermarket aisle will notice most food items are far more expensive than they were a year ago. Egg prices soared 39.8%, while flour got 23.3% more expensive. Milk rose 17% and the price of bread jumped 16.2%.

Meat and poultry also grew costlier.

Chicken prices jumped 16.6%, while meats

rose 6.7% and pork increased 6.8%. Fruits and vegetables together are up 9.4%.

Overall, grocery prices jumped 13.5% and restaurant menu prices increased 8%.

Why there's no relief at the grocery store:

That's because food prices are affected by global events, such as the war in Ukraine, which affects the costs of wheat and other commodities. Prices also reflect the impact of natural disasters like crop-killing droughts and diseases such as avian flu, which has constrained the supply of eggs and turkeys.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/grocery-prices-august/index.html

But all that matters is you are able to get an abortion at 36 weeks - I bet you're still wearing a mask in that office 

How tone deaf to stand up there and “celebrate” the IRA bill while inflation came in at 8.1% and the equities markets are down 4-5%?   Didn’t anyone think “ya know…maybe we should hold off on the celebratory speech until we get today’s numbers.”?   It just boggles the mind. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How tone deaf to stand up there and “celebrate” the IRA bill while inflation came in at 8.1% and the equities markets are down 4-5%?   Didn’t anyone think “ya know…maybe we should hold off on the celebratory speech until we get today’s numbers.”?   It just boggles the mind. 

Probably less than 10% of the voting population pays attention to equities or CPI.

The ones that do won’t be voting based on Biden speeches.

The informed and aware aren’t the marks. 

But you know that

Happy Days are here again for fixed income investors! I just laddered a bunch of Treasuries in one of my retirement accounts. The Fed is hellbent on crushing inflation. Yeah, there will be a little (or lot of) recession to get the job done, so watch out, markets. But the Fed sees inflation now at about 3.5 percent ongoing (not the backward looking year over year), and they say they’re committed to bringing it down to their 2 percent target. With 2 year Treasuries now over 4 percent, there’s real money to be made in super safe income investments. 
Depends on where you are in your life, but for me, the return of a normal interest rate environment is a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Happy Days are here again for fixed income investors! I just laddered a bunch of Treasuries in one of my retirement accounts. The Fed is hellbent on crushing inflation.

Yeah, there will be a little (or lot of) recession to get the job done, so watch out, markets.

Depends on where you are in your life, but for me, the return of a normal interest rate environment is a good thing. 

Some posts just don't need extra comment.

Meanwhile.

Interest rates are going up as the Fed battles stubborn inflation

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/21/1124101447/another-big-interest-rate-hike-is-coming-as-the-fed-battles-stubborn-inflation

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

......that your Covid lockdown caused.  

Hey, ever heard that there’s no such thing as a free lunch? 
EDIT: hey, I see from that same Zero Hedge story you pasted here that none other than ELIZABETH WARREN agrees with you. You may want to contemplate what that says about your monetary policy. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Happy Days are here again for fixed income investors! I just laddered a bunch of Treasuries in one of my retirement accounts. The Fed is hellbent on crushing inflation. Yeah, there will be a little (or lot of) recession to get the job done, so watch out, markets. But the Fed sees inflation now at about 3.5 percent ongoing (not the backward looking year over year), and they say they’re committed to bringing it down to their 2 percent target. With 2 year Treasuries now over 4 percent, there’s real money to be made in super safe income investments. 

Hey Frank.....I literally just did the same thing.  So with that done, what are you doing about the Colts poor quarterback play?

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Frank.....I literally just did the same thing.  So with that done, what are you doing about the Colts poor quarterback play?

Haha. Smart move, Deek. 
Can the Broncos and Colts work out a Frank Reich for Nathaniel Hackett trade? That’s my outside the box proposal. I work with a lot of Broncos fans and I warned them about whiz kid Hackett… Broncs need a grown up in the room. Reich needs a semi washed up QB instead of a fully washed up one

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 1

On 9/21/2022 at 1:05 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Lots of missing information here but on the face not sure why you would do this.  How old are you and are you retired?  Are you using them for income or are you expecting that rates will drop in the next 24 months and you can sell them for a premium?  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Lots of missing information here but on the face not sure why you would do this.  How old are you and are you retired?  Are you using them for income or are you expecting that rates will drop in the next 24 months and you can sell them for a premium?  

Good questions. 
This is for good old fashioned income. I’m laddering T bills with no expectation of selling them until maturity. Not all of my retirement account (retirement is coming), but a part of it. I’m pretty risk averse at this stage of my life, so I’m glad to see safe, steady returns make a comeback. 

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Good questions. 
This is for good old fashioned income. I’m laddering T bills with no expectation of selling them until maturity. Not all of my retirement account (retirement is coming), but a part of it. I’m pretty risk averse at this stage of my life, so I’m glad to see safe, steady returns make a comeback. 

Ok.  So when you say layering I assume you bought them on the open market with different maturities?  

When you say retirement is coming how many years are we looking at here?

Edited by Chef Jim

18 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok.  So when you say layering I assume you bought them on the open market with different maturities?  

When you say retirement is coming how many years are we looking at here?

Correct. Laddered for different maturities over the next 3 years. Mostly in a taxable account so for high tax states like NY or CA (I’m in CO) you get the extra kick of no state income tax. My plan in to wait out the Fed there. Historical data show that markets typically don’t start turning bullish until the Fed is done with interest rate increases. When they signal that they’re at that point (it won’t be till 2023 at the earliest, probably 2nd quarter) I will start moving the matured T bills back into equities, but of course that also depends on what bonds are paying at that point. 

On 9/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, B-Man said:

Some posts just don't need extra comment.

Meanwhile.

Interest rates are going up as the Fed battles stubborn inflation

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/21/1124101447/another-big-interest-rate-hike-is-coming-as-the-fed-battles-stubborn-inflation

And in the meantime the Dow is looking close to going under 29. Thanks for nothing joey.