Highest inflation since...

Food prices push UK inflation to 40-year high of 9.1 percent
The Bank of England says worse is yet to come as the UK records the highest inflation rate out of the G7 countries.

German inflation hit another all-time high in May

Consumer prices in the continent’s biggest economy jumped 8.7 percent from a year ago in May.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/22/food-prices-push-uk-inflation-to-40-year-high-of-9-1-percent

Edited by ALF

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, Chef Jim said:

You might want to rethink the highlighted.  LOL

But seriously.  I quit drinking a few years ago.  Yes I do partake occasionally so I'm not 100% teetotaling but the money I've saved by sticking with water has got to be astounding.  LOL 

My wife fully retired 1/1/22 and I semi-retired so I've started looking at prices more closely.  Never did that before.  I'd just throw ***** in the shopping cart.  Not anymore.   

What’s the magic of the Saturday only plan?  

Good recap of the past week with an eye on what’s to come next?  

I’m not judging, just wondering.  I keep thinking I’ll get a subscription and never get around to it.  

On 6/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, ALF said:

Inflation rocks businesses as owners warn Americans are cutting home improvements, service expenses
Businesses say customers putting off roof replacements, house cleanings and AC repairs due to rising costs

https://www.foxnews.com/media/inflation-rocks-businesses-owners-warn-americans-cutting-home-improvements-service-expenses

After 43 years cancelled Buffalo News home delivery , 3 months ago stopped buying beer. I lived thru inflation early 80's maybe I was too young to care , well being retired does have limitations.

Lived through 20% mortgage rates in 80s. Retired now, and I get why $700 per yr is way too much for BN. 

We are all having to reconsider beer, wine for sure. Dinner out is done with thought, purchases now trimmed. What most people do not understand that for most inflation is temporary, maybe 1 or 2 years, then wages catch up and move on. Retirement brings perspective that these massive increases are for ever and your income does not keep up.

But you need to still enjoy life. Rather than beer, wine, try cocktail hour, different one each time. Nice to plan, cheaper. There are hundreds of cheap cocktails made with bourbon. Lots of fun. 

8 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Why can't people be concerned about both?  

People can indeed be concerned about both and so should Congress. With that said, can you tell me what channel the nationally televised hearings are on the border? Crime? Inflation? I was flipping through channels last night and couldn’t find them. I may have to upgrade my DIRECTV package…again. (They call me all the time. 😉)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

People can indeed be concerned about both and so should Congress. With that said, can you tell me what channel the nationally televised hearings are on the border? Crime? Inflation? I was flipping through channels last night and couldn’t find them. I may have to upgrade my DIRECTV package…again. (They call me all the time. 😉)

Well, seeing as how the Jan 6th hearing is a first time thing, obviously it is going to get more attention.  Do you not see the news?  There is talk of all the things you mentioned.  Twitter?  It's all over the place.  There are hundreds of forms of media at this point, even message boards.  Those things are all discussed at length.  The Jan 6th hearing is the "prime time" event right now because it is something new, and it is occurring right now.  Crime, inflation, the borders, etc are all ongoing things no matter who is in office.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Well, seeing as how the Jan 6th hearing is a first time thing, obviously it is going to get more attention.  Do you not see the news?  There is talk of all the things you mentioned.  Twitter?  It's all over the place.  There are hundreds of forms of media at this point, even message boards.  Those things are all discussed at length.  The Jan 6th hearing is the "prime time" event right now because it is something new, and it is occurring right now.  Crime, inflation, the borders, etc are all ongoing things no matter who is in office.

I see. So Twitter gossip is the new substitute for the work of the US Congress? I’m going to have to look that up in the constitution. 😉

• Agree 2

Back to the thread...........

Up across the board

Energy prices surged 7.5% on the month and were up 41.6% on a 12-month basis.

The food index increased 1%, while shelter costs, which make up about one-third of the CPI rose 0.6% for the month and were up 5.6% annually. This was the sixth straight month that food at home rose at least 1%.

Rental costs rose 0.8% in June, the largest monthly increase since April 1986, according to the BLS.

Stock market futures slumped following the data while government bond yields surged.

Much of inflation rise came from gasoline prices, which increased 11.2% on the month and just shy of 60% for the 12-month period. Electricity costs rose 1.7% and 13.7%, respectively. New and used vehicle prices posted respective gains of 0.7% and 1.6%.

Medical-care costs climbed 0.7% on the month, propelled by a 1.9% increase in dental services, the largest monthly change ever recorded for that sector in data that goes back to 1995.

Airline fares were one of the few areas seeing a decline, falling 1.8% in June though still up 34.1% from a year ago. The meat, poultry, fish and eggs category also dropped 0.4% for the month but is up 11.7% on an annual basis.

The increases marked another tough month for consumers, who have been suffering through soaring prices for everything from airline tickets to used cars to bacon and eggs.

Real incomes fall further

For workers, the numbers meant another hit to the wallet, as inflation-adjusted incomes, based on average hourly earnings, fell 1% for the month and were down 3.6% from a year ago, according to a separate BLS release.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/inflation-rose-9point1percent-in-june-even-more-than-expected-as-price-pressures-intensify.html

19 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Why can't people be concerned about both?  

No one gives a ***t its a communist circle jerk for NYC-DC media trash.  No one that's sane.     

Have we got him yet?  I'm sure we will someday!

Dupes.  

The moron tool I mean host of the CBS Sunday State Run talk show literally asked Governor Youngkin if he'd let his PAC Support an "election denier" like some candidate in Pennsylvania.  An "election denier."

These people are North Korea gone. 

Still trying to portray all Trump voters as "insurrectionists!"  OH my goodness some people think the election was a sham.  In the middle of a sham pandemic.  The insanity!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I see. So Twitter gossip is the new substitute for the work of the US Congress? I’m going to have to look that up in the constitution. 😉

No, you know as well as I do that Congress can't address every single issue all day every day.  It just can't.  And a lot of it isn't the job of Congress anyway.  

Biden signed a deal with Mexico to have them help address the border just yesterday.  Will it help?  Hard to say.  But it is something.  People want to address crime, and yet will do absolutely nothing to actually address crime.  Republican states have higher murder rates typically than Democratic ones, yet it's always "the Dems" fault.  Republican states as a whole receive more government aid than Democratic ones.  Yet we always hear of Democratic handouts.  Hell, one poster attributed the entire stimulus package deal to Democrats, when Trump and Republican Congress approved $3.1 T and Biden approved $1.9.

I don't like the state of either party right now.  Both as basically different sides of the same coin, with tiny, obscure differences.  Our country has turned into 2 groups pointing fingers and then turning around and doing the same things they always do.

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No one gives a ***t its a communist circle jerk for NYC-DC media trash.  No one that's sane.     

Have we got him yet?  I'm sure we will someday!

Dupes.  

The moron tool I mean host of the CBS Sunday State Run talk show literally asked Governor Youngkin if he'd let his PAC Support an "election denier" like some candidate in Pennsylvania.  An "election denier."

These people are North Korea gone. 

Still trying to portray all Trump voters as "insurrectionists!"  OH my goodness some people think the election was a sham.  In the middle of a sham pandemic.  The insanity!

A sham pandemic that killed 6.3 million people worldwide in 2 years, including both my parents.  But yeah, it's everyone else who is insane.

Also, people are watching and following the Jan 6th hearing, so it means something to a lot of people.

Edited by cle23
  • Dislike 1