The Buffalo A's?

Draconator

15 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

There are few billionaires or large metropolitan areas willing to take on a major sports team with need of a large capacity new or modern updated stadium in these times.

I could see them moving to Las Vegas like the Raiders just did. 

Just now, DCOrange said:

Yeah, Vegas is the obvious move if Oakland doesn't publicly fund the new stadium. Buffalo is certainly not near the top of the list. Vegas, Portland, or San Jose would be the safe bets IMO.

The only reason I can't see Vegas is the whole gambling thing and then it reopen the case for Pete Rose in the HOF and not sure MLB wants to go through that again. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, Vegas is the obvious move if Oakland doesn't publicly fund the new stadium. Buffalo is certainly not near the top of the list. Vegas, Portland, or San Jose would be the safe bets IMO.

They tried to move to San Jose about a decade ago (maybe more). The Giants squashed that, claiming it was their territory...even though they gave it up when they built their ballpark in SF. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I think when they make an overt 'threat' like this, coordinated with MLB, there isnt a ton to worry about.  Its when things are more quiet and focused that fans should worry about relocation.

Exactly. When this is public, there is no need to worry. This is just Fisher & MLB putting pressure (publicly) on the Oakland city managers. 

19 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

They tried to move to San Jose about a decade ago (maybe more). The Giants squashed that, claiming it was their territory...even though they gave it up when they built their ballpark in SF. 

Exactly. When this is public, there is no need to worry. This is just Fisher & MLB putting pressure (publicly) on the Oakland city managers. 

Yeah I know. I think at this point MLB would force them to give that up if Oakland really has to move though. They want a conclusion to this so they can start talking about expansion.

2 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

A's brass is touring LV for potential sites for a new ballpark. Someone better clue them in about Buffalo before it's too late 😆 --- This sucks.

They can get the 'pageantry lady' from the NHL finals a few years ago to be the public address announcer!  Make way for a six hour game when the Las Vegas A's host a game. 😁

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Let's start with this. You'd be building a new ballpark, not enlarging the current one.  No MLB team is going to permanently relocate into a 33 year old stadium.

Yeah, it'd be the 7th oldest park in MLB

Fenway - 1912

Wrigley - 1914

Dodger Stadium - 1962

Angel Stadium - 1966

Oakland Coli - 1966

Kauffman - 1973

--Sahlen - 1988

On 5/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

I don't think they own the territory (Jays and Yanks) but putting that second deck on the stadium as it was built to be is going to cost money. Also not sure WNY coild support a 2nd major franchise (Sabres are bush league).

The Sabres are currently a mess, no doubt.  But, win or lose, it still costs the same to go to a Sabres game as it does in most other similar NHL markets.  Attendance may be down after a decade of futility...but make no mistake, Buffalo loves hockey.  Start winning again, and that arena will be close to capacity most nights.  I also think it would support an MLB or NBA team. 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, That's No Moon said:

Let's start with this. You'd be building a new ballpark, not enlarging the current one.  No MLB team is going to permanently relocate into a 33 year old stadium.

With all the dollars that MLBB and the Blue Jays are pouring into Sahlen Park to bring it up to "major league status" - that may not be true. All they need is the second deck - that was designed as an add on when Pilot Field was first built.  Not enough luxury boxes though. There is a lot of Canadian demand for those priced out of Toronto (like the Maple Loafs)

11 minutes ago, Bob Lamb said:

With all the dollars that MLBB and the Blue Jays are pouring into Sahlen Park to bring it up to "major league status" - that may not be true. All they need is the second deck - that was designed as an add on when Pilot Field was first built.  Not enough luxury boxes though. There is a lot of Canadian demand for those priced out of Toronto (like the Maple Loafs)

The money they are spending is on ballplayer stuff. Not on revenue generating items. The stadium USED to be the model of AAA baseball, it's not even close to that anymore and it's not even close to any of the newer MLB parks

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

It's time tear it down and build a football/baseball field with a dome in downtown Buffalo then.  :D

Those combo stadiums never work and they have basically all been replaced at this point. The dimensions of baseball and football don't work well together to build a good stadium for both. You end up with a bad stadium for two sports. The stadium is usually round which is terrible for everything,  for baseball you end up with massive amounts of foul territory with seats miles from the field. For football the seats closest to the field end up being the endzones and your prime seats are the furthest away.

I hope you were kidding but anyone who ever went to the Vet or Three Rivers or Riverfront or Busch Stadium or Fulton County Stadium or the Astrodome or the Metrodome or Candlestick Park or RFK Stadium or the Kingdome, or old Anaheim Stadium, or Alameda County Stadium, or Shea Stadium know I'm right. All of those places were terrible to watch a game in. 

Pilot Field is run down, and is now the oldest ballpark in the International League, I believe.  There are really shiny/better/nice ones elsewhere.   It did not age particularly well TBH.  

If Buffalo had one or two fortune 500s headquartered downtown and there was a real appetite for the city/county/state to help fund a plush new baseball park....  I would be F5-ing any news on this.  The problem is, we are not in that dimension.  

As eloquently stated above, multi purpose is not a realistic option.

58 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Those combo stadiums never work and they have basically all been replaced at this point. The dimensions of baseball and football don't work well together to build a good stadium for both. You end up with a bad stadium for two sports. The stadium is usually round which is terrible for everything,  for baseball you end up with massive amounts of foul territory with seats miles from the field. For football the seats closest to the field end up being the endzones and your prime seats are the furthest away.

I hope you were kidding but anyone who ever went to the Vet or Three Rivers or Riverfront or Busch Stadium or Fulton County Stadium or the Astrodome or the Metrodome or Candlestick Park or RFK Stadium or the Kingdome, or old Anaheim Stadium, or Alameda County Stadium, or Shea Stadium know I'm right. All of those places were terrible to watch a game in. 

I saw the Reds play the Mets in 1976 at Riverfront, Seats were great 10 rows behind the Reds dugout

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.