The Buffalo A's?

Draconator

The management in Oakland have told Oakland city leaders they will pay north of $1 Billion plus and $500 Million in upgrades in infrastructure and housing at the new ballpark site (at Howard Terminal) as well as redevelopment at the Coliseum Site. But in typical Oakland leadership, they are dragging their feet and bringing up what is wrong with the A's plan. 

Major League Baseball it seems, has had enough. 

Would a good team like the A's be able to make it in the Buffalo market? How much of a fight would the Blue Jays and Yankess put up keeping another major league team from coming into their markets? I would personally love this as I am a long time A's fan, and all Terry has to do is sell off more land to fund this. Curious as to what you all think. 

• Haha (+1) 2

No chance.  

I would love it.  Dream scenario.  I would trade the Sabres for it at this point (and I used to absolutely bleed blue and gold).  

But we need a fortune 500 or 2 downtown for this to work, and probably an appetite and budget to build a new state of the art ballpark.  There are much better markets waiting in Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, and even Montreal.  

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

No chance.  

I would love it.  Dream scenario.  I would trade the Sabres for it at this point (and I used to absolutely bleed blue and gold).  

But we need a fortune 500 or 2 downtown for this to work, and probably an appetite and budget to build a new state of the art ballpark.  There are much better markets waiting in Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, and even Montreal.  

That A's are willing to fund a new ballpark themselves. It's just if they move, they're kind of back to square one. They have had measures on ballots for environmental impacts, etc. All has been approved. Just the leadership of Oakland is once again, messing this whole thing up. 

24 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Well Kyler was drafted by the A's and they still hold his MLB rights...

Agreed; exactly my point in suggesting Arizona.  If we ever get to the point with Covid disrupted seasons, maybe he can pull a 'day-night two sport doubleheader'. 😁

16 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

More likely they’d go to Montreal and become the Eh’s.

Been there, done that, still the best 'home' cap in MLB.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1ccf774ef7720c78628cf14c4765757.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Been there, done that, still the best 'home' cap in MLB.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1ccf774ef7720c78628cf14c4765757.jpeg

When I was a kid I always thought the cap logo was E L B. I figured it was French.

There was talk a couple years ago of Tampa moving to Montreal, or at least playing half their games there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As a lifelong A's fan and pre-covid season ticket holder ... I'd hate it. I don't think the A's are going anywhere. Fisher is the worst owner in sports. He's one of the richest owners: worth $3 Billion, but constantly cries poor. Not sure why he even continues to own the team. This is just a ploy to get Oakland behind the team. They already have the votes w/ the city council to continue (w/ the mayor breaking the tie). It just sucks this has dragged on forever. If they do move anywhere...it will be Vegas. BUT if they did move to Buffalo (won't happen), I'd be happy. All my teams (with the exception of the Dubs) would be in one location. It'll hasten my second home in Buffalo push w/ the wife. 

17 hours ago, Draconator said:

The management in Oakland have told Oakland city leaders they will pay north of $1 Billion plus and $500 Million in upgrades in infrastructure and housing at the new ballpark site (at Howard Terminal) as well as redevelopment at the Coliseum Site. But in typical Oakland leadership, they are dragging their feet and bringing up what is wrong with the A's plan. 

Major League Baseball it seems, has had enough. 

Would a good team like the A's be able to make it in the Buffalo market? How much of a fight would the Blue Jays and Yankess put up keeping another major league team from coming into their markets? I would personally love this as I am a long time A's fan, and all Terry has to do is sell off more land to fund this. Curious as to what you all think. 

As an A's fan I would love it but at the same time I can't see it happening as post covid Coca Cola Field just be too small for MLB team. 

7 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

As a lifelong A's fan and pre-covid season ticket holder ... I'd hate it. I don't think the A's are going anywhere. Fisher is the worst owner in sports. He's one of the richest owners: worth $3 Billion, but constantly cries poor. Not sure why he even continues to own the team. This is just a ploy to get Oakland behind the team. They already have the votes w/ the city council to continue (w/ the mayor breaking the tie). It just sucks this has dragged on forever. If they do move anywhere...it will be Vegas. BUT if they did move to Buffalo (won't happen), I'd be happy. All my teams (with the exception of the Dubs) would be in one location. It'll hasten my second home in Buffalo push w/ the wife. 

I think when they make an overt 'threat' like this, coordinated with MLB, there isnt a ton to worry about.  Its when things are more quiet and focused that fans should worry about relocation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.