Schedule Leaks

I recall reading a story that said, this year, the teams will not receive their schedule until one hour before the general release. That was to put a stop to the early releases and keep some interest in the official program. I cannot find a link at the moment (no time). Obviously some league officials must know it, but if the teams are getting schedule info, that info could also be simply rumor---or a leak. That is, if the one hour thing is actually true. Anyone have info on this?

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It definitely would have been unusual if it was. The NFL doesn't have an option that would be considered usual though. It's usually a game against a fellow conference team (not within the division) that was at least in the playoffs the year before. Tampa doesn't have anyone that matches that criteria. I think the Bears are the closest if I'm not mistaken.

I suspect it will be the Cowboys though; a big market, Dak's return, and potential playoff team against the defending SB champs.

interleague games are important to Fox and cbs respectfully. Brady and cowboys games are the ones cbs wants to keep. Fox want to hold onto KC games they get.

with nbc getting the super bowl they will want to see super bowl contenders on their network.

that’s the other thing...IIRC L?a stadium hosts super bowl in 2022 on nbc.  It’s natural to kick off the season from there.

1 hour ago, BBills_88 said:

Plus the Bucs will be coming off a BYE week

That is a suck double-whammy

Giving TB & TB 2-weeks to prep for us... if I was feeling generous I would give them a few hours and feel better about our game plan.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The number 2 market in the country Vs. the number 3 market in the country.

There's your reasoning.

I get the reasoning but week 1 is going to bring in huge ratings no matter what if you schedule 2 contenders

Bears vs rams screams match up somewhere between weeks 2 and 4 Sunday night game to me

19 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I recall reading a story that said, this year, the teams will not receive their schedule until one hour before the general release. That was to put a stop to the early releases and keep some interest in the official program. I cannot find a link at the moment (no time). Obviously some league officials must know it, but if the teams are getting schedule info, that info could also be simply rumor---or a leak. That is, if the one hour thing is actually true. Anyone have info on this?

I think the OP mentioned the change to this in the first post...

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Take it with a grain of salt but I know a guy with connections to the front office and he said McBeane is already pissed.  We play the Pats on 3 days rest, we get the Dolphins coming off their 4 week bye, and we play the whole NFC South on the road on school nights.  

I threw a pinch of salt over my shoulder and that should prevent all of that from happening.

57 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I get the reasoning but week 1 is going to bring in huge ratings no matter what if you schedule 2 contenders

Bears vs rams screams match up somewhere between weeks 2 and 4 Sunday night game to me

There's your answer.

The NFL knows that they will get huge ratings even with an unspectacular match-up, because fans will have been without football for a long time. 

The NFL is always looking for what benefits them the most, not what satisfies the fans.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Plus, that means I'll be kicked out before kick off after I rain down dildos onto the field during the ceremony.

Stop using them before you throw them.

1 hour ago, scuba guy said:

I think he was removed from the board

Did his parole officer insist?

59 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I think the OP mentioned the change to this in the first post...

Thanks. I see it's "the day before". I may have mixed that up with the other change: The teams can release their schedule 30 minutes before the official announcement.  That makes more sense, as it would seem the teams should get more than an hour notice.