ESPN gives Kenny Mayne the pink slip... his Buffalo visit was memorable

^^^

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, please my friend I hope you didn't take offense to my post.  I've known you around here for so long I just felt comfortable joking.  It is actually kind of a cool story. 

However, Royale, honestly I had to sit and think about this for awhile...I came to the realization that I truly have not watched ESPN for years.  If they weren't there before 4-5 years ago I don't know who they are, and anything less than a decade is a strain for me.

I mean I still love sports, but really I love football most and watch the NFL Network, moreso GMFB.  And the most grating thing to me, sports wise, is TV sports talk.  I actually don't mind sports talk radio, but I don't watch any pre-lead up on games on account of the fact that I find them so stupid.  Documentaries?  yes, I am all in, but the other stuff...

Media:  "So and so, you are so very great.  How did you get to be so great?!"

So and so: "Hard work."

Media: "ARE YOU S***TING US?! Unbelievable!  When we get back from the break we are going to crawl inside the mind of 43 year old Tom Brady, because we just don't know enough about him and need to find out what makes him tick!"

I mean for F*** sake.  🙄  I am closer to the end of my life than the beginning and I truly don't have time for that s*** anymore.

^^^the prescient analysis to be found in spades here on TBD has spoiled me rotten to where the talking tv heads in said sports lead-in shows by and large seem ill-informed, at best 😅. At least about our Bills, and that’s really all I care to follow most of the time…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^

^^^the prescient analysis to be found in spades here on TBD has spoiled me rotten to where the talking tv heads in said sports lead-in shows by and large seem ill-informed, at best 😅. At least about our Bills, and that’s really all I care to follow most of the time…

HUDS...

...honestly...

...yeah!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

If it wasn’t for college football and MNF, ESPN is in the same category as MTV.

Not sure why they ran it off the rails.

It used to feel professional but with a sense that they didn’t take themselves too serious.  Now it is about who can act like the biggest clown. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It used to feel professional but with a sense that they didn’t take themselves too serious.  Now it is about who can act like the biggest clown. 

I’m thinking it’s the same reason as MTV. The internet made their original purpose obsolete. ESPN moved to the predominant television news style format, just as MTV moved to the reality show format. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

ESPN had to compete with the internet where you could both watch highlights of any game you wanted on demand and get punditry. So ESPN couldn’t just rely on people tuning in for sports highlights to get views for Sportscenter. They also were no longer the primary place for sports punditry. 

So about 10 years ago they embraced the whole cable news “embrace debate” format starting with First Take and then infecting the rest of their punditry. It had short term gains but put off a lot of people long term. Then YouTube punditry took off more and people turned off ESPN.

They just feel victim to the times and they could only adjust so much.

• Thank you (+1) 1