ESPN gives Kenny Mayne the pink slip... his Buffalo visit was memorable

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

??? Can anyone explain?

Kenny Mayne is an ESPN lifer, he did the famous bit with Marshawn/Applebee’s (that’s the link above)

he’s the latest of the ESPN layoffs - Mike Golic, Trey Wingo etc before him

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kenny Mayne is an ESPN lifer, he did the famous bit with Marshawn/Applebee’s (that’s the link above)

I’m pretty sure he’ll have his own show a la Rich Eisen.

2C70FEFF-6649-45A6-92E9-C17795367098.thumb.jpeg.7146650229ca152689e6df36079d019e.jpeg

Edited by Solomon Grundy

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

??? Can anyone explain?

The brown bear is a large bear species found across Eurasia and North America. In North America, the populations of brown bears are called grizzly bears, while the subspecies that inhabits the Kodiak Islands of Alaska is known as the Kodiak bear.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like that they are making it a clean sweep getting rid of everyone who was any good whatsoever. A few more to go. Mike & Mike was the best thing they had left. 

Hoping they hold onto Booger since he so convincingly described how the clean Cody Ford block was clearly a penalty in the Houston playoff game. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I like that they are making it a clean sweep getting rid of everyone who was any good whatsoever. A few more to go. Mike & Mike was the best thing they had left. 

Hoping they hold onto Booger since he so convincingly described how the clean Cody Ford block was clearly a penalty in the Houston playoff game. 

they really need to get rid of that Scott van pelt. That guy was on the C team on ESPN news and has launched himself to some ESPN anchor superstar. He comes across pretty arrogant; just annoys me. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The brown bear is a large bear species found across Eurasia and North America. In North America, the populations of brown bears are called grizzly bears, while the subspecies that inhabits the Kodiak Islands of Alaska is known as the Kodiak bear.

What about them white bears...

• Like (+1) 1

I think ESPN will become an interesting business school case.  Was it Disney?  Did they leave their core competency?  Did they forget how they add value to the marketplace?  What was the voice of the customer and did they listen?  Did they overpay for content and talent?  Sad to see but the reality of the marketplace.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mike Goliath was let go?  Wow.  The other Mike kinda hosed him, didn’t he?

19 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I think ESPN will become an interesting business school case.  Was it Disney?  Did they leave their core competency?  Did they forget how they add value to the marketplace?  What was the voice of the customer and did they listen?  Did they overpay for content and talent?  Sad to see but the reality of the marketplace.

It was a number of things. Kinda "Perfect Storm"ish.

1. Cord cutters hit them with a major blow.

2. And maybe even bigger, the NFL deciding to launch it's own network, and jack up the cost of licensing highlights pretty much took ESPN out at the knees. They had to cut NFL Primetime, and lots of other NFL content. And lets face it, NFL rules the sports news world.

3. Losing the NHL contract to NBC. Although I'm not sure how much they lost it as opposed to just let it go.

4. All those hits forced them to make major cost cutting moves, which meant all the good (high priced) on-air talent got axed. Which drove down program quality.

The only thing ESPN has going for it is College Football.

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Mike Goliath was let go?  Wow.  The other Mike kinda hosed him, didn’t he?

I dont have the numbers but I'd bet that Golic made far more money over his time at ESPN than he did as an NFL player. So can't really say Greeny hosed him. Plus, it feels like he's been ready to retire for a long time now but was hanging out because he had nothing else to do, the check was decent, and he was helping his kid get a foot in the door to easy money.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Greenie got promoted while Golic stayed where he was and was pissed that Greenie never let-on about what was happening.  Once Greenie left, I think the morning show ratings fell so Golic left/retired and they put in another crew.

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was a number of things. Kinda "Perfect Storm"ish.

1. Cord cutters hit them with a major blow.

2. And maybe even bigger, the NFL deciding to launch it's own network, and jack up the cost of licensing highlights pretty much took ESPN out at the knees. They had to cut NFL Primetime, and lots of other NFL content. And lets face it, NFL rules the sports news world.

3. Losing the NHL contract to NBC. Although I'm not sure how much they lost it as opposed to just let it go.

4. All those hits forced them to make major cost cutting moves, which meant all the good (high priced) on-air talent got axed. Which drove down program quality.

The only thing ESPN has going for it is College Football.

I dont have the numbers but I'd bet that Golic made far more money over his time at ESPN than he did as an NFL player. So can't really say Greeny hosed him. Plus, it feels like he's been ready to retire for a long time now but was hanging out because he had nothing else to do, the check was decent, and he was helping his kid get a foot in the door to easy money.

I was under the impression that Greeny ended their show to start his own.  Golic wanted to keep going.  

Months later, he’s fired

• Like (+1) 1