Is The Salary Cap Dilemma for 2022 a Legitimate Reason to Gamble More This Season

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The reason we are in “cap trouble” is we will be returning 21 out of 22 starters next year.

That’s not trouble. That’s good planning.

Exactly.  Fans who do nothing but looking at the $ figure without any context have no idea what they are talking about.

One would have to go through the remaining roster and first look at the upcoming free agents that are not on the books.

Take the Chiefs for example.  They will need to sign Orlando Brown which alone will lower their cap space greatly.

I for one have given up trying to explain that.  

19 hours ago, gjv001 said:

It appears the Bills will once again in 2022 be at a strong disadvantage to there major AFC competitors for Free Agents. According to Spotrac, here are the salary cap projection for 2022.

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

Perhaps it makes some sense to gamble a little more on improving our roster for this years Super Bowl run, seeing it could become more challenging next year.

I see only two teams with quarterbacks on that list and both have less than 14 million in cap space available 

19 hours ago, gjv001 said:

It appears the Bills will once again in 2022 be at a strong disadvantage to there major AFC competitors for Free Agents. According to Spotrac, here are the salary cap projection for 2022.

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

Perhaps it makes some sense to gamble a little more on improving our roster for this years Super Bowl run, seeing it could become more challenging next year.

There is a 10-year window with Josh, no need gamble on next year. 

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think you forgot Miami, I'd place them at the 3/4 mark too.

Until Tua improves, I can't place them there. They remind me too much of the TT led Bills. Good enough to sneak into the playoffs.... MAYBE... with a lot of help, but not really a true threat for a deep run or the SB. Every other team there is right on our heels as of last year or have shown the ability to get into/push for deep playoff runs. You could maybe argue the Colts took a step back and that the Steelers are hanging on by the thread of Big Ben's arm.

The long and the short of it is - Until he proves otherwise, Tua in my eyes is just a younger Tyrod Taylor when it comes to on field performance. I will say he has better running ability, but a less polished throwing form.

1 hour ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Until Tua improves, I can't place them there. They remind me too much of the TT led Bills. Good enough to sneak into the playoffs.... MAYBE... with a lot of help, but not really a true threat for a deep run or the SB. Every other team there is right on our heels as of last year or have shown the ability to get into/push for deep playoff runs. You could maybe argue the Colts took a step back and that the Steelers are hanging on by the thread of Big Ben's arm.

The long and the short of it is - Until he proves otherwise, Tua in my eyes is just a younger Tyrod Taylor when it comes to on field performance. I will say he has better running ability, but a less polished throwing form.

I agree with 99% of your assessment , however with Tua playing as he did, and as a rookie, the team still won 10 games, 2 games better than the Raiders and within one game of every other team on your list not named Bills or Chiefs.  They are a solid team and just had a good draft with multiple early picks, minus the QB so for that reason I'd place them at the 3/4 mark as they are as good as others on that list IMO.  If Tua improves which I also tend to agree is somewhat doubtful, they could jump towards the top.

I said I agree with 99%...  the one exception is a less polished arm.  I recall plenty of TT passes into the ground or way wide, etc.  hard to beleive someone could be worse in that respect.  Maybe TT's form was good, but just produced bad results!

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I agree with 99% of your assessment , however with Tua playing as he did, and as a rookie, the team still won 10 games, 2 games better than the Raiders and within one game of every other team on your list not named Bills or Chiefs.  They are a solid team and just had a good draft with multiple early picks, minus the QB so for that reason I'd place them at the 3/4 mark as they are as good as others on that list IMO.  If Tua improves which I also tend to agree is somewhat doubtful, they could jump towards the top.

I said I agree with 99%...  the one exception is a less polished arm.  I recall plenty of TT passes into the ground or way wide, etc.  hard to beleive someone could be worse in that respect.  Maybe TT's form was good, but just produced bad results!

Tua did not win 10 games.  And Tua has not run anywhere near as well as Tyrod did for the Bills.

Now without Fitz, Miami has a worse QB situation than they had last year.  The most important position on the team has been downgraded.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Tua did not win 10 games.  And Tua has not run anywhere near as well as Tyrod did for the Bills.

Now without Fitz, Miami has a worse QB situation than they had last year.  The most important position on the team has been downgraded.

True Fitz did start the first few weeks of season and won some of those games and he's now gone.  But even so think I'd still lump the Fish in with those other teams whom the poster deemed 3/4 behind.

17 hours ago, ganesh said:

Ralph Wilson called it the  Cap-To-Cash plan and a lot of people on this board derided that approach then.

I dont think that's quite what we're doing now, though I couldn't be sure, I do believe though that if a situation should arise where we need to spend a little extra to get us over the top I'm confident the Pegulas would step up.

17 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK great idea, what exactly do you think they should be doing to gamble for this season?  Trade our first and second round draft picks for JJ Watt??  Trade next years 1st for Ertz?  The Bills don't have much money to gamble with so options are limited other than making short sighted trades that MAY help in  2021, but long term would likely hurt.

As was stated, it's not a real true number as likely both Edmunds and Allen will sign long term deals prior that will greatly reduce their 2022 cap number.  The Bills are also in a position where they can cut some big $$ players for next year as mentioned in Star, Morse, Klein, Addison, & Sanders.  Likely too these other teams can also cut players, but the names just mentioned can be cut without the team likely losing much on the field.  Can those other teams say the same?  Plus Jets and NE still have big questions at QB along with Steelers beyond 2022, Miami, and to a lesser degree Raiders and Ravens have questions at QB.

I agree with most of your post.

And of course we can cut some guys and save some money.

But you mention cutting Sanders? He's not under contract for next year. No savings there at all. Same with Addison.

And you mention cutting Star, Morse, and Klein next year. If we were to do that, there are no obvious replacements on the roster at this point who could perform at the same level. So if we cut those three we would also have to bring in replacements, especially for Star and Klein. Perhaps Feliciano could move over to center but then who would take over at guard? Is that guy on the roster? Maybe. But maybe not.

Because they didn't draft a speace-eater this year, cutting Star would either mean playing a rookie or a vet min journeyman or paying somebody probably what we would save on Star, or very close anyway. Not drafting anyone there lowered the odds on Star not being there next year. It's early but that's how it looks right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, gjv001 said:

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to post those cap numbers here for us to look at and kick around.  This is a tough time of the year for football fans, not much going on to talk about.  Appreciate the thread.

🍻

Edited by Inigo Montoya

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agree with most of your post.

And of course we can cut some guys and save some money.

But you mention cutting Sanders? He's not under contract for next year. No savings there at all. Same with Addison.

And you mention cutting Star, Morse, and Klein next year. If we were to do that, there are no obvious replacements on the roster at this point who could perform at the same level. So if we cut those three we would also have to bring in replacements, especially for Star and Klein. Perhaps Feliciano could move over to center but then who would take over at guard? Is that guy on the roster? Maybe. But maybe not.

Because they didn't draft a speace-eater this year, cutting Star would either mean playing a rookie or a vet min journeyman or paying somebody probably what we would save on Star, or very close anyway. Not drafting anyone there lowered the odds on Star not being there next year. It's early but that's how it looks right now.

Correct about Sanders and Addison, thought Addison still did have one more year left??

As to Star, Morse and Klein; 

Klein hardly plays unless someone Milano or Edmunds gets hurt, to me easy to find a low cost replacement for him or maybe Smith is that guy.  For the most part only two LB's are on the field most plays.  Can see them drafting a LB fairly high next year too along with a DT.

Morse  you have Bates, Mongo, the FA they signed this year, plus the rookie, plus another draft class, so not too concerned there either.

Agree Star may be harder to find replacement for 2022 so he may stay, plus I see it's listed as only slightly over a $4 mil saving with $5 mil in dead money.  He may get another year.

Just read an article on The Athletic that can save about $15 mil in easy cuts between Klein, Morse, and Matakevich.  D Williams would add another $5 mil, considering they just drafted two OT's good chance that happens.  Can see them saving more $$ by restructuring/extending contracts for Diggs, Beasley, Proyer and Hyde. Maybe that also happens with Star, void the 2023 year in exchange for less in 2022, but becomes guaranteed.