Is The Salary Cap Dilemma for 2022 a Legitimate Reason to Gamble More This Season

It appears the Bills will once again in 2022 be at a strong disadvantage to there major AFC competitors for Free Agents. According to Spotrac, here are the salary cap projection for 2022.

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

Perhaps it makes some sense to gamble a little more on improving our roster for this years Super Bowl run, seeing it could become more challenging next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

There is NO reason to gamble more on this season's roster.   The objective is sustained, long-term excellence.   Period. 

It's not about the other teams and what they are doing or not doing.   Build the best team you can for the longest possible time.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

It appears the Bills will once again in 2022 be at a strong disadvantage to there major AFC competitors for Free Agents. According to Spotrac, here are the salary cap projection for 2022.

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

Perhaps it makes some sense to gamble a little more on improving our roster for this years Super Bowl run, seeing it could become more challenging next year.

Even though there is a lot of uncertainty about 2022’s cap it’s a lot safer to think that the 2023 cap will ballon considerably.  We will see a lot of teams kick hits to that year.  Big jumps in the cap always make it difficult to (efficiently) use a lot of excess space anyway.  That’s because it’s easy for teams to retain just about anyone they want and not much real talent hits the market.  

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

They had about 1M before this offseason started and they got Daryl Williams, Milano, Feliciano, and a host of other guys signed.   What would "gambling" this year look like?  They are not headed for salary cap purgatory but they might be if they do what you suggest.  What is the idea, go wild for 2021 and then blow it up?  No thanks

• Like (+1) 2

There is no issue with the salary cap next year for the Bills, people need to stop saying that. Case in point: KC is on this list-do you really think that with all of the contracts KC had on their roster they are in better shape than Buffalo? There are so many ways to manipulate the cap, it’s really not an issue. You mentioned that Buffalo is at a disadvantage yet they have a huge advantage over everyone on that list except for maybe KC-the Bills have Josh Allen. First, once he signs his extension his cap hit will go down significantly and second, guys are going to want to come to Buffalo to be on his team. 
There really is almost literally no issue in regards to the cap foe the Bills whatsoever

• Like (+1) 2

So first of all, I see only two contenders on that list - one wall we've hurdled and the other one we need to deal with. Tua in no way worries me, Cam Newton/Mac Jones also does not scare me/ And The Jets? It will take more than a year to overcome those damages. You want to talk about teams we should actually worry about joining the fray your list should be: Chargers, Colts, Browns, and Titans.

Second - and this is super important - you can't seriously think the cap will only be 192 million next year..... that singular point should make this thread null and void.

What you're trying to argue is that some teams will have massive cap space next season, but of the teams listed I only see two proven franchise QBs and one has so far required a super specific offensive scheme to be successful. Having cap space does not really mean anything when looking at improvement - see every super team that didn't magically acquire Tom Brady

The AFC hierarchy is currently:

Chiefs

Bills (Half Step Back)

Colts, Browns, Titans, Ravers (Three-Quarter Step Back)

Steelers, Raiders (Full Step Back)

Everyone else

5 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

those numbers dont mean much since a bunch of contracts are not guaranteed on the Bills. Off the top of my head we can save 7.5 mill by releasing Morse, 5 mill by releasing Klein and 4 mill each by releasing Star and Feliciano. Actually, Beane has been quite conservative and has not really kicked the cap woes down the road unlike Tampa Bay, KC etc. I am not even going to get into Beasley, Hyde, Poyer, Williams etc. who will all be a year older and may have to be replaced with cheaper rookies.

Dont believe Beane's public comments - Bills are in decent shape cap wise till at least 2023 when Allen will have to be paid 40 mill plus. Hopefully the new TV contracts will make it smooth even then.

If we were to decide to go all In 2 months AFTER free agency started, heads in the FO should roll.....regardless of how good we thought they were. Luckily, that won’t happen, because I think Beane is as good as I think he is 

• Like (+1) 1

There never is really a cap issue as things can always be worked out, there are a million ways to move cap money around.

That being said I think they believe in the pay as you go model that they have been doing and not kicking it down the road, I think the reason for this is that they like the flexibility this allows.   I also think when they feel the roster is almost as set as it can be, which in a year or two it could be or sooner if guys step up, and paying as they go would allow them to make big free agent moves if they feel they are in a situation where 1 or 2 studs in the right places gets them over the proverbial hump.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There is no Salary Cap dilemma now, in 2022, or ever. The Salary Cap is a myth.

Perfect.  Let's just give Allen a 10 billion dollar contract then.  We'll make Diggs the highest paid WR in the NFL, trade for Ertz and give him a pay raise, and sign Sheldon Richardson to a 20 million dollar deal to shore up our D-line.

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

There is NO reason to gamble more on this season's roster.   The objective is sustained, long-term excellence.   Period. 

It's not about the other teams and what they are doing or not doing.   Build the best team you can for the longest possible time.  

Yes, this. Precisely.

5 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

There never is really a cap issue as things can always be worked out, there are a million ways to move cap money around.

That being said I think they believe in the pay as you go model that they have been doing and not kicking it down the road, I think the reason for this is that they like the flexibility this allows.   I also think when they feel the roster is almost as set as it can be, which in a year or two it could be or sooner if guys step up, and paying as they go would allow them to make big free agent moves if they feel they are in a situation where 1 or 2 studs in the right places gets them over the proverbial hump.

Ralph Wilson called it the  Cap-To-Cash plan and a lot of people on this board derided that approach then.

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There is no Salary Cap dilemma now, in 2022, or ever. The Salary Cap is a myth.

Yeah, right.

And so are credit cards and the fact that if you charge too much you'll be in trouble down the road.

This will make things difficult for them next year. But not impossible. They spent this offseason tying things down with most of their core guys at core positions. They will still be able to make some moves to relieve things next year, though it will cost them down the road. The long-term deal for Josh, as one example, could save them a few bucks off next year's cap.

The tough thing about this is that the cap difficulties forced on all NFL teams by COVID's effects on stadium attendance fell at just the absolute wrong time for us, reducing available cap at just the last two years when we have Josh at non-astronomical rookie contract rates. It greatly reduces our flexibility at a crucial time. It's a shame.

But we'll be fine in the long run because Beane hasn't kicked absolutely every can down the road the way that some teams would have.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Miami   59m

NYJ      53m

Balt       42m

NE         23m

KC         13m

Buf          1m

OK great idea, what exactly do you think they should be doing to gamble for this season?  Trade our first and second round draft picks for JJ Watt??  Trade next years 1st for Ertz?  The Bills don't have much money to gamble with so options are limited other than making short sighted trades that MAY help in  2021, but long term would likely hurt.

As was stated, it's not a real true number as likely both Edmunds and Allen will sign long term deals prior that will greatly reduce their 2022 cap number.  The Bills are also in a position where they can cut some big $$ players for next year as mentioned in Star, Morse, Klein, Addison, & Sanders.  Likely too these other teams can also cut players, but the names just mentioned can be cut without the team likely losing much on the field.  Can those other teams say the same?  Plus Jets and NE still have big questions at QB along with Steelers beyond 2022, Miami, and to a lesser degree Raiders and Ravens have questions at QB.

12 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

So first of all, I see only two contenders on that list - one wall we've hurdled and the other one we need to deal with. Tua in no way worries me, Cam Newton/Mac Jones also does not scare me/ And The Jets? It will take more than a year to overcome those damages. You want to talk about teams we should actually worry about joining the fray your list should be: Chargers, Colts, Browns, and Titans.

Second - and this is super important - you can't seriously think the cap will only be 192 million next year..... that singular point should make this thread null and void.

What you're trying to argue is that some teams will have massive cap space next season, but of the teams listed I only see two proven franchise QBs and one has so far required a super specific offensive scheme to be successful. Having cap space does not really mean anything when looking at improvement - see every super team that didn't magically acquire Tom Brady

The AFC hierarchy is currently:

Chiefs

Bills (Half Step Back)

Colts, Browns, Titans, Ravers (Three-Quarter Step Back)

Steelers, Raiders (Full Step Back)

Everyone else

Think you forgot Miami, I'd place them at the 3/4 mark too.