Cover 1 breakdown on Gregory Rousseau

My expectations are going to be similar to Edumonds rookie year. He will make some flashes but he will have some growing pains. The key difference is the Bills not only have two vet players in front of him but two young players to soak in some snaps at DE too. He can be brought along more slowly which is a good thing. 

• Agree 1

It's only a matter of time (maybe even Game 1) before we see Rousseau and Epenesa on the field together. With such different playing styles and body types, it could be an intriguing pairing. Fingers crossed, anyway!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Like his height too. I can foresee many passes getting batted or tipped and hopefully many of those will end up in the hands of the Defense. Look forward to seeing him in action.

You would think, right?

In any tape I’ve seen, I have yet to witness this. Would think this is coached up moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

You would think, right?

In any tape I’ve seen, I have yet to witness this. Would think this is coached up moving forward. 

Well it's definitely coached up every where. I mean it's one of the most important things for a player on the Dline. Not sure how much different college coaches do compared to NFL, but I feel confident he will hear the words, " if you can't get there, get your hands up" quite often on Bills D.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well it's definitely coached up every where. I mean it's one of the most important things for a player on the Dline. Not sure how much different college coaches do compared to NFL, but I feel confident he will hear the words, " if you can't get there, get your hands up" quite often on Bills D.

I would agree. 

While I didn’t notice “hands up”, I did see plenty of reach as he shed and goes “horizontal”. 

Just now, inaugural balls said:

I would agree. 

While I didn’t notice “hands up”, I did see plenty of reach as he shed and goes “horizontal”. 

Yeah, those clips aren't much to go off of anyway. Just a taste, but either way at 6'7" I think that will be preached to him lol. That's same height as Mario I think. Give or take an inch.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s going to be effective on mobile QBs breaking contain. I feel like this is something Addison struggles with. 

Visions of Kyler Murray in your brain as you typed this?

Reading a little further, I see that it was.  That was the image that popped into my head too when reading your post.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

18 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Tape shows a player who is very raw, but also relentless. Not a bad quality for an edge rusher.

I agree. Not a lot of technique or variety of moves to beat guys one on one. At this point, besides the rip, its trying to go around you and not giving up on the play. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s going to be effective on mobile QBs breaking contain. I feel like this is something Addison struggles with. 

100%. Our secondary caught most of the blame for the Hail Murray play last season, but Addison dove and missed Kyler which gave him the time to set and launch the ball downfield. Substitute Rousseau's length, long strides, and ability to keep contain on that play and maybe we win that game. 

...Reading the rest of the thread, can see you and @Boxcar beat me to this point already. Great minds think alike!

Edited by Dont Stop Billeiving
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks Yolo.  I’ll watch and listen tonight.  I’m really happy with our draft.  It’s boring as a modicum taking five linemen of eight picks, but I thought it was cool.

There wasn’t really many 1 tech DT’s or TE’s to add.  Breida may pleasantly surprise.

Its not the draft you wanted.....but it was the draft you needed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gjv said:

I don’t expect a major contribution from Rousseau this season. However, I believe Rousseau has all-pro written all over him.

Remember the bad old days when we needed the first round pick to be the star of his unit for whatever side of the ball he played on? Yeah, I don’t miss those days, either...

• Like (+1) 7

Well done by Erik Turner.

About the only thing he didn't touch on was the impact of his massive hands in making so many of his plays.

Rousseau's hand size would be among the largest in the NBA......nearly identical hand span to the currently most famous set of huge mitts owned by "The Claw" Kawahi Leonard.

He is great at locating the ball and flattening to not exceed the QB's depth.........but his ability to snare and trip up players that seem too far away to be impacted by a hand swipe is remarkable in itself.

The stat about the bills DL missing so many tackles was really an unspoken problem.........a lot of credit has been given for getting pressures......but being a bad finishing team behind the LOS has been a problem since the last days of The Cold Front.   

As I said during the draft process,  Rousseau is an unusual talent and has a chance to put up much needed TFL numbers despite not looking like a traditional edge bending DE.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think the fact that he didnt play the position before he got to college and only had ONE season (in which he incredibally had over 15 sacks comes into play)

He is a natural for the position without the benefit of years of coaching.......his ceiling is literally though the roof.   He is going to learn things that people say he cannot do now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Bills missed tackle rate on QB pressures stat passes the eye test.  Rousseau could be perfect compliment to Hughes and Oliver.  They are good at getting the initial pressure.  Rousseau is good at getting the QB on the ground.  

Agreed too often, opposing QBs escaped the pressure to make that late throw.  There were quite a few instances.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its not the draft you wanted.....but it was the draft you needed.

Yeah John I know.  I was actually proud of Beane for sticking to a board vs. reaching on needs.

he really stuck to the future as well as now, and btw like the stones reference.

• Awesome! (+1) 1