Cover 1 breakdown on Gregory Rousseau

Made my Monday better, fershur!

Hopefully we’re in for a long, exciting ride with this very large man. A year or two and he’ll be even bigger/stronger.

Loved the bits at the end about ball focus and keeping contain.

Edited by Rhode Island Red
  • Like (+1) 1

Thanks Yolo.  I’ll watch and listen tonight.  I’m really happy with our draft.  It’s boring as a modicum taking five linemen of eight picks, but I thought it was cool.

There wasn’t really many 1 tech DT’s or TE’s to add.  Breida may pleasantly surprise.

• Like (+1) 2

I kinda think that GR will get sprinkled in on plays that favor him, if for no other reason than to get him a little seasoning as it were, depending on results, they will either play him more or continue his tutoring with Bruce..., 😁

I like how Erik addressed the "clean-up/coverage/pursuit" sacks narrative.

I think back to the "Hail Murray" and remember that he really should have been sacked but slipped away. If we had Greg and his tennis racket hands in on the play, Murray probably goes down and the Bills win.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I like how Erik addressed the "clean-up/coverage/pursuit" sacks narrative.

I think back to the "Hail Murray" and remember that he really should have been sacked but slipped away. If we had Greg and his tennis racket hands in on the play, Murray probably goes down and the Bills win.

Yes this is the Addison play that sticks in my mind 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Awesome breakdown. Those guys do great work.

You can see that there is a lot more (obviously) to the narrative that he had a bunch of coverage sacks. When I first heard that, I thought of a guy that maybe lucked into a number of sacks, but the breakdown shows he's got good awareness and he's doing a lot more than just picking up coverage/effort sacks. For arguments sake, you can label them that, but I think there's a lot more to what he's doing than just giving effort. He's doing a good job of playing the run, reading the QB's movement,  and overall doing his 1/11th, which you know this staff preaches.

I wonder how much they talked to him about his poor pro day. How much was he training for those drills versus working on actual football drills? I remember one of the Embedded episodes, they showed Beane hoping Gabe Davis would run a slow 40 so his draft stock would drop, I wonder if they secretly hoped something similar would happen with Greg. He did have the number one 10 yard split of the draft class and on the team, so he's got burst. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Been telling myself since Draft night “Don’t get Excited! Don’t get Excited!”

Nope.

I’m EXCITED!!

Hit the ground Running, Gregory!

Lol, hard not to. Dude is a monster! Close to Mario Williams size, maybe a bit bigger.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Bills missed tackle rate on QB pressures stat passes the eye test.  Rousseau could be perfect compliment to Hughes and Oliver.  They are good at getting the initial pressure.  Rousseau is good at getting the QB on the ground.  

Those long arms man! He looks like he's outta the play and then he's just a pro at using his length, whether it's an arm tackle or jumping at the qb, he closes that gap fast. He def might play cleanup for jerry!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Bills missed tackle rate on QB pressures stat passes the eye test.  Rousseau could be perfect compliment to Hughes and Oliver.  They are good at getting the initial pressure.  Rousseau is good at getting the QB on the ground.  

Love Hughes, but can remember multiple times he came screaming around the edge and the QB just climbed the pocket away from him.

It seems Groot and Boogie are both good at maintaining vision throughout the rush and climbing the pocket with the QB. 

• Like (+1) 5

These are the sorts of videos that bring out the homer in me.

For me the most exciting element to this is the way McD/Frazier rotate the D-line. The '19 rotation was certainly more effective than the '20. But this year with a rotation that includes Epenesa, and Oliver moving up towards their ceiling, Hughs, the return of Star, and the two monsters Basham and Rousseau? There are going to be some gassed O-lines in the fourth quarters vs. the Bills D, and it's going to be fun to watch!

We're going to cut some good depth before the season begins, but what remains should be a really dynamic group.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

These are the sorts of videos that bring out the homer in me.

For me the most exciting element to this is the way McD/Frazier rotate the D-line. The '19 rotation was certainly more effective than the '20. But this year with a rotation that includes Epenesa, and Oliver moving up towards their ceiling, Hughs, Addison, Butler, the return of Star, and the two monsters Basham and Rousseau? There are going to be some gassed O-lines in the fourth quarters vs. the Bills D, and it's going to be fun to watch!

I was listening to an analysis of basham and they mentioned that wake forest played him like 100% of snaps because he was “the guy” and they wanted him out there at all times. They said at times he would look gassed and it impacted his production. In a rotation plus with Bills S&C program  I’m thinking he will be I even more effective 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2