Punter question

19 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

The inability to be a top notch holder cannot be one of the primary reasons that Bojo was allowed to walk -- I heard Tony Romo say that proficiency at this skill was just not very important ... he would know.

Probably not primary, but a factor.  And Romo botched several snaps IIRC, so to him I guess it wasn't important...

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The guy likes ranch dressing

I know, talk about a total loser, 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Bojo had a 44 net last year.   Haack netted 39.8.   Say whatever you want about placement, Haack doesn't seem like an upgrade to me.

Really hope I'm wrong.

Ok. I'll say that placement, especially being able to pin an opponent deep in their own end, is more important than net yardage.

And Bojo had an extremely small sample size last year, for one thing. His 2019 net average was 38.2. In 2018 it was 40.2.

I would have been totally fine keeping him for another year if the price was right, but if the team wants to move on for a more consistent player (at a position where consistency is by far the most important trait), I'm fine with that.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am also not sure the league (including the Bills front office) values Corey Bojorquez as much as some Bills fans seemed to. After sitting out there for a few weeks he signed in LA where, unless they decide they can't afford Hekker's salary, he has next to no chance of winning the job. That leads me to think it might have been his only option. Teams do not want punters who are, as I have always described Bojo, an adventure. Yes, he has a big leg and he had a better year all told in 2020 (but was used much less). A guy who drops snaps, shanks punts in big moments, has inconsistent hang time and a tendency to line drive punts, is a bad holder.... that turns NFL teams off. Just having a big leg is not enough to compensate. 

If you're not one of the top five punters in the world.. you just described your average Sunday week for a punter

Line drive punt, terrible hang Time, two nice punts and a shank 

I saw plenty of holders last year not get the laces around not just bojo, who also didn't do it for the last 10 weeks 

Bojo been inconsistent but he's definitely entering his prime

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you're not one of the top five punters in the world.. you just described your average Sunday week for a punter

Line drive punts, terrible hang Time, two nice punts and a shank 

I saw plenty of holders last year not get the laces around not just bojo, who also didn't do it for the last 10 weeks.

Nah. No other punter in the league was the adventure that Bojo was out there. The kid isn't without talent. But he is the poster boy for unreliable. Telling that no team looking for a starting punter showed interest.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. No other punter in the league was the adventure that Bojo was out there. The kid isn't without talent. But he is the poster boy for unreliable. Telling that no team looking for a starting punter showed interest.

Don't think that if he comes into camp looking good that they won't ditch hekkar and his salary 

And trust me Gunner the only adventure he did was when he tried calling his own fake kick pass. I've been coaching and scouting for 30 years and I've seen plenty of punters do what he do does in the NFL.. be inconsistent punting.. the fake kick was stupid but that's one incident

And last year he was way more consistent than he's ever been.  And his stats back it... Every punter last year had a 20 yard shank

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don't think that if he comes into camp looking good that they won't ditch hekkar and his salary 

And trust me Gunner the only adventure he did was when he tried calling his own fake kick pass. I've been coaching and scouting for 30 years and I've seen plenty of punters do what he do does in the NFL.. be inconsistent punting.. the fake kick was stupid but that's one incident

And last year he was way more consistent than he's ever been.  And his stats back it

I agree with your last sentence. I disagree with the rest.

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with your last sentence. I disagree with the rest.

Gunner , you know I do due diligence and I don't talk out my butt 

Let's break it down.. the average punt distance from your own 1 to 24 yard line. It's 45 yds...  With a bad punt or shank percentage of 30%.. bojo had 3 BAD punts out of 10 in that distance

The League average was 30%. 33% is right on par. So strictly average with his percentage of bad punts.. and he also had the longest punt of the year 

From the 25 to the 49 yard line. The League average was about 40 yards. With a bad punt or shank punt percentage of about 18%.. 

Bojo was ahead of The League average at 16% 

Top 5 in Net 

Inside 20% was very high

Then some bad ...  Lead league in Touchbacks..  forgot to spin laces three times... Short games inconsistent 

But when you take it all as a whole.. and then you see his progression from 2019 to 2020.. I think it's clear to say that his trajection is going up 

And that he performed better than a lot of punters.. 2019 absolutely an adventure.. 2020 was much better

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gunner , you know I do due diligence and I don't talk out my butt 

Let's break it down.. the average punt distance from your own 1 to 24 yard line. It's 45 yds...  With a bad punt or shank percentage of 30%.. bojo had 3 BAD punts out of 10 in that distance

The League average was 30%. 33% is right on par. So strictly average with his percentage of bad punts.. and he also had the longest punt of the year 

From the 25 to the 49 yard line. The League average was about 40 yards. With a bad punt or shank punt percentage of about 18%.. 

Bojo was ahead of The League average at 16% 

Top 5 in Net 

Inside 20% was very high

Then some bad ...  Lead league in Touchbacks..  forgot to spin laces three times... Short games inconsistent 

But when you take it all as a whole.. and then you see his progression from 2019 to 2020.. I think it's clear to say that his trajection is going up 

And that he performed better than a lot of punters.. 2019 absolutely an adventure.. 2020 was much better

I agree 2020 was much better, I don't dispute that at all. But he is too unreliable and it worries me that his best year came on his smallest sample size. There is a reason he ended up with the Rams who have an established incumbent and while I agree it isn't beyond the realm that they decide that saving $1.6m is worth the downgrade I just don't believe that he chooses that situation for $1m with $0m guaranteed if he had other suitors. He didn't. And the reason why he didn't is that when you look at his past he is too much of an adventure for a team to take a risk on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I agree 2020 was much better, I don't dispute that at all. But he is too unreliable and it worries me that his best year came on his smallest sample size. There is a reason he ended up with the Rams who have an established incumbent and while I agree it isn't beyond the realm that they decide that saving $1.6m is worth the downgrade I just don't believe that he chooses that situation for $1m with $0m guaranteed if he had other suitors. He didn't. And the reason why he didn't is that when you look at his past he is too much of an adventure for a team to take a risk on.

I absolutely agree that we need a more consistent punter.. because we are in our window right now

Professionals do grow and get better, and I can see bojo being pretty good in two or three years if he works on his shortcomings

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I absolutely agree that we need a more consistent punter.. because we are in our window right now

Professionals do grow and get better, and I can see bojo being pretty good in two or three years if he works on his shortcomings

I wouldn't have been against it if we had brought him back at the price we signed Haack. It is just that I think the reason he ended up where he did on the contract he got is pretty simple to work out. Teams see him as a risk.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't have been against it if we had brought him back at the price we signed Haack. It is just that I think the reason he ended up where he did on the contract he got is pretty simple to work out. Teams see him as a risk.

He's still getting paid more than over a dozen punters in the league. He might not play there so they're obviously not going to guarantee him anything

I can see Los Angeles cutting hekkar if bojo comes to play as I said. 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Idk why you wouldn’t always have a guy that can run and throw as a holder. Gives you options on fakes or mistakes

Brian Moorman was an excellent athlete as a punter/holder.  He could run and throw.  Buffalo was not afraid to use him on fake puts at all.  I don't recall if he was involved with many fake field goal attempts, but he was definitely capable.  I don't have any idea what kind of athlete Haack is.

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Brian Moorman was an excellent athlete as a punter/holder.  He could run and throw.  Buffalo was not afraid to use him on fake puts at all.  I don't recall if he was involved with many fake field goal attempts, but he was definitely capable.  I don't have any idea what kind of athlete Haack is.

Haack is an excellent athlete actually. He was a star wide receiver in high school who took a weird path to punting. Great article here:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/09/11/matt-haack-miami-dolphins-dowling-catholic-arizona-state-nlf-punter/5699875002/

He will be a fan favorite, and will improve our field goal game by being a much better holder. He doesn’t seem to have the fastball that Bojo has, but he’s the more complete punter. He developed great chemistry with the kicker Sanders as well. 

And there is this too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1201219614874750976

Edited by MrEpsYtown

11 hours ago, mabden said:

What I heard Beane say was, "We are not on the same page."  wrt Bojo.

I remember hearing that Bojo was very interested in his punting distance numbers and that was at odds with what the Bills wanted him to do........purportedly more hang time and less return-ability.     

• Like (+1) 1