Punter question

I remember hearing that Bojo was not retained because he “did not want to be here” (something like that). Although he was inconsistent he had a big leg and I wondered if anyone read or heard more on this. 
On a side note he was not the worlds best “holder” for our other kicker. It made me think how that position has evolved. For a while it was quarterbacks that held and now it is a lot of punters. Question  for old timers, do I remember correctly that at one time Bob Chandler was the holder?

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

I remember hearing that Bojo was not retained because he “did not want to be here” (something like that). Although he was inconsistent he had a big leg and I wondered if anyone read or heard more on this. 
On a side note he was not the worlds best “holder” for our other kicker. It made me think how that position has evolved. For a while it was quarterbacks that held and now it is a lot of punters. Question  for old timers, do I remember correctly that at one time Bob Chandler was the holder?

Yes, Chandler was a holder on kicks for the Bills and Raiders. This list ranks him 8th best all-time.

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2019/04/top-holders-and-long-snapper-in-history.html

• Agree 1

I actually heard the same thing Toledo Bill heard - though I don't recall if it was a solid source.  Money was part of the problem but so was geography.  Supposedly, he preferred to be closer to his home/family in California.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I was sad to see him go.  That kid can kick the crap out of a football!

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Do you mean our @Chandler#81 - Holder, Wide Receiver, Global Moderator, All-Around Good Guy ???

image.png.4267b100f8e55a45e53502a94084ee4b.png

Edited by CSBill
  • Haha (+1) 3

I remember a playoff game against the Jets where David Humm took the first snap of the game, because the Bills ran back the opening kickoff for a TD and the first snap was the extra point.

Sad end for Humm by the way, spent 30 years crippled by MS before dying at age 65.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He didn't want to be here at the money they were willing to give him.

I am also not sure the league (including the Bills front office) values Corey Bojorquez as much as some Bills fans seemed to. After sitting out there for a few weeks he signed in LA where, unless they decide they can't afford Hekker's salary, he has next to no chance of winning the job. That leads me to think it might have been his only option. Teams do not want punters who are, as I have always described Bojo, an adventure. Yes, he has a big leg and he had a better year all told in 2020 (but was used much less). A guy who drops snaps, shanks punts in big moments, has inconsistent hang time and a tendency to line drive punts, is a bad holder.... that turns NFL teams off. Just having a big leg is not enough to compensate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Do you mean our @Chandler#81 - Holder, Wide Receiver, Global Moderator, All-Around Good Guy ???

image.png.4267b100f8e55a45e53502a94084ee4b.png

Don't forget Playgirl centerfold

https://vault.si.com/vault/1982/07/12/the-bare-facts-are-hes-a-star

The problem, as Oakland Raider Wide Receiver Bob Chandler sees it, was that "I never wanted notoriety for anything other than my playing ability. That's why I had no notoriety." That was before he appeared pretty much in the altogether in the pages of the January 1982 issue of Play girl magazine. "Strange, isn't it," says Chandler, "that after 11 years of busting my ass on the football field, I get the most attention for spending eight hours exposing my ass?"

938547269_Screenshot2021-05-10064509.jpg.12b5e5e23241700912bc832143347bd7.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the money is about the same, then I think most players would rather either be near home or on a possible championship team.  The Rams look like a playoff team this year and it’s close to his family so it makes sense to me. 

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

If the money is about the same, then I think most players would rather either be near home or on a possible championship team.  The Rams look like a playoff team this year and it’s close to his family so it makes sense to me. 

He might be even closer to family...

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Teams do not want punters who are, as I have always described Bojo, an adventure. Yes, he has a big leg and he had a better year all told in 2020 (but was used much less). A guy who drops snaps, shanks punts in big moments, has inconsistent hang time and a tendency to line drive punts, is a bad holder.... that turns NFL teams off. Just having a big leg is not enough to compensate. 

You forgot the unilateral fake field goal.  He should have been cut immediately after that cluster *****.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

But he is very unlikely to make the team..... 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he is very unlikely to make the team..... 

Do we already have his replacement, or do you think he'll come back here after "getting on the same page," as Beane?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Do we already have his replacement, or do you think he'll come back here after "getting on the same page," as Beane?

$2.25m in dead cap if they cut Haack now. I think they are pretty fixed on him being their guy this year. They haven't even brought another camp leg in yet that I have seen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1