Getting a new grill— thinking about a Kamado

Miyagi-Do Karate

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On your Vision, do you have issues with the seal?  That was the one thing that ended up scaring me away from it— from reviews, people had to get some different kind of fabric to fix some issue with the seal not being tight enough. 

I havent had any issue with the seal yet, i just took a look and it looks fine.  Like Sherpa says, there's a ton of aftermarket choices when it comes time to replace it.  I use the hell out of mine though, and so far so good

• Thank you (+1) 1

I should have mentioned, if you need to replace that part, its a fabric gasket.

Ten minute job to replace.

Pull the old gasket off, use a chisel/knife/ blade of whatever sort to get the adhesive off, and put the new one on.

Let it sit for a day and your back in grilling business.

• Like (+1) 1

The BGE is excellent in my opinion but takes some time and experimenting to get down.  I cook anything on it from pizza to ribs to brisket etc.  leave it out all winter with no issues. Use only lump charcoal and start it with cotton balls dipped in vegetable oil and good to go. 

I think that unless your going top shelf Komodo Kamado then the BGE Primo or Joe are all good choices. 

goodbthing with the BGE is there are easy to find accessories and articles for mixing matching items of other brands to meet your needs.  And so many websites for recipes and help. 

Just remember grill space is limited so you may need to multi-tier for extra space. Go XL if you plan on cooking for 6-8 regularly 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my grill and was able to try it out and smoked some baby back ribs. Wow. Can’t believe how well it works and how easy it was to control the temperature. That sucker stayed at 225 pretty much all day, with minor tweaks. And the lump charcoal Could have burned for like 3 weeks it seems. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Finally got my grill and was able to try it out and smoked some baby back ribs. Wow. Can’t believe how well it works and how easy it was to control the temperature. That sucker stayed at 225 pretty much all day, with minor tweaks. And the lump charcoal Could have burned for like 3 weeks it seems. 

Did you burn it in or did you cook the ribs right out of the gate?

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Did you burn it in or did you cook the ribs right out of the gate?

i did pretty well. The one mistake I made was basically after they were done, I put them on a side charcoal grill to sear them a little to get a bark, and I wasn’t paying attention and part of the top burned. Wish I hadn’t tried that, because otherwise they were perfect and fell off the bone. 

34 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i did pretty well. The one mistake I made was basically after they were done, I put them on a side charcoal grill to sear them a little to get a bark, and I wasn’t paying attention and part of the top burned. Wish I hadn’t tried that, because otherwise they were perfect and fell off the bone. 

I’m sure they were awesome! And I’m sure everyone enjoyed them! I wish I’d have been there. 

We had friends in Florida who liked a particular grilled chicken dish. The guy always wondered how I did it without burning the bejeezus out of it. His wife was quick with “did you notice, he stood by the grill? He didn’t leave to shoot pool or lift weights?”

I’d just stand by the hot grill and jump in the pool every few minutes. No words to express how much I loved those days. Hope for more days just like that to come.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m sure they were awesome! And I’m sure everyone enjoyed them! I wish I’d have been there. 

We had friends in Florida who liked a particular grilled chicken dish. The guy always wondered how I did it without burning the bejeezus out of it. His wife was quick with “did you notice, he stood by the grill? He didn’t leave to shoot pool or lift weights?”

I’d just stand by the hot grill and jump in the pool every few minutes. No words to express how much I loved those days. Hope for more days just like that to come.  

that is smart!

The old operator error gets me every time! I was shooting the bull, and before I knew it… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.