Track speed vs. football speed

13 hours ago, Augie said:

DK could fly by the HOF, but at the time nobody was sure if he could turn into the parking lot.  :)

I get that hindsight is perfect, but this picture is yet to be fully formed. We still don’t know what Ford will be, but I’ll try to be hopeful.

Regardless, I won’t let regrets make me angry or upset. Not one single team goes without some whiffs in the draft. We do better than most, on the whole. I like our direction, I’ll let the pros do their jobs. 

Spare me the “hindsight” BS when I spent months before the draft defending DK against his doubters. I broke down every criticism systematically and explained why they were not a big deal. I went on record saying I would hypothetically take him #1 overall. 

Still all his doubters are hiding behind the hindsight excuse. 

Cody Ford’s struggles just magnify an obvious mistake. We couldn’t trade our entire 2019 draft for DK at this point. 

it’s not the end of the world, and the Bills have been good despite passing on him. I just don’t understand why fans can’t admit it was a mistake

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

DK could fly by the HOF, but at the time nobody was sure if he could turn into the parking lot.  :)

I get that hindsight is perfect, but this picture is yet to be fully formed. We still don’t know what Ford will be, but I’ll try to be hopeful.

Regardless, I won’t let regrets make me angry or upset. Not one single team goes without some whiffs in the draft. We do better than most, on the whole. I like our direction, I’ll let the pros do their jobs. 

There were plenty of people talking about Metcalf. 

The pictures of him looking like the Hulk before the Combine made the rounds, and then the 4.33 (1.49s at 10 yard) caught attention, with a 40.5" vertical, 11'2" broad, 27 reps on the bench.  

There were concerns about his neck and his agility scores. 

Of course Metcalf was worth taking over Cody Ford, who immediately wasn't thought of as a pure NFL OT. 

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yes, in hindsight it would be fun to have him, but at the time if the draft, Metcalf was considered a raw talent.  He could’ve flamed out as much as he ended up doing well.  I don’t think we know yet what we have in Ford.

Ford was bounced around in 2019, and ######ed his development.  If we drafted him for a tackle position, that was a mistake.  He’s a Guard.  After 2021, given he stays healthy and is asked simply to be the left guard, we’ll see if he can be the best at that spot.  If so, we have a young Guard for awhile.  If not, he was a bust and we move on or relegate him as a permanent backup role.

In the end, we have Diggs, and Davis for a long time, Beasely for a couple of years, and Sanders is a nice pieces to plug a hole for this year.

As far as his tryout, I’m happy he tried, and even if he didn’t go far, at least he pursued a dream.  There’s nothing wrong with that one.  Remember when Carl Lewis wanted to see if he could play in the NFL.  The Cowboys drafted him in the 12th round, but never played.  

There were plenty of people clamoring for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Could never be sure of this,of course, but DK seemed to fit the profile of the "freak" athlete that Beane has seemed to favor over guys with big stats on the field at the college level (examples Allen, Edmunds, and now Rousseau, among others). Makes me suspect that the Bill's had something that they did not like in DK's medical. Understandable that he was passed over for that reason. Can't win them all ...

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Spare me the “hindsight” BS when I spent months before the draft defending DK against his doubters. I broke down every criticism systematically and explained why they were not a big deal. I went on record saying I would hypothetically take him #1 overall. 

Still all his doubters are hiding behind the hindsight excuse. 

Cody Ford’s struggles just magnify an obvious mistake. We couldn’t trade our entire 2019 draft for DK at this point. 

it’s not the end of the world, and the Bills have been good despite passing on him. I just don’t understand why fans can’t admit it was a mistake

“Hindsight” is exactly what it is. I understand, you are very proud that you got one right. Too bad every NFL team didn’t listen to you, because they pretty much all passed on him. TWICE. 

I know some people who just love to tell you about every stock they bought that did well. They should be gazillionaires! But they never tell you about the ones they got wrong. 

20 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Track is way different type of running and a different type of training regime needed. It is an impressive feat for DK at his size with very little if any of that training was able to beat out 2 other track athletes who had been training for that event presumably for years. 

He did great and actually had a great start but they caught him the last 15 -20 yards.  He dwarfed all the track guys ; would be interesting to see the results if they ALL  had pads on !  😀

I think he should run the trials for the World Indoor Championship for the 60m sprint considering he got caught towards the end of the 100m.

I know some sprinters attempt to get to the Olympics via Bobsleigh - I assume his extra mass compared to most sprinters might actually be a benefit in this sport?

In any case he gave it his best and seemed to enjoy the experience and gave us something to talk about.

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hill_(American_football) 

Thats why...  Both had crazy good workouts, and not a ton of field production.  

But him being the 9th one selected is still a bit shocking tho.

I don't really care about the workouts. His film should have made him a top 10 pick. The thing missing with guys like Stephen Hill is they don't show the ability to get off press coverage and without that, those physical tools aren't super helpful. DK embarrassed corners when they tried to press him. Elite ability to get off the press and then elite acceleration, speed, and size; even with just adequate hands he was a dynamite prospect. NFL teams blew it with him.

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yes, in hindsight it would be fun to have him, but at the time if the draft, Metcalf was considered a raw talent.  He could’ve flamed out as much as he ended up doing well.  I don’t think we know yet what we have in Ford.

Ford was bounced around in 2019, and ######ed his development.  If we drafted him for a tackle position, that was a mistake.  He’s a Guard.  After 2021, given he stays healthy and is asked simply to be the left guard, we’ll see if he can be the best at that spot.  If so, we have a young Guard for awhile.  If not, he was a bust and we move on or relegate him as a permanent backup role.

In the end, we have Diggs, and Davis for a long time, Beasely for a couple of years, and Sanders is a nice pieces to plug a hole for this year.

As far as his tryout, I’m happy he tried, and even if he didn’t go far, at least he pursued a dream.  There’s nothing wrong with that one.  Remember when Carl Lewis wanted to see if he could play in the NFL.  The Cowboys drafted him in the 12th round, but never played.  

Jerry Rice at one point had a world class hurdler opposite him on the 49ers named Renaldo Nehemiah. He had something like 750yds in three seasons and 4 TDs. That didn't really pan out either.

• Agree 1

Here's an interesting factoid that most track guys know:  you can only sprint at max. speed for around 1.5 seconds.  The remainder of a 100 sprint is either acceleration or deceleration (the latter despite your best efforts - and truthfully, trying hard makes it worse - you need to stay smooth and relaxed).  Sprinters train for years to maximize speed maintenance, through repetition and technique training.  Football is all about rapid acceleration and change of direction.  So there really is a difference.

I have no doubt Metcalf (and others, like John Ross or Tyreek Hill) could be a World-class sprinter.  But as many on here have pointed out, he would need to walk away from football (and the millions of dollars) to focus exclusively on track.  To possibly have career earnings of $10 million.

Interesting.  I've seen only one post that hated on DK for being an also-ran in the meet.  C'mon 'quise haterz, you should be all over this!  You rained down your hate on 'quise for being an also-ran in long jump, so send some of that DK's way.  What are you waiting for?

Good for both DK and 'quise.  10.37 is an awesome 100m time for someone who doesn't sprint full-time.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

14 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I don't really care about the workouts. His film should have made him a top 10 pick. The thing missing with guys like Stephen Hill is they don't show the ability to get off press coverage and without that, those physical tools aren't super helpful. DK embarrassed corners when they tried to press him. Elite ability to get off the press and then elite acceleration, speed, and size; even with just adequate hands he was a dynamite prospect. NFL teams blew it with him.

The production was fairly limited though.  65 catches across 2 seasons.  

I saw the race clip on YouTube. DK absolutely towered over all the other guys. The other track athletes were not only better technique-wise, they were all 40+ lbs lighter. He probably does have elite track speed for his size, but sprinters just aren't that big, for a reason. They interviewed him after & asked him if he had interest in doing another event after further training & maybe shedding some weight, he said "Na, I've got to get ready for minicamp". I thought that was great.