Keuchly coming back? He has resigned from his Pro Scout position at Panthers.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe he's taking Dan Morgans place!.  LOL

They both did play middle LB for the Panthers and were there in Carolina in the McD/Beane era.  Stranger things have happened!

Brian Gaine is more likely since he was on staff before and was a GM for one year in Houston.

IF he is interested in that route Bills would likely would create a different position for him.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Brian Gaine is more likely since he was on staff before and was a GM for one year in Houston.

IF he is interested in that route Bills would likely would create a different position for him.

LK will need to put many more years in as a scout before he would even be entertained as a FO type.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

LK will need to put many more years in as a scout before he would even be entertained as a FO type.

Bring a scout is not requirement to be a FO type even GM.

Beane was never a scout although he probably helped for he is the type of person who pitched in whenever work was needed to be done.

He went from a temp intern position to communications intern to front office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Beane

As an executive:

Carolina Panthers (1998–2007) - Personnel [front office]

Carolina Panthers (2008–2014) - Director of football operations / interim GM

Carolina Panthers (2015–2016) - Assistant general manager

Buffalo Bills (2017–present)  - General manager

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/07/22/new-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-took-early-career-risk-paid-off/500744001/

Beane didn’t last long writing press releases for the Panthers. He was driven to seek more responsibility, and former Panthers general manager Marty Hurney saw that. He moved Beane into the football operations department, and this is where Beane began learning the business side of football.

He was in charge of the Panthers training camp, then he began working with budgets and travel itineraries, and pretty soon he was in charge of football ops with an eye on the big office, general manager. Hurney was fired in 2012, and owner Jerry Richardson had Beane finish that season as interim GM, but ultimately, Richardson hired the more experienced Gettleman in 2013.

I hope he does not attempt a comeback. Jeopardizing his brain by subjecting it to more damage after multiple severe concussions is not worth a couple more years of playing. I hope for his own health that he is planning on going into coaching instead. Considering the Carolina/Buffalo pipeline, maybe he'll join our staff.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bring a scout is not requirement to be a FO type even GM.

Beane was never a scout although he probably helped for he is the type of person who pitched in whenever work was needed to be done.

He went from a temp intern position to communications intern to front office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Beane

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/07/22/new-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-took-early-career-risk-paid-off/500744001/

I'd say that's more the unicorn than the rule.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

He certainly does not NEED to scout to work in front office which is the point.

NFL Front offices encompass a lot of different skills - scouting, finances, communications, logistics, etc.

And unicorns are not uncommon in NFL if people with show passion and willing to work very, very hard.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nah.   Howie Roseman was a bean counter turned recent SB winning GM.   Beane isn't one of a kind.   He was a gopher for Gettleman and in the Smithers role as a DoFO he ended up learning how to run an entire organization.   It's probably going to become more common with success like those two have had.   Teams might have to start paying scouting directors more(they typically make $300K or less).......but as the Bills can attest........long time road scouts.....like Buddy Nix and Whaley.......often don't have the managerial skills or whole-organization understanding to handle the demands of being a modern GM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He certainly does not NEED to scout to work in front office which is the point.

NFL Front offices encompass a lot of different skills - scouting, finances, communications, logistics, etc.

And unicorns are not uncommon in NFL if people with show passion and willing to work very, very hard.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah.   Howie Roseman was a bean counter turned recent SB winning GM.   Beane isn't one of a kind.   He was a gopher for Gettleman and in the Smithers role as a DoFO he ended up learning how to run an entire organization.   It's probably going to become more common with success like those two have had.   Teams might have to start paying scouting directors more(they typically make $300K or less).......but as the Bills can attest........long time road scouts.....like Buddy Nix and Whaley.......often don't have the managerial skills or whole-organization understanding to handle the demands of being a modern GM.

Roseman also graduated from law school.  But Kuechly started-off as a scout which tells me that's the track they wanted him to follow.

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teams might have to start paying scouting directors more(they typically make $300K or less).......but as the Bills can attest........long time road scouts.....like Buddy Nix and Whaley.......often don't have the managerial skills or whole-organization understanding to handle the demands of being a modern GM.

I could not agree more. As much as I detested Whaley in terms of his capability as  GM, I really do think that he was able to spot talent at many positions. That said, he gave away the store in terms of draft day trades over and over again, and didn't however have a clue in terms of the QB position. Yet, he was probably better than Levy as a GM LOL!!!

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I could not agree more. As much as I detested Whaley in terms of his capability as  GM, I really do think that he was able to spot talent at many positions. That said, he gave away the store in terms of draft day trades over and over again, and didn't however have a clue in terms of the QB position. Yet, he was probably better than Levy as a GM LOL!!!

As always, jmo.

That's not saying much.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/27/luke-kuechly-reasons-leaving-panthers-pro-scout-position/

Kuechly also put any comeback thoughts to rest, stating his days on the field are very much over.

“I’m done playing football,” the 30-year-old retiree said. “I’m just going to take my time and see what pops up.”

Ok that is that w.r.t his comeback! Also, since he will be busy hunting and fishing in the fall, guess he wont be assuming Morgan's position with the Bills as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/27/luke-kuechly-reasons-leaving-panthers-pro-scout-position/

Ok that is that w.r.t his comeback! Also, since he will be busy hunting and fishing in the fall, guess he wont be assuming Morgan's position with the Bills as well.

I hear the Buffalo area is great for hunting and fishing👀😎

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Bill from NYC said:

As always, jmo.

IMO this is the stuff that people often miss.  A GM who always makes good picks and signings, but can't stack the chips up right to get contracts that allow for replacing hurt guys, resigning talent, and staying out of cap jail will end up being an ex GM.  i remember pats playd someone, i think the rams, in the super bowl, and there were like six or 7 ex browns on the two teams.  basically a farm team.

Not to mention, if a GM can't get good coaches, well all the talent won't get you over the hump.

the same thing applies to head coaches, we get wrapped up in game day management, and play calling, but how one organizes the practice week so that you have guys able to execute a good plan (you can't just call plays you don't practice because they would work in madden), how you allot time and reps to back ups so they are ready, and what you can get built up over the course of the year so that come playoffs your team has money in the bank on some go to stuff is generally unseen, but really counts.

• Like (+1) 1