Bills back to SJF for training camp? (Update: Not this year)

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exactly. And other things compounding the issue is -

a.) There's no on sight parking. Fans have to stand in line and pile on to busses to be shuttled to and from Camp. No real way of controlling social distancing and the like 

b.) Rochester has cancelled a number of Summer Festivals like Park Ave Fest and moved the Jazz Fest out of the city this year. Things like the Lilac Festival is being spread out over weeks with attendance capped tightly. Opening Bills Training Camp to the public doesn't really jive with how the city has been operating as of late.

That’s a good point - the nfl might be saying that it’s ok but that doesn’t mean Roch/SJF will allow it 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

I think McD and Beanes long term plan was to leave SJF behind. They have a multi million dollar training facility. They want to use it during camp. And it’s just the way things are trending.

I agree they have everything they need at there own training facilities.  

Sean McDermott is on record as saying he likes the atmosphere of a training camp at a remote sit.  I get that everything is compressed now so they don't spend too much time at St. John Fisher, but I think McDermott will be slow to give it up completely.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would think it would depend upon how many guys actually get vaccinated - if they're at a point where they still need social distancing in meetings and the like, that would be pretty tough to achieve in dorm rooms and shared showers.  It was probably tough enough on the support staff to enable all of that (set up for meetings in the field house, then take it down for indoor practice) on their own turf.

I had been hoping to attend training camp at SJF last year because my kid is in college in NYS.  I could visit and attend training camp was the plan.  So much for that.

Maybe if they stay in Orchard Park they would have some practices open to the public.

So st john fisher college ended classes on Thursday 

1) all classes were optional re: zoom or in person 

2) all students were tested on campus every Wednesday 

3) no extra people were allowed on campus at all re: doorm parties (were they drink milk and cookies)

4) when students left the doorm on Thursday only one extra person was allowed into the doorm room to help clean out and carry stuff.

5) all students while on campus were required to have asked on at all times

6) only 1 cafeteria on campus was open.

And st john fisher is in Pittsford and has nothing to do with the city of Rochester (a little higher end clientele)

I will be seeing the ad on Monday put I did not here anything to say a no.

Sjf loves the camp and they get great perks.

And yes parking is all off campus at Pittsford school parking lots and you have to be bused in.

Unless your special and have a staff ID card.

Edited by scuba guy

I always wanted to attend a training camp as a WNY local but it was always one of those things where I would put it off and never make any real effort to make it happen...it was always one of those "well there's always next year" kind of things but I finally bit the bullet and went in 2019.  Very glad I did because I had no clue what we were about to encounter in 2020 and who knows what things will look like for TC going forward.  The past year has really taught me the lesson to never take ANYTHING for granted anymore!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exactly. And other things compounding the issue is -

a.) There's no on site parking. Fans have to stand in line and pile on to busses to be shuttled to and from Camp. No real way of controlling social distancing and the large public transportation increases risk of exposure.

b.) Rochester has cancelled a number of Summer Festivals like Park Ave Fest and moved the Jazz Fest out of the city this year. Things like the Lilac Festival is being spread out over weeks with attendance capped tightly. Opening Bills Training Camp to the public doesn't really jive with how the city has been operating as of late.

Ahhh... I haven't been to the Lilac Festival in literally decades...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Sean McDermott is on record as saying he likes the atmosphere of a training camp at a remote sit.  I get that everything is compressed now so they don't spend too much time at St. John Fisher, but I think McDermott will be slow to give it up completely.

Sean McDermott may like the atmosphere of a training camp at a remote site, but here's the actual NFL memo YOLO linked above...

image.thumb.png.b4944f8d7ea9baee39a9bb5f3f8f74a7.png

When you get into"submit a full IDER plan" and "include information about the air flow and filtration at the alternative location", unless the site already has that information at the ready to provide to the NFL,  I think the clubs be like

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sean McDermott may like the atmosphere of a training camp at a remote site, but here's the actual NFL memo YOLO linked above...

image.thumb.png.b4944f8d7ea9baee39a9bb5f3f8f74a7.png

When you get into"submit a full IDER plan" and "include information about the air flow and filtration at the alternative location", unless the site already has that information at the ready to provide to the NFL,  I think the clubs be like

giphy.gif

I'm thinking more long term than this year.  While COVID is an issue, all bets are off..

Last year was supposed to be the last year at SJF. Because of Covid, there was talk that it would be put on hold and resume the final trip there for this year. That’s obviously not going to be the case yet, so I’m betting we’ve seen the last of Rochester. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, scuba guy said:

So st john fisher college ended classes on Thursday 

1) all classes were optional re: zoom or in person 

2) all students were tested on campus every Wednesday 

3) no extra people were allowed on campus at all re: doorm parties (were they drink milk and cookies)

4) when students left the doorm on Thursday only one extra person was allowed into the doorm room to help clean out and carry stuff.

5) all students while on campus were required to have asked on at all times

6) only 1 cafeteria on campus was open.

And st john fisher is in Pittsford and has nothing to do with the city of Rochester (a little higher end clientele)

I will be seeing the ad on Monday put I did not here anything to say a no.

It sounds as though SJF did all the safe things with the school year, but I have no idea what the NFL/NFLPA IDER (that's Infectious Disease Emergency Response, not the post-genre rock duo) Plan requires - and when they started mentioning air handling and ventilation requirements - yikester! 

I think it would be very understandable if the Bills say "know what? let's stay home in OP, where we already have that IDER plan and stuff"

On the other hand....this source claims "The Bills will present a proposal to the league for their plan to handle camp with any necessary Covid protocols. If approved expect the Bills to be back at Fisher in late July". 

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/bills-could-be-back-at-fisher-this-summer

SowhaddoIknow?

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Rationale for the dorm bootcamp bond style camp was nearly over last year. Only two reasons to have a “camp” in Rochester 1) help team get ready and 2) sell tickets interest. 

I don’t see either of these significantly improved circa 2021 by a SJF camp. 

Bonding is real but they can “bond” over golf or Madden in BUF AND vets be with their family. 

the days when Fred Smurlus showed up out of shape are long over. This is a quality product and doesn’t need a red/white/blue bouncy house in Rochester to sell tickets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Keep it at the stadium and keep fans and media away. 

Why?  If you're vaccinated, no reason why you should not be able to attend fully.   Show your proof of vaccination, and you're in .   

Follow the science.  Do the math.  If you're vaccinated, you are no threat to anyone or to yourself.   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Why?  If you're vaccinated, no reason why you should not be able to attend fully.   Show your proof of vaccination, and you're in .   

Follow the science.  Do the math.  If you're vaccinated, you are no threat to anyone or to yourself.   

I couldn't care less about covid or if anyone was vaccinated 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Is that you Joe?

7 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Rationale for the dorm bootcamp bond style camp was nearly over last year. Only two reasons to have a “camp” in Rochester 1) help team get ready and 2) sell tickets interest. 

I don’t see either of these significantly improved circa 2021 by a SJF camp. 

Bonding is real but they can “bond” over golf or Madden in BUF AND vets be with their family. 

the days when Fred Smurlus showed up out of shape are long over. This is a quality product and doesn’t need a red/white/blue bouncy house in Rochester to sell tickets. 

I agree. Winning is the best way to expand a fan base. SJF is a great training camp site, but the team no longer has a real need for Russ Brandon’s carnival in Rochester. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Keep them at the best facility in the NFL. No need to force them to go to a ***** college and stay in dorms anymore. This isn't the ***** Bills where they need to do off-season things to get people to notice them.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree. Winning is the best way to expand a fan base. SJF is a great training camp site, but the team no longer has a real need for Russ Brandon’s carnival in Rochester. 

20% of the season ticket base is from Rochester and 33% of game day tickets is Rochester. There is real proof and reason that being in Rochester has a true benefit to the team.

Additionally SJFC allows fans free close access that the moment it goes back to OP you will not get back. The NFL has virtually zero free events of any form outside of training camp. If you have a family it’s he perfect exposure for young fans and affordable. This really isn’t talked about enough and the benefits that fans get because of it. I got Jordan Poyers autograph for my wife because I could just walk to the fence where the D was practicing. Your not getting that anymore once it moves.

I honestly do believe the Bills are one day going back to OP because of the investments that have been made. That will be to the loss of fans even if they can still attend. 

• Agree 1

They put some serious cash into the gym and recovery facilities.  They have a full indoor practice facility, outdoor facility, and there's a grass field as well.  Better film study rooms.  Already have all sorts of covid protocols in place (was there for my football league, you have to log in every morning you go and fill out a covid survey) and hosted it there last year anyway.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2