12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah they need to block for the run better to have a better running game.   Breida and Moss are natural fits in outside zone, so they have that at at RB at least.   When they were far and away the top rushing team in the NFL under Rex Ryan,  they got a ton of yardage and their most per-touch production out of Mike Gillislee and Karlos Williams, who weren't exceptional RB's.

That's true on the YPT, but it's worth noting that by far more overall production came from LeSean McCoy - who was still a star, and only played in 12 games - and Tyrod Taylor.  I think if you have great rungame production from a star, it makes it easier for the COP guys to get somewhere.  JMO though.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO RB isn't even a notable weakness for the Bills.........for a variety of reasons, the reality is that the difference in game-impact between having a great RB and a couple average one's isn't that significant.    Block and execute.

To your point, in games where we were able to "Block and execute" last year (Jets, Patriots, Chargers, Broncos), we ran just fine. 

My question is whether we've done enough that we'll be able to "Block and execute" against the better DLs this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true on the YPT, but it's worth noting that by far more overall production came from LeSean McCoy - who was still a star, and only played in 12 games - and Tyrod Taylor.  I think if you have great rungame production from a star, it makes it easier for the COP guys to get somewhere.  JMO though.

To your point, in games where we were able to "Block and execute" last year (Jets, Patriots, Chargers, Broncos), we ran just fine. 

My question is whether we've done enough that we'll be able to "Block and execute" against the better DLs this year.

In 2016 that was the case......but not the first season under Roman when they lead the NFL in rushing in 2015.......when MG and KW ran for 784 yards and 10 TD's........McCoy ran for 895 and 3 TD's and did so at a full yard less per carry. 

The lesson was.......follow the play design LeSean........the blocking was there.   He did in 2016 and it paid dividends but even then MG lead the league in both ypc and in short yardage conversions (which would seem to be a counterintuitive combo) so they weren't sacrificing a thing handing it off to the non-star.    It really was mostly about the blocking and the RB following the dance steps laid out by design.   That kind of production has continued for Roman in Baltimore with a variety of backs.

When the Bills went to outside zone in 2017 the extra time or wider design challenged McCoy's new found discipline and he reverted to some bad habits and he struggled......but more importantly so did the OL which had a harder time reaching their blocks.

I don't know if they've done enough to improve their running game.........but they have added some intriguing scheme fits.   I would love to see them maybe send SF a 5th for Raheem Mostert.....a pending UFA.......and deal one of their other backs for a 7th.    SF might do it,  Shanahan is arrogant about RB's.....he just drafted two.......and Mostert is cheap for a huge per carry RB but not minimum wage.   That would give the Bills maybe the two fastest RB's in the NFL.   But still comes down to blocking.

Like alot of others when seeing Antonio Williams in that Denver game I was blown away (although at the time we had the game in hand) but dont know if thats too small of a sample size just yet.....Would love to see him get more chances next season....I like to think this could be our diamond in the rough.....so to speak.....

On 5/8/2021 at 10:16 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

He will make the team. I’m convinced his raw talent will translate and he’s had enough years to learn the game. 

At least let him return kickoffs or punts, its a waste of his athleticism sitting on the bench.

I just want to go into the season feeling that, when the Bills face a 3rd and 2 or less, they have at least a 75% chance of getting it. 

Last season it seemed to me they seldom made that first down unless Josh sneaked the ball, or they threw. It seemed to me it was a case of the line getting pushed around whenever the defense knew the Bills were going to run. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, JPP said:

Like alot of others when seeing Antonio Williams in that Denver game I was blown away (although at the time we had the game in hand) but dont know if thats too small of a sample size just yet.....Would love to see him get more chances next season....I like to think this could be our diamond in the rough.....so to speak.....

Williams only played in regular season finale vs Dolphins.  While he posted 5.25 YPC and 2 TDs and had a nice 20 yd catch, the Fins really quit in that game.  Fins were down 28-6 at the half and gave up another 4 TDs in the 2nd half to lose 56-26.

So not sure the above stats have any real merit as they all happened in 2nd half of a blowout