2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The IPP just lets a team take 91 before cutdown and 11 on the PS (IPP guy is the only PS player who can't be called up for his 1st year).  

But IPP doesn't give a player more or less eligibility on the PS.  It's still 3 seasons max.  Wade's last chance on a PS is this year.

I must have read it wrong, then. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think the success of the run game in 2021 is about the running backs.   It's about the offensive line. 

Some combination of running backs will step up.   Each of Singletary and Moss and Breida is talented enough to be a 1000-yard runner.  

The problems last season were driven primarily by the offensive line's failures.   The didn't create many nice holes to run through, and the zone blocking schemes were ineffective because they didn't get the push they needed.   The result was that the running backs had a half dozen or more plays per game where first contact as at the line of scrimmage instead of five-yards downfield.  That's 30 or more yards per game, and that's the difference between 107 yards per game, 20th in the league, and 137 yards per game, or 8th in the league.  

How many times were Singletary and Moss - and Allen, for that matter - stuffed on the line of scrimmage last season?   It's the line, not the backs.  

There's a very revealing stat from last season, both Moss and Singletary took their first hits within 2 yards of the LOS, some of the worst numbers in the league, however, they were in good company with yards after initial contact, confirming your comment on offensive line failures.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Moss could be a guy if he is healthy.  Singeltary is not flashy but gets positive yards.  Breida has the potential to make big plays.  Williams showed well enough and stole the soul of a defeated team vs Miami.  Not flashy but probably the right amount of resources dedicated.

7 hours ago, wppete said:

1. Moss

2. Singletary 

3. Brieda (3rd down Back)

they only dressed 2 last year...The other dude is a speacial teamer.  Breida is not a third down back.    Two of those three dress, which two are you choosing?

9 minutes ago, mattynh said:

they only dressed 2 last year...The other dude is a speacial teamer.  Breida is not a third down back.    Two of those three dress, which two are you choosing?

If I had to choose then I’d go Breida & Moss, but I definitely think they dress all 3 barring injury. 

13 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He does play STs though.

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If I had to choose then I’d go Breida & Moss, but I definitely think they dress all 3 barring injury. 

Well last year it was Moss Singletary and Tawian Jones (who isn't really a RB).  The other guy (from Jacksonville, forget his name) did not dress unless due to injury or other circumstances.  So if you dress all three, somone else does not dress and it goes against what they did last year which is possible but someone will have to not dress.  None of those three seem like they fill the ST role like Jones can.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

There's a very revealing stat from last season, both Moss and Singletary took their first hits within 2 yards of the LOS, some of the worst numbers in the league, however, they were in good company with yards after initial contact, confirming your comment on offensive line failures.

Thanks for this.  I'd seen that stat before and forgotten about it.   I just have this image of run after run with no place for Moss or Singletary to go.  Give them a decent crease, and they were pretty good. 

I like the offensive line coming into this season.   I don't know, but I think the coaches really like the power game Ford can bring, if they can keep him on the field.   As I've said before, I wonder whether Feliciano might push Morse at center.   I won't be surprised if the running game bounces back this season, and if it does, it will be the front five doing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this.  I'd seen that stat before and forgotten about it.   I just have this image of run after run with no place for Moss or Singletary to go.  Give them a decent crease, and they were pretty good. 

I like the offensive line coming into this season.   I don't know, but I think the coaches really like the power game Ford can bring, if they can keep him on the field.   As I've said before, I wonder whether Feliciano might push Morse at center.   I won't be surprised if the running game bounces back this season, and if it does, it will be the front five doing it. 

I know a lot of hay has been made that our woes in the running game is more about the O-line than it is about the running backs, and I agree that that is a big element in getting an effective run game.. But, I also think there was a real issue with timing, as well, and that was a question of scheme. I saw a lot of plays where the RB just hit the gap a step, or two too late, and it was just a question of the timing of the play. Sure, the O-line could have held the gap a little longer. But, I feel like I saw a lot of plays where if the RB could have hit the gap a little earlier, they would have had a lane into the secondary before they made contact with the opposing backfield. And that's on coaching.

• Agree 2

The depth of the running back group is fine.  The problem has been the inconsistency of production from Singletary and Moss.  Whether that is the fault of the two RBs themselves, the blocking personnel or blocking schemes, the play calling or whatever.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but he costs them money.

Yeah, Ahmed had 122 yards but on 23 carries, for a 5.3 YPC average.  And they rushed him just 6 times in each of the final 2 games.

lol $200k?  You’re right.  That might bite into the Pegula daughters salad shop backstop

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I know a lot of hay has been made that our woes in the running game is more about the O-line than it is about the running backs, and I agree that that is a big element in getting an effective run game.. But, I also think there was a real issue with timing, as well, and that was a question of scheme. I saw a lot of plays where the RB just hit the gap a step, or two too late, and it was just a question of the timing of the play. Sure, the O-line could have held the gap a little longer. But, I feel like I saw a lot of plays where if the RB could have hit the gap a little earlier, they would have had a lane into the secondary before they made contact with the opposing backfield. And that's on coaching.

That's a good point.  That in-depth article about Singletary from a couple of weeks ago made that point.  It said that the opportunities that the offensive line did create last season were small and they require quick, one-cut decisions.   See it, hit it, then figure out what to do when you're in the hole.   Moss was much better than Singletary doing that last season.  Singletary was more hesitant.  The article said that that's what Singletary is focusing on.  It's the kind of running that we saw from Singletary two years ago, when the holes were a little bigger.  

The point is the same, however.  Assuming Singletary attacks the line the way he can, the Bills don't need better running backs - they need the line to do its job.  

Would I like a more talented ball carrier?  Sure.  Kareem Hunt would have been a cool addition.  Hunt would have needed run blocking too, but his extra gear and shiftiness would have been a nice addition.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I've watched youtube highlights of a few games from the past season, and acknowledging that they are 'highlights', Singletary looked really good when given any chance to with a little space. Also, there wasn't any game that the game plan was centered around the running game, I think there will be more emphasis on running than last season, while still being a big passing team.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol $200k?  You’re right.  That might bite into the Pegula daughters salad shop backstop

Wasted money is wasted money.  If he remains on IPP, he doesn't play, again, this year.  And making a stunning debut at the spry age of 30 likely isn't going to happen.

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

Well last year it was Moss Singletary and Tawian Jones (who isn't really a RB).  The other guy (from Jacksonville, forget his name) did not dress unless due to injury or other circumstances.  So if you dress all three, somone else does not dress and it goes against what they did last year which is possible but someone will have to not dress.  None of those three seem like they fill the ST role like Jones can.

All I guess I can say is last year was last year and this year is this year. Breida is better than Yeldon. We don't have Roberts being just a returner this year. Who knows if we carry a FB or how many TEs we carry? Who knows how many players who make the roster this year will be able to double dip as STers and fill Jones' role? 

8 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

All I guess I can say is last year was last year and this year is this year. Breida is better than Yeldon. We don't have Roberts being just a returner this year. Who knows if we carry a FB or how many TEs we carry? Who knows how many players who make the roster this year will be able to double dip as STers and fill Jones' role? 

I agree things can change but it does not really make sense in my eyes for a team that wants to throw it and have one back on the field is going to use three active positions on rb.  They don’t have an fb.   We will see.