1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Im not saying he’s going to run for 1500 yards this year, but I’d say he’s quality depth. 

Oh, I get that. But is he? RBs drop off cliffs performance wise every year. Just odd to me that a team with nothing on the RB room that was contending for a playoff push last year (Miami) gave him 68 touches last year. He looked really solid in 2018. A bit worse for wear in 2019 (had a lot of injuries) and was almost invisible last year. I'd say he has a lot to prove...and I hope he does.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everyone loves Williams and saying wow wait till next year.  But was all based on what he did in 2nd half against Miami in season finale when Fish were getting blown out, knew they were done for year, out of playoffs and basically just waiting to get the bus warmed up.  Maybe he really is the answer, but just as likely he's not at this point.  And the tie goes to the draft pick!

I agree.  Nothing happens more consistently in the NFL than the late-season flash of some running back who's been mired way down on the depth chart.   Fans get all excited and think the guy is going to be a 1000-yard back next season.  

That guy is at the bottom of the depth chart for a reason, probably two or three reasons.   He flashed for any of several reasons - (1) much of the success of running backs is attributable to offensive line play - any of the team's backs would have had a nice game running behind the line that day, (2) it's the end of the season and the defense mailed it in, (3) no one on the defense had ever seen the kid, either live or on film.  

If Williams were Adrian Peterson, he would be the starting running back.   He isn't, and he isn't. 

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Oh, I get that. But is he? RBs drop off cliffs performance wise every year. Just odd to me that a team with nothing on the RB room that was contending for a playoff push last year (Miami) gave him 68 touches last year. He looked really solid in 2018. A bit worse for wear in 2019 (had a lot of injuries) and was almost invisible last year. I'd say he has a lot to prove...and I hope he does.

He’s only 26. I have no idea what happened in Miami but I’m expecting him to be more productive for us. I do see him over as an upgrade over Yeldon for sure

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Weird to see you say no one was afraid of Moss.  "My lord, he's going to kill a man some day" was frequently uttered by our crew watching him last season.

Consider that both our RBs had mediocre output last season due primarily to run block scheming being so poorly conceived, that none of our backs were feared by our opponents. Don’t get me wrong, We have quality RBs in Singletary and Moss, our OC did not prioritize the run game to the point that it was an afterthought this past season.  Our RB by committee will be better thought of by our fans and opponents this upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

4 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

He’s only 26. I have no idea what happened in Miami but I’m expecting him to be more productive for us. I do see him over as an upgrade over Yeldon for sure

I have no idea what happened to him as well.  He had 12 rushes for 86 yards (7.2 YPC) against the Cheaters in the 3rd-to-last game of the season, a win, and then was relegated to just STs in their final 2 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Weird to see you say no one was afraid of Moss.  "My lord, he's going to kill a man some day" was frequently uttered by our crew watching him last season.

Moss could be a terrible RB and I wouldn't care. His pass blocking is indispensable. It gives the tackles a little more margin for error.

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I wish Beane would finally listen to me and cut Taiwan Jones and keep Antonio Williams. Make him active on game days too. He might not be the gunner Taiwan is on punt coverage. I’d like to see how he does though. He was NC’s MVP on ST his Senior year. But it would be nice to have all our active RB’s be able to run the ball on game days. Makes too much sense to me

If you feel that strongly, you can try calling him 10 times a day until he listens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is Wade's 3rd year on the PS, no?  That's the max.  The IPP doesn't change the number of years, just allows an 11th player.

That part is true, but I had read that the IPP was extended for a 3rd year. I guess it was previously a 2-year program, and Wade had done 2 years, so this was going to be his "make or break" season, but that extension allows him to be a 91st player. I guess I'm not sure how that works if we aren't allowed 90 players, but that's a horse of a different color.

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

Breida plays STs.  I see him taking Jones' place because he can actually be used on offense.  Curious to see what Williams and Wade bring.

Not true.  They had 3 active every game day, with Jones being used almost exclusively on STs.  As I said above, I think Breida can/will take Jones' place.

Technically you are correct, but exactly how many carries did Jones have last year?  I'm not counting him as a RB, he's active for ST.   Can recall him having one catch for a TD I believe??  Was that also in the Miami game when subs were playing more?

I could have stated whether they wish to keep 4 active, but didn't think it made a difference since Jones never runs the ball anyway.

1 minute ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

That part is true, but I had read that the IPP was extended for a 3rd year. I guess it was previously a 2-year program, and Wade had done 2 years, so this was going to be his "make or break" season, but that extension allows him to be a 91st player. I guess I'm not sure how that works if we aren't allowed 90 players, but that's a horse of a different color.

The IPP just lets a team take 91 before cutdown and 11 on the PS (IPP guy is the only PS player who can't be called up for his 1st year).  

But IPP doesn't give a player more or less eligibility on the PS.  It's still 3 seasons max.  Wade's last chance on a PS is this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Like I said in a previous thread, I don't think our RB depth chart is as bad as many make it out to be. I think we have a solid group and there will be some real competition in camp this year. Having an actual TC/Preseason to evaluate will also be helpful for all involved as well. Someone is going to end up being the odd man out and it won't be for lack of ability. :thumbsup:

Singletary gets a lot of grief for a guy with a career 4.8 YPC. He’s not a burner, but he IS effective with adequate blocking and scheme. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You imagine a scenario where they would get rid of Jones, Williams and the rookie RB (and promote Wade)?  

I think Wade has a shot of making the roster over Jones, but low likelihood of it happening.  Think Breida and Moss are "locks".  Breida strictly because he brings speed.  There's a small chance Singletary could get cut if someone clearly out plays him, but not very likely either. 

So I think the most likely thing we'll see is Moss Singletary, Breida on the roster and Jones or possibly someone else replacing him. But then the next question would bif they'd keep all 4 active on game day, prior years they didn't.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Technically you are correct, but exactly how many carries did Jones have last year?  I'm not counting him as a RB, he's active for ST.   Can recall him having one catch for a TD I believe??  Was that also in the Miami game when subs were playing more?

I could have stated whether they wish to keep 4 active, but didn't think it made a difference since Jones never runs the ball anyway.

He didn't run the ball a single time with the Bills last year.  Or the 2 previous years he was with the Bills.  And over his career, the most carries he's gotten in a season is 16 (twice).  I don't think teams think he's very good at running the ball.  Again I can see Breida replacing Jones as a ST'er, but also be a guy they can use on offense, unlike Jones.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Why a waste?

He's been on it for 2 years and as a result can't play in a game, even the meaningless season-ender.  If he's not worth playing in a real game after 2 years, move on.

Edited by Doc

Just now, Doc said:

He didn't run the ball a single time with the Bills last year.  Or the 2 previous years he was with the Bills.  And over his career, the most carries he's gotten in a season is 16 (twice).  I don't think teams think he's very good at running the ball.  Again I can see Breida replacing Jones as a ST'er, but also be a guy they can use on offense, unlike Jones.

Exactly, that's why I didn't count Jones as a RB.  Has Breida played any ST??

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's been on it for 2 years and as a result can't play in a game, even the meaningless season-ender.  If he's not worth playing in a real game after 2 years, move on.

It allows them to have an extra PS for someone else.  Nothing is wasted except a few bucks to pay Wade.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Exactly, that's why I didn't count Jones as a RB.  Has Breida played any ST??

Yes.  And I see what you're saying and hopefully Breida makes him expendable and saves a spot to be used elsewhere.

There are going to be some cuts made, and there will be some unhappy fans. In my opinion, running back is going to be perhaps the tightest competition in training camp.

Singletary is better than a lot of people realize. I wouldn't be surprised if he were the odd man out-- or more specifically, the player who becomes redundant. I actually think he's a better running back than Moss, but Moss is exceptional in pass protection, and that will solidify his roster spot.

Breida may end up being our best FA acquisition. He has the kind of acceleration that Motor, and Moss lack. He had some great plays with the 49ers. If he excels in TC, he could become our feature back. (Although, if he does, I doubt he will see as many snaps as Moss. Moss' pass pro is that good.)

Christian Wade also has exceptional acceleration, or at least he did a couple years ago, the last time we saw him in live action. One would assume he would be a long shot to make the roster. But, the truth is, we really don't know how much he has progressed on his two seasons on the PS.

Taiwan Jones is probably safe for his special teams, but I hope we don't see him on the offense in anything but garbage time in a late-season, meaningless game.

Antonio Williams looked really good in the few plays he had at the end of the season, and he may be the closest thing we have to a power back, which could conceivably place him on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1