Idk if anyone follows Antonio Williams IG but that kid is working hard. Would love for the coaching staff to utilize him this year. Between him and moss I like our backfield. I know singletary states that he all of a sudden developed a burst in the off-season but I’m not gonna hold my breath. No defense is afraid of that guy. He has an average skill set. Pretty comfortable with our backfield right now. Does anyone know if moss will be ready for camp? Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 2

Like I said in a previous thread, I don't think our RB depth chart is as bad as many make it out to be. I think we have a solid group and there will be some real competition in camp this year. Having an actual TC/Preseason to evaluate will also be helpful for all involved as well. Someone is going to end up being the odd man out and it won't be for lack of ability. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Idk if anyone follows Antonio Williams IG but that kid is working hard. Would love for the coaching staff to utilize him this year. Between him and moss I like our backfield. I know singletary states that he all of a sudden developed a burst in the off-season but I’m not gonna hold my breath. No defense is afraid of that guy. He has an average skill set. Pretty comfortable with our backfield right now. Does anyone know if moss will be ready for camp? Go Bills 

I suspect all options are open right now on RB,  but you gotta admit, no one is afraid of Moss either, with our past seasons run game, 1)mediocre or 2)worse are two words that accurately describe the Bills running attack. But luckily for us our GM made it clear to all the coaches and players concerned that we will have an effective run game going forward, I think Singletary, Moss and the Miami cast off will do well this upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Like I said in a previous thread, I don't think our RB depth chart is as bad as many make it out to be. I think we have a solid group and there will be some real competition in camp this year. Having an actual TC/Preseason to evaluate will also be helpful for all involved as well. Someone is going to end up being the odd man out and it won't be for lack of ability. :thumbsup:

Agreed. What teams missed last year was a much bigger challenge than people make out, regardless of how ‘easy’ the transition is for RB’s. 

15 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You failed to mention the Breida pick up. Our RBs will be fine 

Indeed. He’s got the speed that all were clamoring for. 

• Like (+1) 3

I wish Beane would finally listen to me and cut Taiwan Jones and keep Antonio Williams. Make him active on game days too. He might not be the gunner Taiwan is on punt coverage. I’d like to see how he does though. He was NC’s MVP on ST his Senior year. But it would be nice to have all our active RB’s be able to run the ball on game days. Makes too much sense to me

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

You say Williams is working hard.  Can you give some specifics to show how he's working harder than either Singletary, Moss, or Breida?  Or even Wade?  I'm sure they are all working just as hard, as you said you are following Williams.

Everyone loves Williams and saying wow wait till next year.  But was all based on what he did in 2nd half against Miami in season finale when Fish were getting blown out, knew they were done for year, out of playoffs and basically just waiting to get the bus warmed up.  Maybe he really is the answer, but just as likely he's not at this point.  And the tie goes to the draft pick!

Plus is Williams all that different of a RB than Moss? Really would be surprised to see a backfield combo of he and Moss IMO.

To me the biggest question at RB is will the Bills this year decide to keep 3 RB's on the active game day roster?  They haven't done that the past couple of years, but to do that requires shorting another roster position someplace.  Maybe one of the new draftee's or someone can play a duel role of position and ST so someone like a T Jones is dropped and if Jones were dropped a more likely case would be for Wade to replace him.  But even then I think the most likely RB combo we'd see would be Singletary, Moss, and Breida.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Two more words: Practice Squad 😳

Three words: International Player Program.

And an Addendum: Got extended so that CWade can play on it an extra year. 

With Beane candidly admitting that we haven't announced our UDFA signings YET because we don't know how many spots will be available, AND that he suspects it may be less than 90, you gotta think he's going to keep Wade in the IPP another year.

48 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect all options are open right now on RB,  but you gotta admit, no one is afraid of Moss either, with our past seasons run game, 1)mediocre or 2)worse are two words that accurately describe the Bills running attack. But luckily for us our GM made it clear to all the coaches and players concerned that we will have an effective run game going forward, I think Singletary, Moss and the Miami cast off will do well this upcoming season. 

Weird to see you say no one was afraid of Moss.  "My lord, he's going to kill a man some day" was frequently uttered by our crew watching him last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

You failed to mention the Breida pick up. Our RBs will be fine 

I am expecting absolutely nothing out of Breida this year. He will be the guy every freaks out over bring a weekly inactive every week if Moss/Singletary/Jones are healthy. He's fast...sure. But that speed didn't help him make much impact in a Dolphin backfield last year that was basically bare. 

Breida played well in the Shannahan offense which is built to make RBs shine. But I just don't see him having many opportunities if the young guys are healthy. He's in the Yeldon role. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I am expecting absolutely nothing out of Breida this year. He will be the guy every freaks out over bring a weekly inactive every week if Moss/Singletary/Jones are healthy. He's fast...sure. But that speed didn't help him make much impact in a Dolphin backfield last year that was basically bare. 

Breida played well in the Shannahan offense which is built to make RBs shine. But I just don't see him having many opportunities if the young guys are healthy. He's in the Yeldon role. 

Im not saying he’s going to run for 1500 yards this year, but I’d say he’s quality depth. 

40 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You say Williams is working hard.  Can you give some specifics to show how he's working harder than either Singletary, Moss, or Breida?  Or even Wade?  I'm sure they are all working just as hard, as you said you are following Williams.

Everyone loves Williams and saying wow wait till next year.  But was all based on what he did in 2nd half against Miami in season finale when Fish were getting blown out, knew they were done for year, out of playoffs and basically just waiting to get the bus warmed up.  Maybe he really is the answer, but just as likely he's not at this point.  And the tie goes to the draft pick!

Plus is Williams all that different of a RB than Moss? Really would be surprised to see a backfield combo of he and Moss IMO.

To me the biggest question at RB is will the Bills this year decide to keep 3 RB's on the active game day roster?  They haven't done that the past couple of years, but to do that requires shorting another roster position someplace.  Maybe one of the new draftee's or someone can play a duel role of position and ST so someone like a T Jones is dropped and if Jones were dropped a more likely case would be for Wade to replace him.  But even then I think the most likely RB combo we'd see would be Singletary, Moss, and Breida.

You imagine a scenario where they would get rid of Jones, Williams and the rookie RB (and promote Wade)?  

26 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Three words: International Player Program.

And an Addendum: Got extended so that CWade can play on it an extra year. 

With Beane candidly admitting that we haven't announced our UDFA signings YET because we don't know how many spots will be available, AND that he suspects it may be less than 90, you gotta think he's going to keep Wade in the IPP another year.

This is Wade's 3rd year on the PS, no?  That's the max.  The IPP doesn't change the number of years, just allows an 11th player.

Taiwan Jones had 5 tackles last year. Seriously 5 tackles. That’s one every three or four games. And don’t forget his dropped TD pass vs the Patriots on Monday Night Football. A pass you would expect a Junior High kid catch. Why is there even a discussion about his roster spot. I can’t believe we can’t develop another backup player to be a gunner that gives your more value on game days. Such a waste of a roster spot. 😤😤😤

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I wish Beane would finally listen to me and cut Taiwan Jones and keep Antonio Williams. Make him active on game days too. He might not be the gunner Taiwan is on punt coverage. I’d like to see how he does though. He was NC’s MVP on ST his Senior year. But it would be nice to have all our active RB’s be able to run the ball on game days. Makes too much sense to me

Breida plays STs.  I see him taking Jones' place because he can actually be used on offense.  Curious to see what Williams and Wade bring.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not true.  They had 3 active every game day, with Jones being used almost exclusively on STs.  As I said above, I think Breida can/will take Jones' place.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think the success of the run game in 2021 is about the running backs.   It's about the offensive line. 

Some combination of running backs will step up.   Each of Singletary and Moss and Breida is talented enough to be a 1000-yard runner.  

The problems last season were driven primarily by the offensive line's failures.   The didn't create many nice holes to run through, and the zone blocking schemes were ineffective because they didn't get the push they needed.   The result was that the running backs had a half dozen or more plays per game where first contact as at the line of scrimmage instead of five-yards downfield.  That's 30 or more yards per game, and that's the difference between 107 yards per game, 20th in the league, and 137 yards per game, or 8th in the league.  

How many times were Singletary and Moss - and Allen, for that matter - stuffed on the line of scrimmage last season?   It's the line, not the backs.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1