R.I.P. Ben Dreith 30 yrs. AFL/NFL Referee ‘givin’ him the business’

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Ben Dreith is responsible for one of the very worst calls in league history — the personal foul called on Sugar Bear Hamilton for a late hit on Stabler on fourth down vs. the Raiders in the 1976 playoffs vs. the Pats. If he doesn’t make that bad call, the Pats get the ball back with less than a minute go, and Grogan and the Pats would have advanced to the AFC championship game. As a close Pats fan friend of mine put it years ago, the tuck rule call vs. the Raiders was “Sugar Bear payback.” Karma is a b**ch.

First of all it was only a third down play.  I asked Snake about the call when he came to Buffalo for a Jack Daniels event in Buffalo in the early 90s. He was bit embarrassed about the call but commented that he believed it was the correct call per NFL rule. He said the league had a “chicken &@$@“ (his words) rule in effect at the time of the 1976 game that made it a penalty to hit the quarterback in the head. This was a really surprising to me when I heard it from Snake himself in the early 90s because there was no apparent rule against hitting someone in the head then. I’ve been thinking about Snake’s comments over the last 5 years with all the anti-spearing rules changes. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

From Facebook:

Former Pro Football Referee Ben Dreith passed away at the age of 97.
Dreith was a former American professional football on-field official who worked from 1960 to 1969 in the American Football League (AFL) and from 1970 to 1990 in the NFL. Prior to his teaching and officiating career, he was a three-sport athlete at the University of Northern Colorado.

Dreith developed a reputation of being a no-nonsense, tough-minded official on the field. During his thirty-year career, he officiated two Super Bowls, and received a playoff assignment for twenty-eight consecutive years. 
Dreith was hired by the new AFL in 1960 and moved to the NFL in 1970, following the AFL–NFL merger. He was the referee during Super Bowl VIII and Super Bowl XV and was assigned eight conference championship games.  ....

.....  Dreith is also known among football fans for his unique explanation of a personal foul penalty during a 1986 game between the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets. After the Jets' Marty Lyons tackled Bills quarterback Jim Kelly to the ground and started to repeatedly punch him in the head, Dreith announced to the crowd: "There's a personal foul, on number 99 (Lyons actually wore 93) of the defense — after he tackled the quarterback, he's giving' him the business down there, that's a 15-yard penalty."  Dreith's call also involved an improvised hand signal of a repeated punching action. Condolences to his family and friends and may he Rest in Peace.

Sourced through wikipedia

No disrespect intended but I can't go with sad on this one. The guy lived to 97 and is fondly remembered by many. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll be replaying with my sons who have already seen it. RIP

37 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

No disrespect intended but I can't go with sad on this one. The guy lived to 97 and is fondly remembered by many. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll be replaying with my sons who have already seen it. RIP

None taken and I wasn’t intending to come across sad. Not sure how this got misconstrued. 97 is fantastic!

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

None taken and I wasn’t intending to come across sad. Not sure how this got misconstrued. 97 is fantastic!

Not on you at all  - everyone else responded sad on your OP, I went with thanks. I didn't want to come off as disrespectul to  Ben Dreith by saying thanks to you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes I overthink things.

Anyway, cheers to Ben Dreith for 97 years lived and leaving a lasting memory for many. We should all be so fortunate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not on you at all  - everyone else responded sad on your OP, I went with thanks. I didn't want to come off as disrespectul to  Ben Dreith by saying thanks to you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes I overthink things.

Anyway, cheers to Ben Dreith for 97 years lived and leaving a lasting memory for many. We should all be so fortunate.

I think it’s just that many of us oldtimers are sad to see yet another special moment and character depart. Circle of life, ‘n all. But we’re happy to have experienced him and the time! 👍