What are Texans trying to do with QBs?

Houston Texans sign Tyrod Taylor as backup on March 22 playing for his "ex QB coach" David Culley.

• Current Contract

Tyrod Taylor signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $2,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2021, Taylor will earn a base salary of $2,500,000, a signing bonus of $2,500,000 and a roster bonus of $323,529, while carrying a cap hit of $5,323,529 and a dead cap value of $2,500,000.

They also have Ryan Finley who is a 3 year QB who they traded for this year from Bengals on March 23, 2021.

Texans then sign Stanford's Davis Mills as 3rd pick and player who started for 2 years at Stanford.

If Watson is put on Commissioner's list (likely) the Texans have to pay salary for most of those players.

Texans could be hoping that someone will trade for him before he is put on Commissioner's list.

Are Texans as badly managed as when B👁️B was in charge?

It's hard enough for Bills fans to know much about the Bills' salary cap, let alone what's going on with another team.  Big picture, though, the Texans were a playoff team that was good but not competitive with the Chiefs.  Instead of trying to get better they seem to have decided to crash the roster, purging all the talented players, so they can now tank and then rebuild.  

The Sabres can show any other sport how badly that can work out.

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

It looks like they are preparing for life after the predator.

Agreed. I think they are preparing for life after Watson. Mills was a reach of a pick. I fully expect them to be sitting close to the top of the draft order next year and taking a QB. 

Just now, H2o said:

Agreed. I think they are preparing for life after Watson. Mills was a reach of a pick. I fully expect them to be sitting close to the top of the draft order next year and taking a QB. 

I think he was the best of the second tier QB's in the draft.

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think he was the best of the second tier QB's in the draft.

Hard to say. When I watch him he reminds me of Eli Manning with a lesser arm. He gets spotty with his accuracy the further the ball travels into the intermediate levels of the field. His WR's bailed him out a lot from what I saw. I think he has backup potential, but he won't be a long term starter.  

DeShawn Watson played his last play for the Texans last year. Once his legal troubles are behind him, he will playing for another team. If he's suspended for a good portion of 2021, and Tua falters in Miami, he very well could be a Dolphin  midway through the 2021 season.

Edited by gjv001
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Houston Texans sign Tyrod Taylor as backup on March 22 playing for his "ex QB coach" David Culley.

• Current Contract

Tyrod Taylor signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $2,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2021, Taylor will earn a base salary of $2,500,000, a signing bonus of $2,500,000 and a roster bonus of $323,529, while carrying a cap hit of $5,323,529 and a dead cap value of $2,500,000.

They also have Ryan Finley who is a 3 year QB who they traded for this year from Bengals on March 23, 2021.

Texans then sign Stanford's Davis Mills as 3rd pick and player who started for 2 years at Stanford.

If Watson is put on Commissioner's list (likely) the Texans have to pay salary for most of those players.

Texans could be hoping that someone will trade for him before he is put on Commissioner's list.

Are Texans as badly managed as when B👁️B was in charge?

Finley was acquired swapping a 6 for a 7 and has 850k salary... I don’t think it’s terrible to take a few swings in their situation and he’s cheap as hell to do it with. Especially at the timing he was gotten. 

even if watsons fully cleared and somehow plays for them the depth chart is Watson - a reliable cheap vet and a mid round pick with Finley cut. 

assuming no Watson they have a safe albeit boring starter and two very long shot prospects for a combined 7m in cap hit, roughly. 

it’s uncharted territory to have a franchise qb that was already pushing a trade end up in legal issues- I can’t say they are a train wreck in how they approached the personnel side so far. 

Edited by NoSaint

Everyone is picking Houston as the worst team & the favorite for the #1 pick, but as we've seen here, Tyrod is just good enough to win enough games to keep them from getting the #1 pick.  When Tyrod was here I used to call him a "Wheel Spinner" because he wasn't good enough to get you anywhere in the playoffs, but could keep you from being bad enough to get a top draft choice.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Everyone is picking Houston as the worst team & the favorite for the #1 pick, but as we've seen here, Tyrod is just good enough to win enough games to keep them from getting the #1 pick.  When Tyrod was here I used to call him a "Wheel Spinner" because he wasn't good enough to get you anywhere in the playoffs, but could keep you from being bad enough to get a top draft choice.  

Yea but top to bottom their other 52 players are worse right now than ours were around him 

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea but top to bottom their other 52 players are worse right now than ours were around him 

He won about half his starts with the Bills.  All he has to do is win 1/4 of his Houston starts & if he starts the whole season that will be enough to keep them from the #1 pick.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He won about half his starts with the Bills.  All he has to do is win 1/4 of his Houston starts & if he starts the whole season that will be enough to keep them from the #1 pick.

It depends if head coach follow Brian Flores/s model of developing QB.