How Cheap Are You?

Chef Jim

I’m a value shopper.  I like nice stuff but will get it from outlet malls, clearance racks, whatever.  F paying full price.  And I despise the high end designer label stuff that is about showing off the badge and not about actual quality of product.  Not that some expensive stuff isn’t worth it, but most is just people saying “look how much I paid for this”.  Gross.

As for good wine, give me the $10 bottle that drinks like a $30 bottle or the $20 bottle that drinks like a $50 bottle.  I find the good/great values and stick with them.  They often don’t last, but the hunt is part of the fun. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m a value shopper.  I like nice stuff but will get it from outlet malls, clearance racks, whatever.  F paying full price.  And I despise the high end designer label stuff that is about showing off the badge and not about actual quality of product.  Not that some expensive stuff isn’t worth it, but most is just people saying “look how much I paid for this”.  Gross.

As for good wine, give me the $10 bottle that drinks like a $30 bottle or the $20 bottle that drinks like a $50 bottle.  I find the good/great values and stick with them.  They often don’t last, but the hunt is part of the fun. 

So, you remove the badges, labels, etc... from your outlet mall, clearance racks, whatever purchases?  I know you wouldn't want people thinking you paid full price?😜

Wow!  NOW THAT'S cheap! 

😉

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So, you remove the badges, labels, etc... from your outlet mall, clearance racks, whatever purchases?  I know you wouldn't want people thinking you paid full price?😜

Wow!  NOW THAT'S cheap! 

😉

No.  When did I say that?  Labels are only meaningful to me when I know they actually denote quality or value. I’m not going to pay extra for a badge or designer label.  But if there’s something well made from a premium brand and I want, then it I’ll try to find the best price on it.  Sometimes if I really want something I pay full price, but not if I don’t have to. 

Is drinking PBR cans for $2 at the local dive bar cheap? Count me in. 

@plenzmd1

@mead107

@Augie

I tip heavy for anything, I will never skimp on tips whatsoever. I've done service work and currently do Uber as a second gig. Getting a tip is just the best, even if it's a dollar. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

as for good wine, give me the $10 bottle that drinks like a $30 bottle or the $20 bottle that drinks like a $50 bottle.  I find the good/great values and stick with them.  They often don’t last, but the hunt is part of the fun. 

Try these for $7.99: https://www.darkhorsewine.com/wines

It's the only wine I drink these days (and I'm in the business, but "divorce-poor.")

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

@plenzmd1

@mead107

@Augie

I tip heavy for anything, I will never skimp on tips whatsoever. I've done service work and currently do Uber as a second gig. Getting a tip is just the best, even if it's a dollar. 

It's the only wine I drink these days (and I'm in the business, but "divorce-poor.")

Thanks.  I’ll give them a try.  And I agree on tipping.  Servers work hard and should get paid well if they do a good job. 

I get stuff from Cameron Hughes regularly.  For those who are not familiar, they buy extra grape juice from vintners and bottle it under their own label.  They have a huge selection and much of it is very good and can be had at below market prices.  

https://chwine.com

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

@plenzmd1

@mead107

@Augie

Nothing wrong with a $2 PBR and don’t you let anyone tell you there is!

I’ve always been what I think is a decent tipper, but once I started going out after the the Covid shutdown I made a HUGE point of tipped very well, even extravagantly at times. When they ask “are you sure?” you’re leaving a good tip. I would answer “I haven’t spent any money in months, and you haven’t made any money in months. It’s time to catch up!” 

Uber got sketchy as far as giving me the option to tip on the site, so I tried to tip in cash when I had appropriate amounts. (Remember cash?) Lately the fares are so high and drivers are so scarce I don’t dare use Uber. Last time a got a ride to a place to meet a buddy for drinks I needed up walking home about 4 miles. No drivers available, which is pretty common these days when I check. I’m told the driver the 8 minute ride used to cost $7-8, but I was quoted $19-34 and STILL couldn’t get a ride home. Enjoy those high fares while you can! 

Edited by Augie

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nothing wrong with a $2 PBA and don’t you let anyone tell you there is!

I’ve always been what I think is a decent tipper, but once I started going out after the the Covid shutdown I made a HUGE point of tipped very well, even extravagantly at times. When they ask “are you sure?” you’re leaving a good tip. I would answer “I haven’t spent any money in months, and you haven’t made any money in months. It’s time to catch up!” 

Uber got sketchy as far as giving me the option to tip on the site, so I tried to tip in cash when I had appropriate amounts. (Remember cash?) Lately the fares are so high and drivers are so scarce I don’t dare use Uber. Last time a got a ride to a place to meet a buddy for drinks I needed up walking home about 4 miles. No drivers available, which is pretty common these days when I check. I’m told the driver the 8 minute ride used to cost $7-8, but I was quoted $19-34 and STILL couldn’t get a ride home. Enjoy those high fares while you can! 

$2 for a Pro Bowlers Association...membership? You getting looney in your old age?

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

$2 for a Pro Bowlers Association...membership? You getting looney in your old age?

Bowling is the Sport of Kings! It’s a Royalty thing you wouldn’t know anything about. It comes in right behind Polo and just ahead of badminton. Croquet and chess with life size pieces round out the top 5. It’s not for common old folk like you who just torment young ladies at yoga by needlessly abandoning your clothing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Way back when I bought my used Ford Ranger (1998 model, bought in 2000) I wanted to get a cap for the back.  Since it was a flare side, I had to go with a fiberglass cap.  All the places in my area wanted about $1,000-$1,200.  I decided to see if I could find one cheaper online.  Calling around different places, and ended up talking to a place in Hazleton PA.  The guy quotes me about the same price everyone else has, then asks if I care about what color it is.  I said as long as it's not a horrible I don't.  (My Ranger was that dark green color)  He says he has one in red that has a factory defect, something about the paint, that he can let me have for,  (pause for dramatic effect) $600.  I said I'll definitely come down and take a look at it.  But of course I knew I couldn't pass it up.  Get there and we looked this cap all over and could not see anything defects in the paint. He still let me have it for $600 plus installation.  

TLDR - I drove 3 hours each way to save $600.  

Edited by Just Jack

On 5/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what I thought everyone was already talking about doing.

Although, I'm almost positive there is a valve in the handle/nozzle that prevents any gas from actually coming out when doing this.

I would have thought the valve is in the handle, so raising the hose did nothing,  but when in doubt, google.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump.htm

The video on the auto shutoff is really good,

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't do this any more, but when I was an intern my grocery bill for the entire week was $25 bucks

Rice and chickpeas and a type of green veggie was my dinner for almost a year. PB and J for lunch. I remember once I went out and spent 10 bucks on a burger and was worried for a week I'd have enough money for the week

pay your interns folks

I'm surprised that the pay is so low, as I had no idea who is making what in a hospital.  I assume you were an intern in a hospital. 

What I have never understood is the hours they make you work. You know if I am in need of care, I definitely want someone in training who is usually dead tired working on me.  Why beat the hell out of you?  I would have thought hospitals would not do this based on liability.

I am super cheap.

I'm so cheap I am still wearing the same pair of Ferragamo's five years later.  Had them reconditioned rather than buy a new pair.

Grilled some king crab legs this weekend and literally scraped the shells clean. Can't let a single morsel of meat go to waste. Crab legs don't grow on trees ya know.

7 minutes ago, major said:

My wife once told me she wanted a coke and a candy bar from the store. I said you can have one or the other, but not both. Still haven’t lived that down 

This reminds me of my next door neighbor who told his wife “you can have anything you want, you just can’t have everything you want.”

On 5/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, Augie said:

This reminds me of my next door neighbor who told his wife “you can have anything you want, you just can’t have everything you want.”

...as he puts the lock on the fridge after her weekly weigh-in.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.