How Cheap Are You?

Chef Jim

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

In Atlanta they are.  Which is why everyone is moving here.

I can't come up with a non-political response to this, so you win.  This time.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I had a friend and coworker move in with me because his building was making him sick, filled with mold.

Sometimes at night we would see each other and get a look "Frostie" and would drive out to get one.

He has moved to WV where he could afford to get his own house and that Wendy's has closed down.

I am white and I would get chocolate and he is black and would get vanilla.

This is very romantic.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I stopped eating at Wendy's when they took small frostie off dollar menu.  Dave would have been ashamed.

back in the day, I worked at Wendy’s. Those were the glory years. Biggie Fries, Biggie drinks, JBC’s, medium frosties— all on their glorious $.99 menu. 

now you go there, and all that stuff costs like $3 a pop. 

Those two AAA batteries that started this whole conversation?  I'm taking two from the office and taking them home to restock the ones I had to use from there.

Now THAT'S ***** cheap! 

Edited by Chef Jim

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what I thought everyone was already talking about doing.

Although, I'm almost positive there is a valve in the handle/nozzle that prevents any gas from actually coming out when doing this.

I think they have it like that now with the valve but back when a couple of guys I knew who rode motorcycles used to drive around to closed for the day gas stations and fill their tanks with the residue gas left in the hoses. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

back in the day, I worked at Wendy’s. Those were the glory years. Biggie Fries, Biggie drinks, JBC’s, medium frosties— all on their glorious $.99 menu. 

now you go there, and all that stuff costs like $3 a pop. 

I used to travel for work and on one contract I'd get a fixed amount each day as long as I had receipts (credit card statement showing amount was enough) and I asked since I was working 12 hour shifts could I buy food at Trader Joes since it was near work and I did not have much time going out for lunch and dinner.  It was approved.  I'd go to Traders Joe many days and get a bag of food, top it off with a gift card and after work go to Wendy's for a salad at mini all you could eat salad bar and frostie.   

Had one manager make a comment to someone else I was "a health food nut" which is why I did not go to restaurant at this greasy soon they hung out at after work.  We were working 4 days on, 3 days off,  4 days off, 3 days on.  I frankly was too tired on work days and on days off I'd check out of hotel and go to 1 or 2 hotels on my day off.  Hilton had a bonus for each check in and the other hotels had things like free spa, whirlpool tubs, etc but not near work.  I also went to Bills game in Arizona using company car.  My family also flew in on days off and we went to a number of hotels along California coast. By end of my trip I had enough hotel points for a week in Puerto Rico, miles for a free rental car and enough gift cards to pay for all meals except the restaurants we wanted to go to.

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I used to travel for work and on one contract I'd get a fixed amount each day as long as I had receipts (credit card statement showing amount was enough) and I asked since I was working 12 hour shifts could I buy food at Trader Joes since it was near work and I did not have much time going out for lunch and dinner.  It was approved.  I'd go to Traders Joe many days and get a bag of food, top it off with a gift card and after work go to Wendy's for a salad at mini all you could eat salad bar and frostie.   

Had one manager make a comment to someone else I was "a health food nut" which is why I did not go to restaurant at this greasy soon they hung out at after work.  We were working 4 days on, 3 days off,  4 days off, 3 days on.  I frankly was too tired on work days and on days off I'd check out of hotel and go to 1 or 2 hotels on my day off.  Hilton had a bonus for each check in and the other hotels had things like free spa, whirlpool tubs, etc but not near work.  I also went to Bills game in Arizona using company car.  My family also flew in on days off and we went to a number of hotels along California coast. By end of my trip I had enough hotel points for a week in Puerto Rico, miles for a free rental car and enough gift cards to pay for all meals except the restaurants we wanted to go to.

lol... I genuinely laughed.

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Those two AAA batteries that started this whole conversation?  I'm taking two from the office and taking them home to restock the ones I had to use from there.

Now THAT'S ***** cheap! 

Yall dont have expense accounts in that fancy-schmancy office?

We've been given carte blanche on any purchase under $20 for home office use during all this. No questions asked. Anything above that requires the usual approval/receipts.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We've been given carte blanche on any purchase under $20 for home office use during all this. No questions asked. Anything above that requires the usual approval/receipts.

I only work from home on Friday and that is recent. 

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I get logins for Netflix from my cousin Greg. 

My wife's family is like that.  We have Disney+ from one of her sisters,  Hulu from her coworker, and we are sharing our CBS/Paramount+ with another sister.  

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

My wife's family is like that.  We have Disney+ from one of her sisters,  Hulu from her coworker, and we are sharing our CBS/Paramount+ with another sister.  

Well you could get a burger with the bacon on the side, after looking at the price of the side of just bacon and comparing it to the difference in the cheeseburger vs. the bacon cheeseburger. 

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what I thought everyone was already talking about doing.

Although, I'm almost positive there is a valve in the handle/nozzle that prevents any gas from actually coming out when doing this.

It's the all-in-one on/off switch that most modern fuel pumps utilize nowadays.  You know the ones that turn the pump on or off by either unhooking handle or hanging pump handle up. The earlier pumps you had to flip the lever up or down after unhooking handle or hanging it up to turn on/off.

That being said... It was easier to get the residual fuel out of the line Yeats ago.  Just flip switch down and squeeze handle.  It will click and go "free."  Now, you have to reach your hand up into holder to shut pump off and then squeeze the rest out of the hose.

I think they did that for convenience and you're suppose to save the residual few for the next guy...  😉

Oh... And also don't buy your fuel during the hottest part of day during summer AND avoid gas stations that don't have an awning overhead... It's not just for rain.   You'll get cheated if if you pump in the heat! 😏

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I don't do this any more, but when I was an intern my grocery bill for the entire week was $25 bucks

Rice and chickpeas and a type of green veggie was my dinner for almost a year. PB and J for lunch. I remember once I went out and spent 10 bucks on a burger and was worried for a week I'd have enough money for the week

pay your interns folks

• Like (+1) 3

Not so much being cheap, but snagging a bargain when I saw it.  I was at Target years ago, looking at the clearance sporting goods stuff when I saw a two burner camp stove.  Typically these go for $30-$40, this was marked $15.  Already a good deal.  Took it over to one of those price checkers, and it showed as selling for $7.50!  Score!  I think someone tried to hide it to buy it later based on where it was when I found it.  Their loss is my gain.  

On 5/10/2021 at 9:24 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

You are expensing toilet paper, aren’t you? 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't do this any more, but when I was an intern my grocery bill for the entire week was $25 bucks

Rice and chickpeas and a type of green veggie was my dinner for almost a year. PB and J for lunch. I remember once I went out and spent 10 bucks on a burger and was worried for a week I'd have enough money for the week

pay your interns folks

I hear ya! When I met my wife she had two roommates living in a Hilton Head, SC condo. My wife worked at a bank and ate tomato sandwiches for weeks at a time to pay the rent. The roommates were a bartender and a server and they brought home like $400 a night in season. We could only dream of that kind of money, but focused on the future. When we were dating she bought me a Molson at a sports bar watching Doug Flutie throw the Hail Mary vs Miami and it was meaningful in many ways. It was one of our first dates, and I remember it decades later. 

That was long ago, and the bartender is still a bartender, and a thief.  Absolutely nothing wrong with tending bar or any other productive living, but she stole a ring given to my wife by her parents for HS graduation. After it went “missing” we went into Ruby Tuesdays for our Friday night sampler platter, and we saw it on the bartender’s hand. Ruby, diamond, ruby pattern. THAT was the ring. 

Being rich or poor is far less important than whether you are a good person....or not.  Yep, still bothers me. 

When our son was born I had a jeweler/client make her a replica to give to her as a gift. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.