How Cheap Are You?

Chef Jim

Instead of buying reusable bags for like $1 each, I loaded up on the target canvas bags they were using for pick up orders for five cents each.

I, too, refuse to pay for food delivery.  The one exception I had $25 off your first Uber Eats order, had to order at least $25 worth of food.  Food total came to like $25.91 so the coupon took that to $0.91.  Well after delivery fee and tip I ended up paying $15.  Go ***** figure.  And I still had to walk halfway around the block to pick it up from @teef's porch.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t do tea, but I’d pay more than $20/year to not have used tea bags hanging around. We live well within our means, but are not terribly “cheap” or frugal. I am, however, VERY anti-clutter! Having used tea bags around would bother me.  🤷‍♂️

I do it at work, and just leave the bag in my mug.

18 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m so cheap, I refuse to pay for a new pool, or even join a club. Instead, I’ve been sneaking into @Chef Jim’s after they go to bed and when they are away. It’s true, he went first class!!!

We’re always gone but our guests might have a problem.  Here’s a tip.  Check out the calendar on AirBnB.  You’ll see when it’s unoccupied. Just remember to turn the spa off when you’re done. 😁

17 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Buy shoes, shirts, shorts, pants and jackets constantly, though I'm retired and they sit never worn mostly.

But new underwear and t-shirts, never.

You might want to consider reversing that.  Now I don’t mean don’t wear the underwear just buy them constantly. 

23 hours ago, Logic said:

I splurge on four things in life:

Mattresses (you sleep on them every night, and sleep is invaluable), shoes (if you cheap out, you'll just be back at the shoe store two months later), food, and wine.

Everything else....I'm a giant cheapskate.

I'm told that several blind taste tests that had oenophiles testing cheap vs. expensive wines, had them giving some of the best ratings to the cheaper stuff.

I myself would like the opportunity to personally investigate my abilities in that regard, but I'm too cheap.

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2019/07/can-professional-wine-connoisseurs-really-not-tell-the-difference-between-expensive-wines-and-cheap-wines/

When I used to travel for work hotels which were under per diem were often not near location where I worked.

I used to drive in from 20 miles out so I did not need to pay $5/day out of pocket for hotel since gas was paid for on rental car.

Hotels used to charge $10+ a day for internet so I'd drive in nice neighborhoods to use unsecured WIFI for free.

And the reason for all of this?  My company was too cheap to get a competent person on contracts to ensure per diem paid by client was automatically raised when local site pre diem was raised! 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

When I used to travel for work hotels which were under per diem were often not near location where I worked.

I used to drive in from 20 miles out so I did not need to pay $5/day out of pocket for hotel since gas was paid for on rental car.

Hotels used to charge $10+ a day for internet so I'd drive in nice neighborhoods to use unsecured WIFI for free.

And the reason for all of this?  My company was too cheap to get a competent person on contracts to ensure per diem paid by client was automatically raised when local site pre diem was raised! 

Yeah, that is cheepnis right there.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm told that several blind taste tests that had oenophiles testing cheap vs. expensive wines, had them giving some of the best ratings to the cheaper stuff.

I myself would like the opportunity to personally investigate my abilities in that regard, but I'm too cheap.

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2019/07/can-professional-wine-connoisseurs-really-not-tell-the-difference-between-expensive-wines-and-cheap-wines/

When my entire family would gather in Florida, we would do an extensive and elaborate blind taste testing using cheap, medium and some rather expensive wine. They will tell you it was all in the name of education and science. I’m honest enough to say I just enjoyed drinking lots of wine with some nice snacks! :) 

An old buddy used to look after his elderly neighbor across the street. This earned him an invitation to a very nice restaurant where the old guy had his 80th B-Day party. (No offense to any octogenarians here.)  The B-Day boy had a very successful son who brought two bottles on wine born the same year dad was, two 80 year old bottles of wine that cost $10k each. Seriously. As my buddy said, that’s just %$#& you money. Anyway, with 20 people there everybody got a tiny sip of wine for $20k. He said it was nice, but the regular wine the restaurant was serving was just as nice.

The son will not be posting here to tell us how cheap he is. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They should have put you in charge of catching the cheapskates. Takes one to know one, and you sound like a natural for the position!  :)

You know how you throw out pennies because they're useless clutter?

A few days ago I tossed a couple nickels out the truck window and wondered if that was going to become a norm going forward.

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

They should have put you in charge of catching the cheapskates. Takes one to know one, and you sound like a natural for the position!  :)

I have changed due to health issues. 

I used to make trip requiring told road but the way it is set up here if you skip main gate you end up paying half the fare so I'd get off before exit before toll booth, take local road and enter toll road just past toll booth which is free and only pay exit fee.  

If I am staying overnight on road I will stay at hotel near exit even if driving 5 miles will take me to hotel less expensive further from exit.  

Another story:

Was working in Canada and did not have rental car and was working at National Defence Headquarters (Pearkes Building) in Ottawa.

I asked person working outside hotel where to get taxi and he told me depends on where you are going so I told him.

He said forget taxi, walk across street and take express bus and it would drop you off in less than 5 minutes there. Taxi will take three times as long so I did so.

When I faxed in my expenses to work I was told my bus fare was excluded since receipts were not included (bus did not give them).

Next day I took taxi and driver told me had trick to getting there fast and got there almost as fast as bus.

I commented when tipping about yesterday and hotel and not getting paid for bus and he gave me stack of taxi receipts.

"Call me whenever you need me but if you need a receipt just fill one in for bus" and gave me the charge usually gave me that trip.

I ended up using him a lot and got paid for bus trips I took as well.

42 minutes ago, Simon said:

A few days ago I tossed a couple nickels out the truck window and wondered if that was going to become a norm going forward.

You will regret being cheap if you get stopped for littering (have seen it happen).

You could have used all those coins to pay for the fine!

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You will regret being cheap if you get stopped for littering (have seen it happen).

You could have used all those coins to pay for the fine!

I toss them out onto a sidewalk near a store entrance for kids to find.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I take all my pennies nickels dimes and quarters and invest them into the stock market 

I would never throw away a nickel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.