Best pizza in Rochester? (Help a guy out)

Logic

Alright Rochestarians, I need pizza help.

I grew up in Rochester, eating Pontillo's, Cam's, Salvatore's mostly. Haven't lived there in 16 years.

I'm going home to visit the family in a month or so, and I'm sure a lot has changed in the pizza landscape over the years. Family always has their own preferences, but I'm not so sure I trust their tastebuds, those uncultured rubes.

So I want to hear from you, pizza enthusiasts of Rochester: who in your opinion is slingin the best slices in Rochester these days?

I moved out of Rochester 5 years ago but:

Nino's foccaccia/sicilian style were very good and I hear they still are

Chester Cab chicago stuffed was great but i hear they may have gone down hill

Pizza Stop - by far the best NYC style slices in the city. The owner has been politically outspoken and I think that has clouded people's opinions.

Brooklyn Joes - solid slice shop, related owners to Pizza Stop if I recall correctly

Fiamma is good Neapolitan 

Pizza Wizard looks phenomenal.  Detroit style pies.  I have not tried it.

Every Pontillo's is different.  Some are radically different than others.  Bushnell's Basin was the best Pontillo's I have had.

Columbini's was great when we lived on the west side. Haven't tried it in years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

J & L’s pizza in Fairport is the best, you’re welcome

have a story about this place. Used to go here as a kid. One day my mom came in with me to pick up the pizza and I tripped on my way in (back in the day, there was a huge step on the way in). And I fell down and hurt my leg and was crying. I think I was 5 years old. And the employees there (according to my mom) were all rude and put out by it. I faintly remember it. So she was basically done with them. We never went back. She would mention that every time we went by there. That must have been in like 1983! 

we used to instead go to a place up the road on route 31 called Perinton Pizza mostly. It was just okay. I am guessing it is no longer there. Been over 20 years since i moved out of the area. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

have a story about this place. Used to go here as a kid. One day my mom came in with me to pick up the pizza and I tripped on my way in (back in the day, there was a huge step on the way in). And I fell down and hurt my leg and was crying. I think I was 5 years old. And the employees there (according to my mom) were all rude and put out by it. I faintly remember it. So she was basically done with them. We never went back. She would mention that every time we went by there. That must have been in like 1983! 

we used to instead go to a place up the road on route 31 called Perinton Pizza mostly. It was just okay. I am guessing it is no longer there. Been over 20 years since i moved out of the area. 

I grew up off Mason rd so I know exactly where perinton pizza was! J & Ls is a family owned shop that never branched out. One of their employees who learned from them went on to start his own (Guidas), and said he would never put one in Fairport as to compete against them.

I know that step you are talking about too, it is now the employee entrance. They bought the space to the left of them (there is still one other shop there) and made it into a dining type area.

Youre mom should have told the owners, they are nice people

Edit: Also Perinton Pizza used to be at the end of mason and 31 right there, now it’s a marks pizza and marks corporate office is there as well. Perinton Pizza is now a little further down 31 there in the plaza with the Firestone. They were like one of the first places to deliver garbage plates

Edited by Bray Wyatt

25 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I grew up off Mason rd so I know exactly where perinton pizza was! J & Ls is a family owned shop that never branched out. One of their employees who learned from them went on to start his own (Guidas), and said he would never put one in Fairport as to compete against them.

I know that step you are talking about too, it is now the employee entrance. They bought the space to the left of them (there is still one other shop there) and made it into a dining type area.

Youre mom should have told the owners, they are nice people

Edit: Also Perinton Pizza used to be at the end of mason and 31 right there, now it’s a marks pizza and marks corporate office is there as well. Perinton Pizza is now a little further down 31 there in the plaza with the Firestone. They were like one of the first places to deliver garbage plates

small world! Thanks for the update! I grew up off Ayrault and it has been 20 years since I have been back there. I was thinking of making an upstate NY trip this summer to check out the area and show my kids where I grew up. Maybe we will give J&L another chance now that 38 years have passed since I tripped— haha. 

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

small world! Thanks for the update! I grew up off Ayrault and it has been 20 years since I have been back there. I was thinking of making an upstate NY trip this summer to check out the area and show my kids where I grew up. Maybe we will give J&L another chance now that 38 years have passed since I tripped— haha. 

I moved out of the area a year ago and still haven’t found a pizza place here in TN that compares. And most don’t even offer blue cheese

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 9:35 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

J & L’s pizza in Fairport is the best, you’re welcome

Gross. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On 5/8/2021 at 12:52 PM, Lofton80 said:

Pontillos is still very good. I favor TK's in Fairport, simply the best. A lot of brick over places have opened over the years. Fiamma is very good but pricey. Tony D's downtown is excellent.  

I currently live off of Ayrault.  Been in Fairport 40 years.  I wouldn’t choose any other place to live outside of a beach.  TKs is dope but good luck gettin a hold of them and make sure you bring cash, no credit cards still. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Gross. 

I currently live off of Ayrault.  Been in Fairport 40 years.  I wouldn’t choose any other place to live outside of a beach.  TKs is dope but good luck gettin a hold of them and make sure you bring cash, no credit cards still. 

This got me thinking back to when I was growing up. I used to love going to Arrivederci’s in Fairport. Got their pizza occasionally, but mostly got their subs— and loved them. Just looked them up, and looks like they closed!! 

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This got me thinking back to when I was growing up. I used to love going to Arrivederci’s in Fairport. Got their pizza occasionally, but mostly got their subs— and loved them. Just looked them up, and looks like they closed!! 

Turned into Salvatore’s.  Fairport is just nutty with pizza shops.  TKs, Pizza Chef, Pontillo’s, Perinton Pizza, Mark’s, J&Ls, Bay & Goodman, Brooklyn Joe’s and about 1/2 dozen others.  Just crazy.  Everyone has their favorite.  Arrividerci’s was awesome for the village rats.  Go there on our BMX bikes all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

This makes me think about a pizza shop in Penfield that was on 5 Mile Line Rd., not far from the corner of Penfield Road.  Back some 40 years ago.

I couldn't tell you how good the pizza was because it was a long time ago, I was a kid and it's moot since it's no longer there.  I just wanted to remember the name.  We mostly ate at Pizza Hut or a place called Pizza Kitchens (which was great, until it closed).

Edited by Doc

On 5/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, Irv said:

Pontillos is still the best

One of them “retired” to Sarasota, FL and opened a place that was MY go-to when we lived there. Had photos of all the northern locations on the wall, most showing snow on the lot.  (It was in Gulf Gate for the locals.) Not only the best pizza around, but they knew how to do a simple thing like wings right. Hope he fully retired on his own terms because it’s no longer there. Sorely missed! 

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

This makes me think about a pizza shop in Penfield that was on 5 Mile Line Rd., not far from the corner of Penfield Road.  Back some 40 years ago.

I couldn't tell you how good the pizza was because it was a long time ago, I was a kid and it's moot since it's no longer there.  I just wanted to remember the name.  We mostly ate at Pizza Hut or a place called Pizza Kitchens (which was great, until it closed).

not to derail this pizza thread, but last time I was in Rochester was around 2016. I was surprised at how different that whole Penfield Four Corners was. I went down there to try to find my

favorite Chinese restaurant, kam wah (now closed)— and there were a bunch of hipster-type restaurants peppered around there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.