Cardinals still showing the “Hail Murray”

I don’t really see why it’s an issue that a team trying to turn their season around from the past makes an incredible very lucky play and not celebrate it.

it just comes across petty on our part. We legitimately beat them with that Diggs play and they pulled one out.  It didn’t stop us from getting to the championship game.  Even if we won, we still would’ve not been the #1 seed.  Nothing would’ve been different.

hey they had a fun win against a great

team and we still faced the chiefs on the big game before the SB.

if anything it’s a compliment that they think we are that good that it’s a big promo for them.

I would’ve loved 14-2, but we still were the #2 seed.  Now let’s repeat and go to it again.  The chiefs lost their first championship game to the cheats.  Then they made it twice.  We have two chances including the playoffs to beat these guys.

Make it so!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

Ok... but I think "Bills Mafia" is at the inflection point of transitioning for "lovable losers/great fans" to being insufferable...almost like Red Sox fans after they won a World Series.  

It was an amazing play by Hopkins, not a bad play by the Bills.  Maybe the best play of an entire NFL season.  It is worth celebrating for them.... I don't think celebrating it is them rubbing it in our face.

Our fan base is getting a little cocky.  We haven't won anything yet either... but you know that.  Are the Cardinals all of the sudden one our biggest rivals? 

💯 

someone actually said that the Browns can’t be better than us until they beat us twice... lol

It's not a slap in the face of the Bills. It's a bottom dweller trying to market hope to their fanbase.

The catch was incredible, probably Hopkins' career signature catch. The way Murray had to contort to get the ball in the general vicinity of Hopkins was very impressive, too. The fact that the ball ended up in the perfect spot was pure serendipity. Two inches higher or lower, and that's the ballgame.

I was down trodden about it at the time. But the fact that it galvanized the team for a dominant stretch run has softened the blow quite a bit since then.

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

It's not a slap in the face of the Bills. It's a bottom dweller trying to market hope to their fanbase.

The catch was incredible, probably Hopkins' career signature catch. The way Murray had to contort to get the ball in the general vicinity of Hopkins was very impressive, too. The fact that the ball ended up in the perfect spot was pure serendipity. Two inches higher or lower, and that's the ballgame.

I was down trodden about it at the time. But the fact that it galvanized the team for a dominant stretch run has softened the blow quite a bit since then.

If Poyer doesn't go all Leroy Jenkins and clear out TreDavious I think theres a good chance he rips the ball out.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah that was one of Allen's worse games. He played well at the end but he had two picks and KM was running all over us

It was a weird game.

Josh Allen had a tough day. Interestingly enough, the Bills defense made several key stops in the 4th quarter to keep giving the Bills a chance.

The Cardinals had chances to put the game out of reach in the 4th quarter, but they got stopped on a couple crucial 3rd downs. I remember Micah Hyde making a big stop.

Then that last offensive drive in the waning minutes. Beasley with that ridiculous catch that was 5 feet over his head, then of course that gaudy touchdown pass to Diggs. Allen stepped up on that drive and delivered. Tough way to lose, but the Bills never lost another regular season game after that.

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Yesterday on Twitter, the Arizona Cardinals posted the infamous “Hail Murray” photo on their Twitter feed. I think it’s funny, for a team that’s been in the NFL since 1920, been in three different cities [Chicago, St. Louis, Glendale] and has only won two championships in their 101 year history (last in 1947), I can see why the Cardinals keep showing this play as the Cardinals have absolutely nothing to show for. What a joke of a franchise! They’re the retirement home of the NFL.

Since they were the St Louis Cardinals when I moved to St Louis (I never converted, not to the Rams either even during Greatest show on turf):  On behalf of my adopted home town I must officially say "Ouch".    OTOH, I must point out that they did play in a Superbowl in 2008 and play in a conference championship in 2015, both (until last season) more recent than our Bills did either of those things so perhaps we shouldn't yap too much about that "joke of a franchise" thing just yet.

Shnowman already called it in the Player's Tribune.  They were celebrating like they'd just won the Superbowl.  Well, that's great.  They beat us on a last minute fluke play, but they got the W, it counts.

The Bills went on to win out the season, win two playoff games, and play in the AFCCG.

The Cards went on to go 2-5, finish 8-8, and spend Playoff season sitting on the sofa and watching "Hail Murray" reruns.

I'll take our finish.  Let them tweet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

aren't we all...why does this matter?

Because we aren't pro athletes. Us getting older doesn't effect our company. 

If Arizona wants to celebrate the play forever, that's great, Hopkins shelf life as an elite WR is ticking, so go on ahead and keep memorializing it. 

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since they were the St Louis Cardinals when I moved to St Louis (I never converted, not to the Rams either even during Greatest show on turf):  On behalf of my adopted home town I must officially say "Ouch".    OTOH, I must point out that they did play in a Superbowl in 2008 and play in a conference championship in 2015, both (until last season) more recent than our Bills did either of those things so perhaps we shouldn't yap too much about that "joke of a franchise" thing just yet.

Shnowman already called it in the Player's Tribune.  They were celebrating like they'd just won the Superbowl.  Well, that's great.  They beat us on a last minute fluke play, but they got the W, it counts.

The Bills went on to win out the season, win two playoff games, and play in the AFCCG.

The Cards went on to go 2-5, finish 8-8, and spend Playoff season sitting on the sofa and watching "Hail Murray" reruns.

I'll take our finish.  Let them tweet.

I got to spend a day in St. Louis back in 1996, because my flight to Japan was delayed for 24 hours. I went to the arch and the surrounding area and would love to go back. I have no knocks against St. Louis, just the Cardinals for continually showing the play on social media for the past six months, along with Kyler Murray trademarking the name of the play and Hopkins running his mouth afterwards. The Cardinals act like they won the Superbowl with that play, but finished the season 8-8 (I think they only won two games after the Bills game) and missed the playoffs. In the history of the Cardinals franchise, their accomplishments are very few and far between, so for them to continually embellish the “Hail Murray” six months later and try to rub it in the Bills faces is insulting to the Bills (and fans) and embarrassing on their part.

Why I mentioned the three cities the Cardinals played in [Chicago, St. Louis, Glendale] was not to insult those cities, but to point out that the team has been bad throughout its history which is why they had relocate as many times as they did. Say what you want about the Bills and their win/loss records over the years, the fan base has been very loyal and the team hasn’t move since it’s inception.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

6 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Yesterday on Twitter, the Arizona Cardinals posted the infamous “Hail Murray” photo on their Twitter feed. I think it’s funny, for a team that’s been in the NFL since 1920, been in three different cities [Chicago, St. Louis, Glendale] and has only won two championships in their 101 year history (last in 1947), I can see why the Cardinals keep showing this play as the Cardinals have absolutely nothing to show for. What a joke of a franchise! They’re the retirement home of the NFL.

Maybe they should be showing clips from them in the 2020 NFC championship game.

Oh wait, that’s clips of us but in the 2020 AFC championship game.

It was an amazing play though.

Edited by BillsFan619

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

It’s because the Cardinals keep poking at the Bills and haven’t stopped since the play happened. I never saw any Bills player at any high/low point in team history try and trademark a play like Murray has. 

You didn't see Stevie Johnson flash Why so serious? 

Buffalo trademarked No Goal. 

Let them have their fun. It was a great play. We have a 101 yard INT TD to celebrate. We as fans don't need to knock down others to have fun. And we especially need to remember our history of ineptitude before criticizing others.

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You didn't see Stevie Johnson flash Why so serious? 

Buffalo trademarked No Goal. 

Let them have their fun. It was a great play. We have a 101 yard INT TD to celebrate. We as fans don't need to knock down others to have fun. And we especially need to remember our history of ineptitude before criticizing others.

That’s an apples and oranges comparison. Stevie Johnson was always about having fun and not rubbing stuff into other players. The “No Goal” had to do with a controversial call in a championship game, Vice a play made in the regular season.

You said we need to remember our history of ineptitude before we criticize others, I think that statement should be pointed directly at the Cardinals and how they continually embellish their “Hail Murray” play. I was fine with the play once it happened as it was an incredible, highlight reel play, and knew the Cardinals we’re going to celebrate it for a little while after the game.  But it’s been over six months and the Cardinals are still showing it on social media (posted it yesterday on Twitter), so they deserve to be called out on it, Especially with some of their fans on Twitter with comments like “how about them four Superbowls...” Well, that’s three more Superbowl appearances than the Cardinals.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Are we offended by this or something?

It appears that many of the folks in here are for some reason.

That throw/catch was one of the top plays in the league last year, so let's all try our best to not get all butt hurt over them tweeting out a picture. 

It's as if many of our users forget that they got excited over random plays throughout our 20 years of utter suckage.