Top 10 games of the 2021 NFL season (Two Bills games make the list)

MJS

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-games-of-the-2021-nfl-season-bills-chiefs-giants-cowboys-make-list

Here's the list from the article on NFL.com:

10) Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Jets

9) New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys

8 ) Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Los Angeles Rams

7) Buffalo Bills at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

"If the Bills are looking for a test of their true ability -- one that doesn't have "KC" on its helmet -- they'll receive one in the form of the defending champions. After losing by two touchdowns to the Chiefs in the AFC title game, Buffalo sat at home and watched the team that just defeated them get its doors blown off in the Super Bowl. The team that delivered the beatdown is on Buffalo's schedule this season. It's time to see how the surging Bills stack up.

Buffalo won't be meeting a complete stranger in this game, either. Tom Brady single-handedly ruined Western New York's hopes for two decades, save for a stray upset win with Drew Bledsoe at the controls, and it's about time a strong Bills team attempts to avenge its many losses at the hands of the greatest of all time. Tampa Bay, meanwhile, gets a chance to further prove its supremacy by taking on the AFC's runner-up a year after dominating its champion."

6) Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

5) Kansas City Chiefs at Baltimore Ravens

4) Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers

3) Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs

"Last season's AFC Championship Game got off to a promising -- if not stunning -- start before Kansas City's offense woke up and removed any real intrigue. It was a disappointing end to what was initially billed a high-flying conference title game between the reigning champions and perhaps the only AFC team equipped to keep pace with them.

Instead, it was largely a flop. But after an offseason in which the Bills quietly added in areas of need and the Chiefs impressively revamped their offensive line, this rematch of two top-tier squads could give us a much more entertaining showdown, set to once again take place at Arrowhead. Can Josh Allen outduel Patrick Mahomes? Will we get more defensive resistance from the Bills this time around? Might this be a key result that could sway the conference's seeding? Check back in for the answers this fall."

2) Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New England Patriots

1) Green Bay Packers at Kansas City Chiefs

(Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills made the honorable mentions as well)

Any issues with that list? Any games missing? I think the two that they chose for the Bills are super intriguing. I'd almost put the Bucs game ahead of the Chiefs game (almost). There's so many interesting storylines there, like facing Brady on a different team. McDermott has not beaten a Brady lead team before. Plus, they are the defending super bowl champs and the Bills were within one game of the super bowl. It's an excellent measuring stick. But that Chiefs game is the big elephant in the room. The Bills faced them twice last year and couldn't beat them. Looking forward to the season!

Edited by MJS

I don't get what they mean by number 7.  The Bills had two stray upset wins against the Patriots in the Brady era not one.

The 2003 Bledsoe Bills opener as alluded

The 2011 week 3 game Fitzpatrick started.  

I know I sound like I'm nitpicking/being whiny but little stuff like that makes it sound like some know it all shill wrote that article 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

I don't get what they mean by number 7.  The Bills had two stray upset wins against the Patriots in the Brady era not one.

I know I sound like I'm nitpicking/being whiney but little stuff like that makes it sound like some know it all shill wrote that article 

I caught that as well and wasn't sure what the writer meant. But, it's pretty embarrassing how little the Bills could beat the Pats regardless.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I know I sound like I'm nitpicking/being whiney but little stuff like that makes it sound like some know it all shill wrote that article 

Br🤬dy can be seen in full video crying after loss to Buffalo. 

Unbeaten Bills pick off Tom Brady 4 times, end 15-game skid vs. Pats

McKelvin actually caught an interception, great endzone interception for TD, Donald Jones made up for deflection, Drayton Florence's 27-yard interception return for a touchdown, Jackson was running thru New England defense, Stevie was on making spectacular plays and Fitzpatrick was throwing bullets, and game win at buzzer.  

Game highlights (no lowlights)

• Like (+1) 2

With the Brady intrigue the Bucs and Bills as a possible SB preview is a better game for the NFL.

I do agree with Jags Jets being on the list. Of course it depends on where it lands in the schedule, how and if each rookie QB is starting.

I would sub out KC Ravens for KC and the Chargers for this top 10 list. Herbert is the shiny new toy and the Chargers are a division rival. 

Otherwise it is a solid list and still many other games like pretty much every NFC West division game could be considered.

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

With the Brady intrigue the Bucs and Bills as a possible SB preview is a better game for the NFL.

I do agree with Jags Jets being on the list. Of course it depends on where it lands in the schedule, how and if each rookie QB is starting.

I would sub out KC Ravens for KC and the Chargers for this top 10 list. Herbert is the shiny new toy and the Chargers are a division rival. 

Otherwise it is a solid list and still many other games like pretty much every NFC West division game could be considered.

I feel like the Ravens have lost a bit of their luster, personally. They are still good, obviously, but Lamar Jackson and their running offense is no longer a novelty. And a few defenses, including the Bills, have shut them down.

So yeah, I can agree with the Chargers game taking their place.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I completely forgot we were up 9-0 vs KC in the AFCCG. I had to go back and watch highlights. I couldn't remember anything from the game. 

Same. In my mind we just got beat from start to finish. I'll have to go back and watch that game at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I completely forgot we were up 9-0 vs KC in the AFCCG. I had to go back and watch highlights. I couldn't remember anything from the game. 

Lol spot on. Exactly where I am. I remember a lot of games from the season, but mostly because I rewatched them the following week.

I never got back to AFCCG. I will do it at some point, but right now I don't remember anything except for the fact that we've got dominated from start to finish and never really got a chance. I totally forgot that we led. But as it is mentioned now in this thread I realize that there was some turnover or something and we capitalized.

I've also noticed that many people blame some Singletary drop for the loss. I vaguely remember something, but I am pretty sure that I didn't get the feeling that we were one drop away from being competitive in that game. If anybody cares to remind me when and how it happened I'd be interested (I am saving rewatch for July/August).

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Jets/Jags...worst against almost worst.   Marketing view of what makes quality football....

It's because of the new, highly drafted rookie QB's.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Br🤬dy can be seen in full video crying after loss to Buffalo. 

Unbeaten Bills pick off Tom Brady 4 times, end 15-game skid vs. Pats

McKelvin actually caught an interception, great endzone interception for TD, Donald Jones made up for deflection, Drayton Florence's 27-yard interception return for a touchdown, Jackson was running thru New England defense, Stevie was on making spectacular plays and Fitzpatrick was throwing bullets, and game win at buzzer.  

Game highlights (no lowlights)

One of the most fun games I've ever attended 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

#10 and #9 make you not even want to take the list seriously enough to continue reading

#9 I agree with you on. They just feel compelled to put a Cowboys game on there for some reason. But #10 with the two new rookie QB's could be interesting, to me at least.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

#9 I agree with you on. They just feel compelled to put a Cowboys game on there for some reason. But #10 with the two new rookie QB's could be interesting, to me at least.

I agree, but I think I could better accept Jets vs Jags if the list was titled “Most Intriguing Games of 2021”. I can’t place that game in the top ten best matchups, as the article states comprise this list. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Lol spot on. Exactly where I am. I remember a lot of games from the season, but mostly because I rewatched them the following week.

I never got back to AFCCG. I will do it at some point, but right now I don't remember anything except for the fact that we've got dominated from start to finish and never really got a chance. I totally forgot that we led. But as it is mentioned now in this thread I realize that there was some turnover or something and we capitalized.

I've also noticed that many people blame some Singletary drop for the loss. I vaguely remember something, but I am pretty sure that I didn't get the feeling that we were one drop away from being competitive in that game. If anybody cares to remind me when and how it happened I'd be interested (I am saving rewatch for July/August).

I thought I was the only who didn’t have a great recollection of the Singletary drop. I didn’t even remember it. Revoke my Bills fan card if you must, but I was quite tuned out during that game. The anticipation leading up to the game quickly vanished when it was clear we were outmatched. That was clear from the first snap imo. 

8 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

The Singletary drop happened when we were leading 9-7

2nd & 7 at KC 49

(12:46 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to D.Singletary.

I think people like to point to that play as a "what if" moment. It looked like Singletary would've easily gotten 10+ yards on that play, and maybe with a 1st down near the red zone the Bills offense would've gotten into a rhythm, and the entire game would've looked different from that moment on. 

Truthfully we got dominated the entire game, and only had a 9-0 lead because we won the coin toss, Tyreek Hill dropped an easy 20+ yard gain on the Chiefs first drive, and the muffed punt that we recovered at the 3 yard line. 

40 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

#10 and #9 make you not even want to take the list seriously enough to continue reading

I know the reason why they chose Jets Vs. Jaguars, but still it's Jets vs. Jaguars.

Cowboys vs. Giants makes no sense at all as a Top 10 game. Yet they still put this game on as a Sunday Night match-up despite it being an average to below average game all the time.

• Like (+1) 1