I See No Lies: NFLonCBS which of 8 teams has the best receivers?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IIRC Diggs and Beas were both injured late in games we had well in hand wk 16 and 17

The Beas injury was on a throw to try and get him to 1,000 yards. I am conflicted on it because I do think it was unnecessary for him to be out there but the fact that McDermott likes those kind of personal milestone things for his players at the end of seasons almost as a reward for being team first all year is part of how he has built this thing. Also if you were going to do it then at the end of a game where the Pats were deflated had less chance of injury than giving him a few snaps early the following week against a Miami team with the playoffs on the line for them. Was just one of those things I think. 

Diggs the next week I have no sympathy with them on. He shouldn't even have suited up for that game. I love squishing the Fish as much as the next guy but he was too critical to us. It was an enjoyable watch but Josh and Stef were out there way too long. 

• Agree 2

There are a few teams with an Elite Top 2 pairing. 

Seattle fits that now with Metcalf and Lockett, and they drafted Eskridge. 

Julio and Ridley are just as a good as Metcalf and Lockett combined.  

Then you have teams with potential. 

On paper the Dolphins took a step forward with Fuller and Waddle added to Parker. Injuries and suspensions hurt their case.  

Cincinnati could be good with Chase, Higgins and Boyd. 

The 49ers top two are good with Samuel and Aiyuk. 

Same with the Vikings. 

Steelers may have a #1 in Claypool, but Smith-Schuster has not been the same player since the Cleveland concussion and Johnson has too many drops. 

For the Bills to be the best, I think they need another top-flight/legitimate #1 type WR to pair with Diggs. Sanders is on a 1-year deal, let's see if Gabe Davis can take #2 role this year. 

4 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

Honestly, I’m more worried than ever about our guys having enough gas in the tank for another deep playoff run.  Our receivers were the walking wounded at the end of last season.  There are 17 regular season games this year.  I hear the talk that no one is healthy at the end of a football season but it seemed to me that our offense’s complete reliance on the passing game potentially correlated to an increased chance for our receivers to be injured, which they were.  I sincerely hope that we have enough horses in the barn to make a deep run.  I also hope we achieve a better offensive balance this year.  

How about that it sucks that they both got injured at the wrong time and that "running da ball" likely wouldn't have changed that? We saw when Beasley got injured, but not Diggs. For all we know, it could have happened executing a block or even off the field. Injuries happen in the NFL all the time, we just got unlucky with both the severity and who they affected. I'm not keen on using this as an excuse to run the ball more.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, GoBills808 said:

Browns didn’t have a guy in the top 35 last year😂😂

OBJ is so overrated. If you can't stay on the field, then you can't put up stats. Even when he's healthy, he whined if he's not getting like 50% of passes thrown his way. The Browns did not miss him at all last year.

Landry is a nice player but elite? Come on.

I'm also surprised by the lack of Beasley love in here. That guy is absolutely elite at what he does. Him and Diggs can go up against pretty much anyone.

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

How about that it sucks that they both got injured at the wrong time and that "running da ball" likely wouldn't have changed that? We saw when Beasley got injured, but not Diggs. For all we know, it could have happened executing a block or even off the field. Injuries happen in the NFL all the time, we just got unlucky with both the severity and who they affected. I'm not keen on using this as an excuse to run the ball more.

We also lost Smoke as well.  I agree that it’s not a good reason to emphasize the run game more so than the passing game.  I just hope our wideouts make it through this season unscathed.  Maybe a better argument for increased tight end production.

I mean, who ya really going to take out of that for Diggs and Beasley?  I mean the argument can be made for the Vikes, but Jefferson had a rookie season bettter than any season Diggs ever had, until he got here.  I guess you could argue the Rams too, but those guys are really damn good, so I don’t really see anything wrong with the list.  All those teams have more physically dominating guys, which will always get more attention, it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I mean, who ya really going to take out of that for Diggs and Beasley?  I mean the argument can be made for the Vikes, but Jefferson had a rookie season bettter than any season Diggs ever had, until he got here.  I guess you could argue the Rams too, but those guys are really damn good, so I don’t really see anything wrong with the list.  All those teams have more physically dominating guys, which will always get more attention, it is what it is. 

So to me - Rams (both are better than Beas but neither is close to Stef), Panthers (same deal) and Browns (because the last time OBJ actually dominated on the field was a long old time ago). But I think you can argue as a 1-2 punch Keenan Allen and Mike Williams have been unfairly missed off too.

• Like (+1) 1

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the 2020 top passing teams' stats were for just their WRs.

So, I subtracted the TE yards from each teams' total passing yards.

TOTAL PASSING YARDS OF THE TOP 9 PASSING TEAMS

FROM 2020 w/TE PRODUCTION SUBTRACTED (WRs ONLY)

BUF   4,344

HOU  4,043

ATL   4,024

DAL   3,877

TB     3,725

LAC   3,670

KC     3,526

DET   3,362

LVR   3,033

Why only 9 teams? Because from the 10th team on, no team's total passing yards (including their TE production) was as much as the Bills WRs on their own.

Seems crazy that the most productive WR corps in the league last year, with the top receiver from last year, and their only loss being a net gain by picking up Sanders (Brown had 458 yds and 3 TDs last year; Sanders 726 and 5 TDs), wouldn't be in the conversation.

Of the 8 teams selected by NFLonCBS, only 3 were in the top 10 in receiving yards last year. The other 5 teams were ranked 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 24th. I know football is a complex team sport and things can change drastically from one season to the next---and more goes into passing stats than just how good the WRs are (like QB, scheme, O-line, etc.). But the post said, "Who has the best WR corps." You could use a lot of criteria for such a ranking, but to me, the "best" has to mean production. And I do not see how all 8 of those teams leap-frog the Bills group, even weighing in offseason moves (draft and FA). None of those teams acquired a big name free agent WR, and only 4 of those teams spent a high draft pick on a WR [3 late second-rounders (LAR, SEA, CAR), and a third rounder (CLE)]. I'm not saying we are the best/most talented, or whatever...but how are our guys not top 8 with that production (300 yards more than the next team, 1,000 yards better than the 9th team).

And even if they were talking about WR duos (because most of the pictures are two players only---even though the title is "corps"), well again, based on last year, wouldn't the best be the players with the most yards?

Diggs/Beasley: 2,502 yards

Lockett/Metcalf: 2,357

Jefferson/Thielen: 2,325

Anderson/Moore: 2,289

Ridley/Jones: 2,145 (Jones missed 7 games)

Lamb/Cooper: 2,049

Kupp/Woods: 1,910 

Evans/Godwin: 1,846 (Godwin missed 4 games)

Landry/Beckham 1,159 (Odell missed 9 games)

I just don't see us dropping from the #1 overall receiver, the #1 overall yards by WRs, the #1 WR duo, #3 overall in passing and receiving (TEs included), all the way down to 9th place or worse. Yes, there are a lot of big names, high draft picks, and talent on that list...but our guys are pretty damn talented too (regardless of draft position or name recognition).

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 6:48 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

How are Mims and Moore already good?

You state Gabe Davis after one year is inconsistent but then label Corey Davis as good when he’s been even more inconsistent in his 4 years?  

Wow.

Good point .. in fact it appears Mims is on the roster bubble 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/07/jets-2020-second-round-pick-denzel-mims-may-be-on-the-roster-bubble/

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I read an article a couple weeks back rating teams weapons offensively and also downgraded the Bills at stated something to the fact:  It talked how they let go John Brown their #1 WR going into last year for Sanders.  He was their #1 only because they were pretty bad overall the year prior.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:59 PM, ScottLaw said:

Diggs is a top outside WR. Beasleys a very good a slot. Outside of that they have an 34 YO Sanders who’s not who he was and a 2nd year WR in Davis who flashed but was also inconsistent.... solid unit but best in the league? Nah. 

It seems just about every team in the league is building their teams to have at least 3 good WRs. Hell, even the Jets have 4 seemingly good options in Corey Davis, Mims, Crowder, and now Elijah Moore

Mims, who did little in his rookie season, and Moore, who's never played an NFL down, are "seemingly good options, while Davis, who snagged 7 TDs as a rookie, "flashed, but was also inconsistent"?

Makes so much sense....

Edited by Bermuda Triangle

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Mims, who did little in his rookie season, and Moore, who's never played an NFL down, are "seemingly good options, while Davis, who snagged 7 TDs as a rookie, "flashed, but was also inconsistent"?

Makes so much sense....

Davis is going to have a big year this year...