The Importance Of Balance For The OL

H2o

We all saw Josh put up some amazing numbers last year. Yards, TD's, low turnover ratio, 2nd in MVP voting, and he broke all kinds of Bills records. There is no denying the young man's growth. I found this article from an interview with Ravens newly signed OT Alejandro Villanueva very interesting though. He talks about how important it is to at least have balance for the OL between the running and passing game. It helps to keep the pass rushers off balance and not be able to get into a rhythm as he put it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Villanueva told reporters “it becomes very stressful” for linemen when you drop back to pass over and over again because it gives pass rushers — he used Myles Garrett as an example — a lot of chances to get into a rhythm. That makes him feel that Baltimore’s a better fit for him than it is for players at other positions.

“It was incredibly challenging that we knew we had to go with these gameplans that involved passing the ball, potentially, the entire game and not really practice or rehearse that other part of football that relieves some of that angst,” Villanueva said. “So, the mentality, when you have a balanced offense, or when you run the ball, it’s obviously better for the offensive line.

Many teams basically pinned their ears back and came at Josh all game long because there was honestly no threat of a running game. Last year Josh was sacked a total of 38 times, including the playoffs, but he was hit a hell of a lot more. We all remember Feliciano clapping on the field when we ran the ball a couple of times in a row and had some nice gains. The big guys love that stuff, being able to maul people moving forward instead of always trying to hold your ground upright. Yes we were 13-3. Yes we made it to the AFC Championship game. It was a great season. But if we are going to get where we want, hoisting a Lombardi, I believe we need a bit more balance. If we can get our big guys going, and keep defenses guessing, then it will just open up things for Josh that much more. He will also get hit less. Our RB's only accounted for 81 yds per game on the ground, between all of them. Singletary and Moss were #37 and #43 last year in the NFL in yards per game. If we can get this ground game going then I think we take that next step, with that next step being Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lets hope with the new rejuvenated Motor.....the OL returning intact for the most part and the new infusion this offseason and draft that the Bills can create this mismash of a running game and keep JA upright more...... 

The Bills have a decision to make this offseason. They can choose to ignore the run and say we’re going all in on a passing attack because that’s our strength ...or they can spend the summer fixing what didn’t work, the running game. There’s only so many practice sessions and preseason games to get it done. I place this squarely in the lap of the OC and I’m hoping he chooses the latter. There’s no savior draft pick or free agent coming to ignite the run game. As Gene Hackman told the fans, players and their parents in Hoosiers “This is your team!” It’s time to get to work Brian.

Edited by SoCal Deek

29 minutes ago, H2o said:

We all saw Josh put up some amazing numbers last year. Yards, TD's, low turnover ratio, 2nd in MVP voting, and he broke all kinds of Bills records. There is no denying the young man's growth. I found this article from an interview with Ravens newly signed OT Alejandro Villanueva very interesting though. He talks about how important it is to at least have balance for the OL between the running and passing game. It helps to keep the pass rushers off balance and not be able to get into a rhythm as he put it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Many teams basically pinned their ears back and came at Josh all game long because there was honestly no threat of a running game. Last year Josh was sacked a total of 38 times, including the playoffs, but he was hit a hell of a lot more. We all remember Feliciano clapping on the field when we ran the ball a couple of times in a row and had some nice gains. The big guys love that stuff, being able to maul people moving forward instead of always trying to hold your ground upright. Yes we were 13-3. Yes we made it to the AFC Championship game. It was a great season. But if we are going to get where we want, hoisting a Lombardi, I believe we need a bit more balance. If we can get our big guys going, and keep defenses guessing, then it will just open up things for Josh that much more. He will also get hit less. Our RB's only accounted for 81 yds per game on the ground, between all of them. Singletary and Moss were #37 and #43 last year in the NFL in yards per game. If we can get this ground game going then I think we take that next step, with that next step being Super Bowl. 

With the Steelers they started the season very balanced, but once their running game stalled they became one dimensional and Ben was too old to do it by himself. In contrast the Bills made it work despite being fairly one dimensional. I'm sure McD and Daboll would welcome a more effective run game, the flip side of that is do you want to keep giving Moss and Singletary the ball as opposed to the highly effective pass catchers? I think what I want to see is these RBs step up and actually do more with the chances they get with these light boxes. 

23 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Well, it seems like the future of our oline is tall and athletic - in other words, don't get your hopes up.

I think we are in a weird place in terms of what we want to do with our O-Line and running game. We have a mixed bag of O-Lineman. Guys like Dawkins (who is very athletic) and Feliciano are supposed to be "mauler" type guys. Then you have Morse, Bates and the guys who we drafted who are athletic types along with a guy like Forrest Lamp who are more finesse type players with extremely high RAS scores. We saw more running success two years ago when we had a fullback and ran more pin and pull and gap type plays. We seem to be heading more towards a zone type team, but don't have zone type running backs. And we have linemen like Ford, Boettger, and Feliciano who do not excel in the zone game and moving laterally. 

So I feel like there is an identity crisis goin on. And that's why I think Lamp will eventually start if they want better pass blockers.

If you want an athletic, pass heavy team you go: 

Dawkins-Lamp-Morse-Bates-Williams (All college LTs except Williams)

If you want to go Heavy big guys you go: 

Dawkins-Boettger-Feliciano-Ford-Williams

I don't think any of those wind up as the starting offensive line. I like the first group better. They are highly athletic and actually very strong (Morse 36 reps, Lamp 34, Bates 28). 

At the end of the day, it is going to be some combination of these guys, which again shows the identity crisis in run game construction. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I'm likely higher on the addition of Matt Breida than most, but his elite speed should force defenses to respect the possibility of off-tackle runs unlike last season where they could cheat inside. Hoping he can stay healthy and get a handful of snaps each game.

Completely agree. Motor and Moss have no shot of getting the edge. You have to have at least the threat of it. Breida was a good get. The fact that we didn’t draft a RB after BB’s comments about needing speed there is telling. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think we are in a weird place in terms of what we want to do with our O-Line and running game. We have a mixed bag of O-Lineman. Guys like Dawkins (who is very athletic) and Feliciano are supposed to be "mauler" type guys. Then you have Morse, Bates and the guys who we drafted who are athletic types along with a guy like Forrest Lamp who are more finesse type players with extremely high RAS scores. We saw more running success two years ago when we had a fullback and ran more pin and pull and gap type plays. We seem to be heading more towards a zone type team, but don't have zone type running backs. And we have linemen like Ford, Boettger, and Feliciano who do not excel in the zone game and moving laterally. 

So I feel like there is an identity crisis goin on. And that's why I think Lamp will eventually start if they want better pass blockers.

I don't think any of those wind up as the starting offensive line. I like the first group better. They are highly athletic and actually very strong (Morse 36 reps, Lamp 34, Bates 28). 

At the end of the day, it is going to be some combination of these guys, which again shows the identity crisis in run game construction. 

Just a couple thoughts:

I'll be surprised if Bates makes it this year due to the rookies. They didn't seem to want to use him last year when they could have and we don't need the jack of all trades now since we (hopefully) have decent depth on the inside and outside.

I guess they have moved away from the fullback role, nary a peep has come out about trying to acquire one. It's now all about the pass first it looks like.

I'm also not going to be surprised if Brieda is getting most of the carries this year. With the athletic oline you'd think we'd want to get on the outside more and I don't think Moss and Singletary have the juice to get there consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would disagree on not having zone type backs, Moss is actually perfect for that, he likes going north and south, more of a one cut and go type than anything.  DS can run in pretty much anything, he’s just not fast, but neither was Terrell Davis and that worked out ok for him.  Breida has to stay healthy before I even bother worrying about what he can do.

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I'm likely higher on the addition of Matt Breida than most, but his elite speed should force defenses to respect the possibility of off-tackle runs unlike last season where they could cheat inside. Hoping he can stay healthy and get a handful of snaps each game.

I know highlights aren’t definitive, but even last year in Miami he clearly had a higher gear than most on the field.

Probably highest on him of our HBs because of his experience and production in the league, which is not an indictment of Singletary or Moss - I’m in the OL run blocking improvement is needed camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

Play calling “balance” is as said up thread, is the way to keep defenses off balance as it were, our lack of the run game being an effective part of the offense made our O pretty much one dimensional, that dimension was very effective,  until it wasn’t...   gotta have other tools available when the one you’re using breaks down, we didn’t have that this past season, and it bit us in the azs.  Beane made it abundantly clear to the coaches and players that we will have an effective run game going forward, I believe that will be the case. 

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I would disagree on not having zone type backs, Moss is actually perfect for that, he likes going north and south, more of a one cut and go type than anything.  DS can run in pretty much anything, he’s just not fast, but neither was Terrell Davis and that worked out ok for him.  Breida has to stay healthy before I even bother worrying about what he can do.

It's true, those guys should be fine in any scheme. I think Moss would be an absolute beast in a Greg Roman type of Power O. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised to read this. I’ve never known an OLman who didn’t love to dominate in the run game. There is nothing more demoralizing to a defense than getting its ass whipped play after play over the course of a drive, especially in the 4th quarter when it really starts to show. 

Somebody mentioned our frequent use of play action and that would be even more effective with a good running game. Makes it so much easier for OLinemen to sell their play action and run action fakes, especially with a QB as skilled as Allen is with his own fakes. 

• Agree 3

I recall Bill Parcells saying he liked to run draws and screens early in a game to get the D-line thinking about them, and providing that little bit of hesitation. Same idea.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree and disagree.  The games where they passed all day the offense was largely successful, for instance, see the Seahawks game.  Villanueva plays the game so I trust what he is saying and I am sure there is truth to it.  But what I think is important is to be a bit of a chameleon.  If the defense is set up to be passed on, be able to do that.  But if they gear up and take that away, or if the weather dictates you need to run more, you need to be proficient at that also.  They did this successfully vs NE at home.  You need to be a bit of a shape shifter since the game is largely a game of strategy, move/counter move.  The Bills offense was 2nd in yards and points and most in their history, the offense was fantastic.  Having said all that, I also would like to see more balance and I think there is room to improve the run game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I agree and disagree.  The games where they passed all day the offense was largely successful, for instance, see the Seahawks game.  Villanueva plays the game so I trust what he is saying and I am sure there is truth to it.  But what I think is important is to be a bit of a chameleon.  If the defense is set up to be passed on, be able to do that.  But if they gear up and take that away, or if the weather dictates you need to run more, you need to be proficient at that also.  They did this successfully vs NE at home.  You need to be a bit of a shape shifter since the game is largely a game of strategy, move/counter move.  The Bills offense was 2nd in yards and points and most in their history, the offense was fantastic.  Having said all that, I also would like to see more balance and I think there is room to improve the run game.

Yes, Josh played well against Seattle, but he was also sacked 7 times that game. If we can get the running game going then Josh is going to take a lot less punishment, but still likely put up similar numbers due to the defense not being able to key in on any one aspect of our game. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I agree about Breida.  He can run.  And he is from Georgia Southern.  And they know how to run the football, even in this pass happy era. 

Lets hope the Bills don't put him in football purgatory like they did w TJ Yeldon, who was severely misused by the Bills coaching staff.  Did not understand that decision one bit!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1