Bills Dolphins 1983

Highlights of this game just popped up on my YouTube.  What a great game. Bills win 38-35 in OT for the first time since 1966 in Miami.  Marino's first career start. His first pass of the game was a tipped ball INT right after Robb Riddick fumbled the opening kickoff.  Marino had played in the prior game so it was not an INT on fist first ever pass.  Ferguson was great - 5TD and over 400 yards passing. Cribbs, Butler, Lewis were great and Byron Franklin caught two TD passes.  Marino was great two.  Duper had over 200 yards receiving including 2 TDs one from Mark Clayton.  Ben Williams sacked Marino twice.  Talley as a rookie got a sack as well.  The Marino crazy quick release and accuracy was evident right from the start.  

Bills were 4-2 after that game but finished only 8-8.

Cribbs was so good.  Butler too.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SPOILED.

I was getting kinda excited to put it on my to-do list for this offseason.  Until you told me the result AND all the other stuff that will take so much of the fun and drama out of it.

I'm not repeating the details here because, hopefully, you'll edit.

That was a fun watch.  Couple of things struck me:

- I forgot Miami used to have fans that filled the stadium and actually cheered for THEIR team.

- Marino showed flashes obviously but really didn’t play all that well; Fergie clearly outplayed him.  Two INTs, should have had a third, fumbled two snaps inside the 5 and was lucky to keep possession, and short-hopped a number of throws.  People see the 4 TDs and think he lit it up but not really.

- I also forgot Miami missed two FG attempts in OT.

- The Bills had a really, really good offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Ethan; that was indeed a great game (even if the '83 season fizzled out). Sometimes I forget how great Joe Cribbs was. He ran with incredible stop-on-a-dime balance, power and vision -- and was damn near unstoppable as a receiver. Teams would occasionally try to cover him with a LB, and Fergy would just light them up ... Cribbs scored *35* TDs over his first four seasons with the Bills (before he jumped to USFL), despite missing more than half of the '82 season. I don't even think OJ had a more productive 4-year run. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

MAN what a setlist; I would pay good money to hop in a time machine to be there. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/talking-heads/1983/alumni-arena-amherst-ny-43d20bff.html

Crosseyed and Painless is my all-time favorite T-Funk Heads song - and it was the encore?  wowsa.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Highlights of this game just popped up on my YouTube.  What a great game. Bills win 38-35 in OT for the first time since 1966 in Miami.  Marino's first career start. His first pass of the game was a tipped ball INT right after Robb Riddick fumbled the opening kickoff.  Marino had played in the prior game so it was not an INT on fist first ever pass.  Ferguson was great - 5TD and over 400 yards passing. Cribbs, Butler, Lewis were great and Byron Franklin caught two TD passes.  Marino was great two.  Duper had over 200 yards receiving including 2 TDs one from Mark Clayton.  Ben Williams sacked Marino twice.  Talley as a rookie got a sack as well.  The Marino crazy quick release and accuracy was evident right from the start.  

Remember it vividly. Cribbs was my favorite Bill growing up as I've followed our team since 81. Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis were also personal favorites. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Thanks Ethan; that was indeed a great game (even if the '83 season fizzled out). Sometimes I forget how great Joe Cribbs was. He ran with incredible stop-on-a-dime balance, power and vision -- and was damn near unstoppable as a receiver. Teams would occasionally try to cover him with a LB, and Fergy would just light them up ... Cribbs scored *35* TDs over his first four seasons with the Bills (before he jumped to USFL), despite missing more than half of the '82 season. I don't even think OJ had a more productive 4-year run. 

He did. 1973-1976

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Remember it vividly. Cribbs was my favorite Bill growing up as I've followed our team since 81. Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis were also personal favorites. 

Mine too until Thurman came around.  I am so biased towards RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield.  Faulk and Tomlinson were so amazing, just like Thurman.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jeez.. Whippersnappers! Can’t live with ‘em.. pass the beernuts..

🤦‍♂️

Thanks. That was a fun watch. Lot's of "sightings" for me.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

MAN what a setlist; I would pay good money to hop in a time machine to be there. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/talking-heads/1983/alumni-arena-amherst-ny-43d20bff.html

That show is likely available via torrent on Lossless Legs or some other site. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it posted.

Edited by Governor