What's your top 4 pass rush package?

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Oliver is probably the strongest and has the best bend out of anyone not named Hughes. If he isn’t on your list you’re not doing this exercise correctly. 

I get the "athleticism" of Oliver, to an extent.  But, he graded out pretty poorly last year and is probably stronger against the run than the pass.  He just isn't big enough to finish plays on the pass rush....he was so close so many times, but simply did have the capacity/tools to finish the play.  I would not put him in the top 4 pass rushers that we have on the team, particularly after the draft.  Unfortunately, he may be near his ceiling as it relates to a pass rusher.  Now, as a run stopper provided that Star returns and is productive I am sure Oliver will excel in that regard.  Beane even admitted as much, recently, about Oliver.  It seems everyone was hoping/expecting his uber athletic disposition would make up for being undersized (reach, hands, just length overall) but at least for pass rushing this has not panned out.

Either Addison gets traded for a third round pick or  Hughes gets traded for a late second round pick.  This gets a second day draft pick and saves money to help pay Allen.  We have to start shedding the older, expensive, stop gap defensive linemen AND also have to get playing time for the new wave.

The fast rush package is Obada //  Rousseau // Basham // (Hughes or Addison) ..... ..... Epanesa fills in at DE on ocassion but takes a rest. Johnson is the 6th defensive tackle.

This gives us the following heights in the pass rush:   6' 6" //   6' 7"  //  6' 4" //   6'2" or 6'3".    We also have T.Edmunds at 6'5" as a linebacker.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Group1:

Epenesa-Oliver-Rousseau-Hughes

Group2:

Obada-Butler-Basham-Addison

i believe they’ll keep at least 5DE’s (Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, & Basham) and 4DT’s. Basham & Rousseau can slide inside on occasion, Oliver and Butler are the 3T’s while Star and Phillips are the 1T’s with Butler being able to do some 1T as well. Obada will be a borderline 53-man roster player 

14 hours ago, Rockinon said:

The great thing about having so many pass rushers is that you can rotate guys in and out and there is going to be someone who can get there quick no matter who is the starting line. I do think that the coaches have been rethinking what the DL should look like. Haven't figured out what they are thinking but it is clear they want the QB to get smacked around. I think training camp is going to be real interesting. Buffalo has a bunch of young DEs and they are good. Going to be real hard to keep them off the field.

The Bills have a lot of quality depth on both sides of the line.  So we can rotate pass rushers and DL.   And our quality depth will counter when opposing teams try and rotate DL against us.

well done Beane

One thing I’m sure of after reading through the responses is that I have no idea where all of these guys are supposed to line up. There seems to be consensus that Hughes will always be on the outside with Oliver/Star always on the inside...but after that it seems like a crap shoot. I thought Groot and Epinesa are both outside, edge setting DEs...no? And I assumed Basham is a mostly inside guy alongside Oliver in passing situations ...no? 

16 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Oliver is probably the strongest and has the best bend out of anyone not named Hughes. If he isn’t on your list you’re not doing this exercise correctly. 

Here we go with the "bend".  I am still trying to figger out what Elite Bend is and how it is measured compared to those with Great Bend and those with OK Bend.

• Haha (+1) 2

A constant fresh rotation to continually wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Addison is rumored to be traded for Ertz after June 1.  

Where did you read this?!?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kaenon said:

I think I saw it in the Ertz thread, and upgraded it to a rumor in this thread (because I love the idea).  Both Ertz and Addison get reductions after June 1. 

This brilliant move would decrease the overspend on the DL and create the first real short term year over year positional improvement for the team (outside of anticipated growth and development, and maybe Breida).

As for the DL rotation it could survive without Addison.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IndyMark said:

I get the "athleticism" of Oliver, to an extent.  But, he graded out pretty poorly last year and is probably stronger against the run than the pass.  He just isn't big enough to finish plays on the pass rush....he was so close so many times, but simply did have the capacity/tools to finish the play.  I would not put him in the top 4 pass rushers that we have on the team, particularly after the draft.  Unfortunately, he may be near his ceiling as it relates to a pass rusher.  Now, as a run stopper provided that Star returns and is productive I am sure Oliver will excel in that regard.  Beane even admitted as much, recently, about Oliver.  It seems everyone was hoping/expecting his uber athletic disposition would make up for being undersized (reach, hands, just length overall) but at least for pass rushing this has not panned out.

Putting 4 defensive ends- including a couple of bigger ones in on the pass rush is the coming wave that they Bills seem to be preparing for. 4 fast guys, trying to penetrate (with some option of a blitzing LB) means that with 5 OL (6 if the TE or FB blocks) means that there is usually 1 double team but 3(4?) 1 on 1 against a speed rusher.... and the OL has to worry about picking up a blitzing LB or safety.   I THINK  that we will see this next year as an answer to the "mobile" QB, who lives on the ability to do a little footwork and a 5 yard sprint to get away from a 300 pound DT who broke through. ....    There is a new NFL approach coming and the Bills are ahead of the curve.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kaenon said:

I don't think that is the best use of that trade.  I rather a  2/3/high 4 draft pick.  These will be more valuable than normal because of the bigger number of college players who stayed in college and because of the better ability to scout them.  The Bills (a result of doing good) have a lower drafting position and need to take more "long shots" on high ceiling guys.  We need more day 2 crap shots.