One Bills Live May 5 .. Beane is in the Shopping Market ..

1 minute ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

The Bills have very, very, VERY limited cap space and unless the cap increases massively next year (30m+) we're going to have issues getting Allen's extension on the books without it being a slaughter.  Diggs is also ripe for a big extension.

Diggs extension would open up some room. Hopefully there won't be another pandemic anytime soon. Cap should rise a good deal over the next 3 years which will cover most of the Allen and Diggs extensions.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

The Bills have very, very, VERY limited cap space and unless the cap increases massively next year (30m+) we're going to have issues getting Allen's extension on the books without it being a slaughter.  Diggs is also ripe for a big extension.

Allens 5th year option is $23m in 2022

He might sign a new deal in the meantime but doubt that cap hit increases ...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm confident the cap will increase a lot next year as the NFL gets past balancing last years "losses" with the reduction in this year's cap. (I put air quotes around losses since the league still made hundreds of millions).

Not worried about the Josh extension. Exercising the 5th year option allows us to spread some of that extension money over the 5th year as well. Plus, with long term deals, there are lots of ways to fudge things around.

Diggs is still another year from an extension as well. And outside of some ridiculous, anomaly contracts like Hopkins, Diggs is still paid pretty well among WRs.

Finally, and the main point I'd like to make... The Salary Cap is a myth. There are so many ways to adjust and maneuver, it shouldnt even be something us fans worry about. Not even a few weeks ago, New Orleans was $100M over the cap, and now they are fine. And that happens every season. Teams work magic and get it figured out.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm confident the cap will increase a lot next year as the NFL gets past balancing last years "losses" with the reduction in this year's cap. (I put air quotes around losses since the league still made hundreds of millions).

Not worried about the Josh extension. Exercising the 5th year option allows us to spread some of that extension money over the 5th year as well. Plus, with long term deals, there are lots of ways to fudge things around.

Diggs is still another year from an extension as well. And outside of some ridiculous, anomaly contracts like Hopkins, Diggs is still paid pretty well among WRs.

Finally, and the main point I'd like to make... The Salary Cap is a myth. There are so many ways to adjust and maneuver, it shouldnt even be something us fans worry about. Not even a few weeks ago, New Orleans was $100M over the cap, and now they are fine. And that happens every season. Teams work magic and get it figured out.

Go Bills!

Re: your last point - to some extent, yes, but also not entirely. Yeah the Saints got under the cap, but they had to gut their team to do it. They were able to keep a couple foundational players (Thomas, Kamara, Cam Jordan), but many of their mid level and up veterans got cut. Even if Brees was still around and still really good, it’s hard to imagine they’d be a serious contender for the next few years. 

My point is that if the Bills were in that same situation last year, we’d probably be looking at a team fighting for a wildcard spot and hoping to catch fire in the playoffs, instead of a team that’s fighting for the top seed. Those are pretty significantly different. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Allens 5th year option is $23m in 2022

He might sign a new deal in the meantime but doubt that cap hit increases ...

Any deal he signs would be an 'extension' just like Mahomes (As you said, his cap hit will $23m in 2022). Not sure why so many people think Allen "new deal" voids years on his existing deal, but it seems to be a common misconception. 

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Any deal he signs would be an 'extension' just like Mahomes (As you said, his cap hit will $23m in 2022). Not sure why so many people think Allen "new deal" voids years on his existing deal, but it seems to be a common misconception. 

Allen can still sign a contract extension before the start of the 2022 season, which would replace the fifth-year option.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

If he signs a new deal the cap hit for 2022 can be less than the current 5th year number... this is what happened with Mahomes 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

All the more reason they needed to guarantee the inflated salary of Edmunds.  That Beane, what a wizard.

So I don't know were to put this 

Anyway talked to my ticket rep and he told me that season tickets will be sold out by next week.

Zero tickets in the 100 200 level

Just some 300 levels nere  the end zones 5 yard line. Which are still good sight lines but there are up there 7 row back and up.

So if your looking better to buy know.

So if anyone knows I think 67000? Seasons plus 5k individuals tickets per game.

And if your really rich 4 boxes left.

So maybe Shaw can get us in his box seats

Thanks in advance 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the most interesting comments were at the end when Tasker jokingly asked him if he'd cut a player to hit a certain "vaccinated player/coach" ratio in order to loosen the COVID 19 restrictions....Beane answered emphatically "yes."  From the sounds of it they are still working through this season's protocols and there will be some leniency provided to teams that reach a certain % of vaccinations.  Beane detailed some of the challenges that social distancing posed in their ability to hold meetings and were especially impactful to their facilities.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  They also pointed out that the State of New York is allowing full capacity for MLB stadiums to vaccinated ticket holders.  More positive signs for the upcoming season.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I thought the most interesting comments were at the end when Tasker jokingly asked him if he'd cut a player to hit a certain "vaccinated player/coach" ratio in order to loosen the COVID 19 restrictions....Beane answered emphatically "yes."  From the sounds of it they are still working through this season's protocols and there will be some leniency provided to teams that reach a certain % of vaccinations.  Beane detailed some of the challenges that social distancing posed in their ability to hold meetings and were especially impactful to their facilities.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  They also pointed out that the State of New York is allowing full capacity for MLB stadiums to vaccinated ticket holders.  More positive signs for the upcoming season.

That was most interesting to me as well and something I would have expected him to side step without answering. 

But I think it shows how thoughtful Beane is with all his moves. He is not just a talent evaluator he is all about making the entire organization run as well as possible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Go Bills!

This works if you keep drafting very well.   That is Beane's mantra in thsi draft and future drafts...If you draft very well, you can cut or not even acquire expensive FAs.    You continue to develop your own and pay your own.    The main issue with the Bills drafts for the last 3 years is that other than Allen, the rest of the draft picks haven't become  *GREAT*.   They have been good but not blue chip players.    We need to hit on our draft picks to become blue chip players,

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cash said:

Re: your last point - to some extent, yes, but also not entirely. Yeah the Saints got under the cap, but they had to gut their team to do it. They were able to keep a couple foundational players (Thomas, Kamara, Cam Jordan), but many of their mid level and up veterans got cut. Even if Brees was still around and still really good, it’s hard to imagine they’d be a serious contender for the next few years. 

My point is that if the Bills were in that same situation last year, we’d probably be looking at a team fighting for a wildcard spot and hoping to catch fire in the playoffs, instead of a team that’s fighting for the top seed. Those are pretty significantly different. 

The saints were competing for Super Bowls for ten years. It wasn't until Bress retired that they decided to let the cap catch up to them.