Brandon Beane on CBS Sports Radio around 2:40pm EST today

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep The reason he would do it is because he wants to hit the threshold the league has put out there for teams to be able to operate normally. Doubt he judges personally whether anyone chooses to get it or not. He is accountable for running a football team and the league has incentives for percentage of players vaccinated. If his team is under that threshold he’s at a competitive disadvantage ..  plain and simple. 

Same thing if a team chooses not to hire a minority coach from another team if that teams gets an additional draft pick especially if in same division or is potentially obstacle to Superbowl.  There are two points of view and not every one will agree with it.  It is like the rule book which is filled with contradictions.

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep The reason he would do it is because he wants to hit the threshold the league has put out there for teams to be able to operate normally. Doubt he judges personally whether anyone chooses to get it or not. He is accountable for running a football team and the league has incentives for percentage of players vaccinated. If his team is under that threshold he’s at a competitive disadvantage ..  plain and simple. 

Exactly the way to approach it. I don’t give two ***** one way or the other what anyone chooses to do here, but if it’s going to give my team advantage, then so be it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills make it a policy that all personnel needs to be vaccinated, it’s their call. End of story. Good luck to any player or other personnel who would challenge that in court on charges of being “discriminated” against. Non-vaxers are not a protected class. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, Limeaid said:

Beane will cut some players who are not-vaccinated if it gets him under a threshold so the Bills can eliminate social distancing rules requiring masks.

Of course starters probably will not be cut but if you are a UDFA and you want to (or have already signed) play for Bills you get vaccinated.

Rules are probably different for coaches & staff and likely all are vaccinated and not be like Raven's coach which caused them to not being able to use some players in a game.

Is this something he said or speculation on your part?  And if it's speculation... is it based on something he said?

EDIT:  Nevermind... guess he did say it.  Good for him.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If the Bills make it a policy that all personnel needs to be vaccinated, it’s their call. End of story. Good luck to any player or other personnel who would challenge that in court on charges of being “discriminated” against. Non-vaxers are not a protected class. 

Smokers in the workplace are discriminated against too!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Like Bruce being forced back too soon after a knee injury? Again, I am not saying you are wrong. 
    However, the NFL is built upon players putting their health and personal/ professional well being aside for the sake of the team. It is a fact of life in this game. 

Players grew up, trained for, and became NFL athletes, knowing the inherent risk of ligament tears, broken bones and head injury... they didn’t sign up for implied forced vaccination. 

There’s a big difference between known risk and unknown risk.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Not really. They just usually have designated areas where they can smoke, are allotted certain breaks to smoke, or they may not even be able to smoke while at work in some instances. They don't lose their jobs on a whim because the company they work for tells them they have to quit and they refuse. 

Why is this devolving into "personal choice?"

The fact is that the NFL is a private business and therefore can have requirements for vaccinations for their players.  

It's already been decided a century ago by the Supreme Court that vaccinations can be mandated, so those of you arguing that this shouldn't be allowed are free to make that argument if you want.  But the simple fact is that it can be allowed.

NFL players are essentially at-will employees, anyway.  But they make millions of dollars doing it.  If they want to exercise their personal choice, it's their right to risk their jobs and their millions.

I'm glad Beane and the NFL are doing this.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Players grew up, trained for, and became NFL athletes, knowing the inherent risk of ligament tears, broken bones and head injury... they didn’t sign up for implied forced vaccination. 

Then they are free to find another career where their "personal choice" is not infringed upon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Then they are free to find another career where their "personal choice" is not infringed upon.

The players could play for an NFL team that doesn't require a vaccination.

Requiring vaccinations is hardly new.  Prevalent requirement to work/visit in quite a few areas of the world.  All for the greater good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

The players could play for an NFL team that doesn't require a vaccination.

Requiring vaccinations is hardly new.  Prevalent requirement to work/visit in quite a few areas of the world.  All for the greater good.

I will go out on a limb and assume every nfl team is going to do everything possible to reach the percentage threshold to operate in the most effective fashion. None will “require” it. All will prefer it though, because they are responsible for running a team. So if a player gets cut and isn’t vaxxed, he could get signed by another team that isn’t in danger of not reaching the threshold therefore it’s just the consequence on that player - will need to test every day, wear a mask in the facility and sideline, socially distance in meetings, etc. That could hinder the player and potentially the team. So it is their decision, but in this line of work, that decision can have consequences. It is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will go out on a limb and assume every nfl team is going to do everything possible to reach the percentage threshold to operate in the most effective fashion. None will “require” it. All will prefer it though, because they are responsible for running a team. So if a player gets cut and isn’t vaxxed, he could get signed by another team that isn’t in danger of not reaching the threshold therefore it’s just the consequence on that player - will need to test every day, wear a mask in the facility and sideline, socially distance in meetings, etc. That could hinder the player and potentially the team. So it is their decision, but in this line of work, that decision can have consequences. It is what it is. 

I agree 100% with your first sentence.  It may not be required in writing but players may feel compelled to get it to secure roster spot.  Like you say, it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If you are good with multiple shots of toradol to cover the pain of injury so you can “ gut it out” and play a vaccination shouldn’t be a problem. 

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

😄Years ago, when my former company banned smoking inside the building, it helped me quit because I just couldn’t reconcile “why am I standing here freezing my balls off.” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If you are good with multiple shots of toradol to cover the pain of injury so you can “ gut it out” and play a vaccination shouldn’t be a problem. 

Are you an elite athlete in perfect shape?  They know what is going in their body via a toradol shot.   They don’t know if there will be any effects on their body next year, year after, year after etc., from putting this vaccine in them. 

Imagine your whole life revolving around being in optimal shape - this virus being of almost no risk to you, and having this, essentially, forced on you because of reasons I won’t get into, as this conversation has decently stayed above the fray. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Eyeroll 3

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Are you an elite athlete in perfect shape?  They know what is going in their body via a toradol shot.   They don’t know if there will be any effects on their body next year, year after, year after etc., from putting this vaccine in them. 

Imagine your whole life revolving around being in optimal shape - this virus being of almost no risk to you, and having this, essentially, forced on you because of reasons I won’t get into, as this conversation has decently stayed above the fray. 

Have you paid attention in particular to all the stories that have come out from retired NFL players?  You honestly think these guys are making choices to get shot up with whatever multitude of things these guys get shot up with understanding the long-term side-effects or repercussions of these shots? 

Same thing goes with the NFL's history of concussions among the players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The risks associated with a Covid infection is well known. 

After over 1.3 billion vaccine doses administered worldwide, any inherent risk of being vaccinated barely registers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Not really. They just usually have designated areas where they can smoke, are allotted certain breaks to smoke, or they may not even be able to smoke while at work in some instances. They don't lose their jobs on a whim because the company they work for tells them they have to quit and they refuse. 

In a hospital setting they can unless on property not at hospital

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

A vaccinated person develops antibodies to fight off the virus.  That is all.  It does not protect others who aren't vaccinated.

Vaccinating people, which prevents them from contracting the virus and spreading it to others, is the very definition of protecting others who aren’t vaccinated. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

😄Years ago, when my former company banned smoking inside the building, it helped me quit because I just couldn’t reconcile “why am I standing here freezing my balls off.” 

So, THAT’s what happened!?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, THAT’s what happened!?

Yep, and then the first wife just cut ‘em off, said I wouldn’t be needing them anymore, and that was that.

• Haha (+1) 4