Antwan Woods Released

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Star wasn't bad with the Bills. His role is an unsexy one that won't show up on the stats sheet. Did you notice how big of a drop off our D-Line had last season without him? It wasn't a coincidence. He makes the rest of the line better by eating blockers.

I don't think it was Star. Star isn't a force out there eating blocks. Oliver has been doubled since entering the league. What Star does well is hold his ground though. 

Star is a below average DT. But like I said he is good for a stalemate 1v1.

Our issues last year came from lack of meetings and confusion up front. There were a lot of new players. Defense improved a lot the last 7-8 games. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Cowboys cut Woods today. Dunno much about the player other than he started last year, and is listed as 1T. (Also says 300lbs, sounds small for the position). Anyone more up to date than me, if we'd be interested or if he could fit with us?

Are we sure we want someone who spells Antowain wrong?

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Star wasn't bad with the Bills. His role is an unsexy one that won't show up on the stats sheet. Did you notice how big of a drop off our D-Line had last season without him? It wasn't a coincidence. He makes the rest of the line better by eating blockers.

I think losing Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson played more of a role than losing Star. 

Star was mediocre even before he took a year off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The sources I saw listed him at 310 lbs.  He is probably at the low end of what I would want to see size wise as a nose tackle.  Dallas drafted a couple of DTs and apparently ended up with more than they felt they needed.  One of the guys they drafted is huge, Quinton Bohanna at nearly 370 lbs.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is pretty obvious they don't have any interest in Snacks. If they had when Star opted out they'd have made the call. 

Well, sure GunnerBill.........but that makes it seem like Harrison has been singled out.

What 1 tech have they even brought in for a visit or workout since Star opted out and they subsequently released Vincent Taylor?

None.   The one week they had tryouts they brought in two penetrators and Zimmer was added.

What 1 tech were they connected to in free agency or the draft process?

Nobody.

Other than long snapper I think that's the only position they haven't even tried to address with depth since last summer.

As I said last season..........maybe they ACTUALLY prefer asking some guys who can pass rush or actually get off a block once in a while and make a tackle.......to absorb the schematically induced double team for a modest number of snaps rather than playing a traffic cone 45% of the snaps.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I know you and others have insisted that the problems the Bills DL had were all because of losing Star...........but I still contend that losing the 340 3T and LDE who both played out of their heads in their contract walk years and combined for 16 sacks was a lot more important.

As was going from the feeble 2019 schedule.....perhaps the organization's easiest schedule since the NFL went to 16 game seasons in 1978.........to playing a schedule with more playoff teams on it that any other team in 2020.

Star was not good in 2019.    The Bills pursued DJ Reader to replace him last March and then made him take a pay cut.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know you and others have insisted that the problems the Bills DL had were all because of losing Star...........but I still contend that losing the 340 3T and LDE who both played out of their heads in their contract walk years and combined for 16 sacks was a lot more important.

As was going from the feeble 2019 schedule.....perhaps the organization's easiest schedule since the NFL went to 16 game seasons in 1978.........to playing a schedule with more playoff teams on it that any other team in 2020.

Star was not good in 2019.    The Bills pursued DJ Reader to replace him last March and then made him take a pay cut.  

Sigh. No, nobody - not a single person - has "insisted that the problems the Bills DL had were ALL because of losing Star," as you wildly wail above.  Not one person. As usual, you're throwing out wild exaggerations and straw men in a desperate attempt to make a point ... any point. What many people have said on the other hand, is that Star's loss was a major factor in the DL's problems. Not that it caused all the problems. Just that it was a major factor. Among people taking this position were Brandon Beane, when he said in the after-season press conference that they were very light on the DL this year and that it caused problems.

The 2019 schedule was indeed easy. But the Bills defense allowed nearly every team far less than their average that year, in both yards and points. They were a terrific defense in 2019. You can ask pretty much anyone about this, around the league, except perhaps for a small cabal of miserablists here on this board who find the worst to think about everything Bills-related.

You keep moaning about the pay cut. Yet again, there were concessions on both sides.

Star gave up $1.75M on his 3rd year of a $50M contract, and the Bills guaranteed an extra year and on top of that guaranteed yet another year against injury. Those are concessions on both sides.

Star was very good in 2019, as well as 2018. Not at racking up statistics, as so many on here require. The role they ask him to fill does not demand a lot of stats. They signed him knowing the type of player he was, because he fills a role that McDermott needs filled on this defense. He'll never tally up a ton of stats.

He'll never be a three-down guy because he doesn't threaten sacks. He just lets the LBs run free and eats up double teams and blockers, which is what they need him to do, what they signed him to do. It would be great if he did also rush the passer well, but he'd also be more expensive. They knew what they were getting. They coached the guy in Carolina. And they made a point to bring him to Buffalo.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He does not eat up blockers,  rarely gets double teamed as he's usually handled by the center, he gets blasted off the LOS and we were worse against the run with him.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well, sure GunnerBill.........but that makes it seem like Harrison has been singled out.

What 1 tech have they even brought in for a visit or workout since Star opted out and they subsequently released Vincent Taylor?

None.   The one week they had tryouts they brought in two penetrators and Zimmer was added.

What 1 tech were they connected to in free agency or the draft process?

Nobody.

Other than long snapper I think that's the only position they haven't even tried to address with depth since last summer.

As I said last season..........maybe they ACTUALLY prefer asking some guys who can pass rush or actually get off a block once in a while and make a tackle.......to absorb the schematically induced double team for a modest number of snaps rather than playing a traffic cone 45% of the snaps.

And yet another silly argument.

Snacks absolutely was singled out. He was singled out in that he was one of the few space-eating DTs with a solid pedigree who was actually available after Star opted out ... on July 28th.

Outside of Snacks, who were all the space-eating 1-techs who the Bills could have brought in after that? There were a few dregs and drabs, but there just weren't guys good enough to do the job. Snacks was pretty much the only one with much of a name. He was singled out by his circumstances.

The likely reason they weren't connected with FAs or prospects in the 2019 offseason is that they thought they had Star until July 28th.

This year, they do have Star coming back. And yet, in this year's draft, they were connected with a couple of DTs. Astro connects guys to the Bills based on his knowledge of Bills visits, and he connected them with Shelvin, Marvin Wilson, Tonga, Bobby Brown and Jonathan Marshall. If they weren't connected with any space-eating DTs it's probably because, again, they have Star coming back and they had little money left for FAs after they brought back their own guys.

You may well have said last year that maybe they prefer a schematically-induced double team. People say nutty things all the time.

If they preferred this, they would never have brought in Star in the first place. They certainly wouldn't have guaranteed his contract for another year. Sorry, it was a wacky idea when you first said it, and it still is.