Creator of RAS (Relative Athletic Score) discusses Josh Allen's RAS scores

Nice interview.  Basically Josh is an athletic freak .. who knew .. but given how much RAS was discussed in the draft thread I found this interesting. 

Josh Allen - freak; Tremaine Edwards - Freak; Greg R. - Freak; Spencer Brown - Freak.  McBeane loves them some upside.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Seems like McBeane likes to take chances on guys with high ceilings in the draft and then use free agency to fill in the gaps. Diggs being an exception to this among others. It is a good approach to get "starters" via free agency and then try and go for the moon in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

They trust their coaches, their culture, and their player development program.  Previous Bills' regimes have squandered raw, athletic prospects because of a terrible development environment.  Fans simplistically look at draft picks that didn't pan out and assume the problem was scouting - but sometimes it's a failure of player development, not selection.  The Bills finally have a structure in place that helps athletes reach their full potential.  It's refreshing.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Nice interview.  Basically Josh is an athletic freak .. who knew .. but given how much RAS was discussed in the draft thread I found this interesting. 

Josh Allen - freak; Tremaine Edwards - Freak; Greg R. - Freak; Spencer Brown - Freak.  McBeane loves them some upside.

The black dude is a cable guy with spectrum, or was 2years ago. He came out to fix my internet on a Saturday when college was on, and we talked football the whole time he was over. SUPERRRRR cool dude

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I found it funny that Bills UDFA safety Tariq Thompson registered a .33 RAS out of 10.

He plays better than that would indicate but apparently RAS scores can get pretty low. :lol:

Wow.

So the Bills brought in a 10 and a .33 from this class.

....Just trying to cover all their bases, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wow.

So the Bills brought in a 10 and a .33 from this class.

....Just trying to cover all their bases, I guess.

Their UDFA approach was definitely different than their draft approach, wrt athleticism.    More about production.    With the exception of McCloud they were mostly guys who were seen as 5th-6th round picks toward the end of last football season but generally didn't really impress in workouts.   

Beane hasnt been overcommited either way to RAS score. Historically he will take guys all over, but this draft was different. Just for reference, some notables:

Josh Allen: 9.67

Singletary: 1.72

Knox: 9.25

VoSean: 0.22

Zach Moss: 2.88

Zay Jones: 9.71 (not Beane I realize, just thought it was funny)

Ed Oliver: 9.87

Ford: 6.33

Taron Johnson: 6.29

Epenesa: 4.07

This draft though, everyone was over 7 I believe except for our 7th rd WR.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/12/31/buffalo-bills-ras-history/

Edited by jletha
  • Thank you (+1) 1