Broncos starting OT Ja’wuan James tears his Achilles

22 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

He was injured working out away from the Broncos facilities.  I believe this means the Broncos don't have to pay him.  If so, players should practice where they are protected.

Yeah, this is about to become a major point of contention between the NFLPA and team owners unless Denver does him a solid and agrees to pay him anyways.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Haven't you heard NFLPA?  They say quality of NFL did not go down with lack of OTAs, training camp and preseason games.  They do believe players should be paid any bonuses though.

I'm *sure* the NFLPA will be there to do something useful for him. They are such an effective entity after all. DeMaurice Smith is truly not a stunning failure whose strategy of negotiate on money and litigate on everything else has been a true success after losing just about every single case he was behind bringing against the NFL. That time was well spent versus doing something that might have given players a better choice.

Seriously, I've witnessed few unions that are as impressively bad as the NFLPA and it not be on purpose. 

• Agree 1

One of the risks inherent in the NFL Players Association’s strategy of encouraging players not to report to offseason work was that a player would suffer a serious injury on his own, and James appears to be the first player to suffer a serious injury while taking that risk.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

One of the risks inherent in the NFL Players Association’s strategy of encouraging players not to report to offseason work was that a player would suffer a serious injury on his own, and James appears to be the first player to suffer a serious injury while taking that risk.

I’m not prepared to handle you doing anything other than making jokes or posting silly GIFs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Opt out = injuries. That’s my prediction.

Almost half our draft class didn’t play last year either

yeah, this bodes well for putting our 1T hopes on Star.  No excuses for the D this year.  It’s on Bean and Frazier if they are subpar again.  With our secondary we should be much better at pass rushing and run D. 

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

He was injured working out away from the Broncos facilities.  I believe this means the Broncos don't have to pay him.  If so, players should practice where they are protected.

This is such a load of crap. I think NFLPA might have a case against the Broncos' stance since the Broncos players were actively advised by the NFLPA to stay away from off-season workouts at the practice facility, no?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/13/broncos-players-skip-offseason-workouts-covid-19-concerns

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Opt out with respect to our draft choices was properly vetted. I make no assumption these kids will be injured at a higher rate than non opt outs, imho. 

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This is such a load of crap. I think NFLPA might have a case against the Broncos' stance since the Broncos players were actively advised by the NFLPA to stay away from off-season workouts at the practice facility, no?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/13/broncos-players-skip-offseason-workouts-covid-19-concerns

The NFLPA cant have a case because it gave it’s members bad advice.  But it’s individual members may have a case against the NFLPA. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Then that's on the NFLPA. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The NFLPA cant have a case because it gave it’s members bad advice.  But it’s individual members may have a case against the NFLPA. 

You are correct - I shd have reworded it as - The NFLPA will have strong incentives to fight it instead of "might have a case".

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Beane hears this news, thinks of all his offensive tackles, and: 

Amazon Prime Video Smile GIF by The Boys

Let me guess...he smiles and twirls his pen? Not sure I would say we have a lot of OTs.  We have more Gs than OTs. Denver does have a surplus of CBs, so it would be worth a call.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Yup.

It's undoubtedly due to opting out and working away from the facilities.

Because we never hear about players injured working out in normal years. I've never heard such a thing before.

I see James' doctors say he might not be season ending.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/04/report-jawuan-james-might-not-miss-entire-season/

Hope that's right.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, turftoe said:

Let me guess...he smiles and twirls his pen? Not sure I would say we have a lot of OTs.  We have more Gs than OTs. Denver does have a surplus of CBs, so it would be worth a call.

We are clearly deep at OT. Dawkins, Williams, Brown, Doyle, Hart. Plus, Ford has played RT and I believe Bates has OT experience. 

Would love a player-for-player trade, but would not be surprised by something like Hart for a 6th or 7th. Heck, if Brown and Doyle come along real quick this summer and Brown shows he can man RT, I would not count out Williams for a 4th or 5th. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

So you are basically saying Star is going to be a no go? 

Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING about the condition Star is or is not in?  Basically the only one of consequence that held out last year, was arguably a missing piece that could or could not have affected the D last season depending on which high level meeting you were privy too 😈 and as far as I have not heard not one word as to if Chicken Wings and beer was his diet of choice or if he kept in shape and is in great condition.  Anyone?  Anyone at all??

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Who is this House and what have you done with him?????

Edited by Kwai San